What stores carry a good selection?

KingGlamis

Banned
Sorry if this has been answered before, I searched a little and didn't see anything. What stores are the best to go to for good flashlights? I'm cool with looking at stuff on the net, but would rather purchase at a real store. I'm in Phoenix, AZ (actually Mesa, but very close to Phx). We just got a brand new Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World that opened last week. I haven't been there yet, but I would assume they should have a good selection of flashlights. Any other stores I should be going to in the Phoenix area?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Doug

scottaw

Enlightened
Just do what most people here do, read the reviews, figure out what you want and order online. A lot of online merchants offer CPF members a discount, and many offer free shipping. Check around this site, you'll find plenty of opinions on all of them. Also, the B/S/T forums are a great place to find a light you want that someone else is done with.

carrot

Flashaholic
Something not yet mentioned (I think)... Cabelas. Also, some army-navy stores have good selections.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much every flashlight at every store mentioned would be blown out of the water by a Fenix L2D CE. That's just the way it is in the current market. The brick and morter stores are a year or two behind on the Flashlight technology and some are vastly overpriced.

Get a Cree XR-E edition Fenix, you won't be disappointed.
Fenix-Store

If you want a headlamp however, the Princeton Tec EOS and Apex are the best on the market and are commonly available wherever backpacking equipment is sold. None of the (sub $100) headlamp makers are using the latest LED's but you can swap em yourself pretty easily.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi King,

I am actually on the other side of the world from you. So far since I joined CPF and from reading the revies and comments form others almost all my lights are bought here or on-line stores. So far the journey has been wonderful and I have yet any issues pertaining to buying on-line for that matter. And of course, buying it on-line is more cost effective IMHO.

KingGlamis

Banned
Pretty much every flashlight at every store mentioned would be blown out of the water by a Fenix L2D CE. That's just the way it is in the current market. The brick and morter stores are a year or two behind on the Flashlight technology and some are vastly overpriced.

Get a Cree XR-E edition Fenix, you won't be disappointed.
Fenix-Store

If you want a headlamp however, the Princeton Tec EOS and Apex are the best on the market and are commonly available wherever backpacking equipment is sold. None of the (sub $100) headlamp makers are using the latest LED's but you can swap em yourself pretty easily.

So why not a P3D? Seems to be a better light for not much more money.

And thanks for all the help everyone.

carrot

Flashaholic
The P3D uses lithium (CR123) batteries. The main draw to Fenix for a lot of us is that they use alkaline (AA) batteries -- this is where they got their start, by making the first good quality Luxeon 1xAA light. Also, when you can get as much output as you get from the L2D-CE, using lithiums for just a little bit more doesn't seem so great. But if you want to use lithium CR123 batteries in your Fenix, you will be quite pleased with the P3D.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I dont' know if they are in the Mesa area, but Sportsman's Warehouse is great for flashlights and knives (IMO).