Newbie here, introducing myself

KingGlamis

Banned
Hey all,
My name is Doug and I have read this board many times and finally decided to join. We go camping a lot, as in 2-3 times a month normally, so as you know, flashlights are important when camping. My wife teases me because I have around 20+ flashlights and I'm always looking to buy another one. But whenever someone needs a flashlight in camp I always have one (or two) handy, so they don't joke when they need one. And the family was sure glad when the power went out in the house and we had enough flashlights to make it through until the power came on again.

I know some of you may laugh, but I do own many "cheap" flashlights that I consider throw-aways. If I lose or break a cheap one, no big deal. But I also have some Mag lights and four DeWalt 18V work lights (see pic below). Those DeWalts may not have a good light pattern, but the battery lasts a long, long time. And when you have four of them, that's a lot of hours worth of light. I once helped a friend pull his engine and transmission and then put them both back in the car in the middle of the desert with only the one DeWalt and the battery held up for the whole process (even though I had three spares just in case).

The DeWalts I have:
DW919_3.jpg

So anyway, I have tinkered with modifying flashlights and have thought of building my own, and I know this is the best place to get and share knowledge. So I look forward to reading the tons of info here and sharing my projects.

Take care all,
Doug

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey Welcome to CPF! Enjoy your stay here. Lots and lots of things/stuffs to learn around here. . .

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome KingGlamis,

Just watch your wallet and tear up all your credit cards!!

Only kidding. Glad to have you onboard.

KingGlamis

Banned
Welcome KingGlamis,

Just watch your wallet and tear up all your credit cards!!

Only kidding. Glad to have you onboard.

I hear you on the wallet thing. That's the wife's main complaint. Actually she's pretty cool about it, she has even bought me a few flashlights. She even TIVO'd that show about flashlights that was on cable (I forget the channel) for me. Was that one of the members here that they showed lighting a fire with a flashlight? I remember reading about that on here a long time ago, but it was cool to see it on TV.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, Doug. I like your introduction, and I appreciate it when a new member has the old fashioned manners to properly introduce himself (though I can't remember if I did it myself! :thinking:). You'll have a lot of fun here, and if your wife thinks you're crazy now, just wait....

KingGlamis

Banned
Welcome to CPF, Doug. I like your introduction, and I appreciate it when a new member has the old fashioned manners to properly introduce himself (though I can't remember if I did it myself! :thinking:). You'll have a lot of fun here, and if your wife thinks you're crazy now, just wait....

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a pretty intelligent guy but I can tell I have a LOT to learn from this forum. I know a decent amount about electronics, batteries, bulbs, etc. What I don't yet know is brand names, product names, etc. For example I had to do a Google search to find out what an EDC is, which seems to be a common name of a light around here. Now I know. One down, a few hundred to go. :D

mdocod

Flashaholic
welcome aboard!

I like your style, lots of cheap lights always adds up to more fun than one pricey one in my book! (more toys!)

KingGlamis

Banned
Welcome aboard, Doug!

The only thing that loses weight around here is your wallet. :laughing:

Looking at your sig, I can see how my wallet could become thin...

SF: 6P, 9P, C2, Z3, M3T, U2, L6, E2L, Inova: XO, XO3, X1(new), X5, T3, T5, Radiant 2AA, 2AAA, Nuwai: TM-801X, TM301X-5, TM301X-3, Q3, ALX-352, ALX-332, ALX-233C, ALX-713, ALX-2512, SL: Jr Lux, Tasklight Lux, PP 4AA Lux, Fenix: L1P, L2P, L2T, L2D CE, P3D CE River Rock 2AAA, Pal light, Infinity Ultra, LEDLogic: Striker VG, UK4AA eLED, McGizmo HD45 5W, Liteflux LF1, Luxogen LR-10W, HF 35W HID, MAG LED 2AA, 3AA