Help with strange changing beam pattern from Cree Jetbeam MKIIx

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me about a peculiar incident I had when I first got my Jetbeam MKIIx. When I received I tested it and EDC'd for a couple of days to make sure it was in proper working order before I gave it to my wife. On the second day I noticed the beam pattern looked different but I did not really think twice as it was new and I was not used to it. The next time I used it I notice that just outside the central hotspot was a second smaller square shaped hotspot. Upon closer inspection I realized it had the same pattern as the emitter. What was even more strange was as I shined it on the wall I noticed the square was moving from the edge of the hotspot throught the corona to the edge of the beam. I turned it off and on and the square was again closer to the edge of the hotspot. As I continued to fiddle with it I realized that the square was only visible when it was in the six o'clock position and furthermore it would only move towards the six o'clock position (more specifically towards the ground as I was holding it parallel to the ground). This did not happen when I shined it at the ceiling and after about 10 minutes of messing around the anomaly never returned. I do not know much about LED's but I thought it might have something to do with the material in it moving around and then finally settling. Any thoughts on why this happened? I am just curious because it was kind of freaky to see movement in a beam pattern. Thanks.

Last edited:

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Strange changing beam pattern form Cree Jetbeam MKIIx

Could the ring and optic be loose? I had that happen on a DX light. On that light it had come completely off, but the emitter still shone.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe the dome has fallen off the emitter, I would send it back

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking at the emitter, everything looks fine and there has been no problems with the beam since the initial odd behaviour. The dome looks secure. :shrug: