HELP picking LED pocket light for Groomsmen

NickDrak

Enlightened
I am looking for suggestions for a small EDC style LED (preferrably CREE) light that runs on one (1) AA battery. I would like to stay below the $55.00 price point for each light. Another consideration is that the body of the light has a flat area that is blank that I can have engraved with the date of my wedding. I would prefer a HA gray finish, but black will also work. I need (4) four lights total. These guys are not light nuts like me, so it doesnt have to be the latest/greatest LED technology. I would also like to pick a light that is not overly complex in its function. So far the lights I am considering are....

-Fenix L1D

-JetBeam Jet-1 MKII TAD Edition (LUX version)

Please let me know which other lights I should be considering. Availability is also an issue, as I will be ordering the lights within the next 4-weeks.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!

NickDrak

Enlightened
COOL! Thanks for the suggestions. I sent the Fenix-Store an email about my request. Thanks again!!!:twothumbs

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly the L1D-CE. Of all the compact (pocket size) flashlights I've used, the L1D-CE is by far the best. For one thing, it's the only multi-level flashlight on the market I've really got my hands on that's truly intuitive to use, the clicky + twist to go from high/low is very nice. Also, it has a good driver in there as well (gets a lot of light out of a single cell, and good runtime)

Grubbster

Enlightened
I would get a Peak light, probably a Matterhorn stainless. Although it does not have a flat panel for engraving, I beleive it can still be engraved on the round barrel. These are very well made, classy lights and within your budget.

22hornet

Enlightened
I would get a Peak light, probably a Matterhorn stainless. Although it does not have a flat panel for engraving, I beleive it can still be engraved on the round barrel. These are very well made, classy lights and within your budget.

Indeed, or the slightly larger 1AA Kilimanjaro in stainless or brass. They should serve this purpose very well :twothumbs

Kind regards,
Joris

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened

I'll second this and add another Peak choice - the Pacific in Brass. Comes in AA with your choice of output levels. The brass lights look and feel really nice!

Congratulations on your need for the lights :)

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Don't forget the Fenix P2D. Its <$55 and has 5 flat areas (albeit small areas!!).

Roger

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are decided about giving a light to your groomsmen then I think you are on the right track. Stay with the AA lights. As much as I like the CR123 P1 and P1D's, the AA Fenix L1D-CE is the way to go for gifts to non-flashaholics.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
COOL! Thanks for the suggestions. I sent the Fenix-Store an email about my request. Thanks again!!!:twothumbs

Would love to see a pic of the finished product if you get the Fenix, i too am thinking along this track for a groomsman present.

I also agree that for non-torch nuts its best to stick with AA or similar easily obtainable batteries.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the Inova X1 latest gen. About half the budget, since the groomsmen are not flashoholic as you say and it runs on a single AA. The finishing is more durable Fenixs'.

NickDrak

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses so far:D I went and ordered up a L1D CE for myself to test out for a couple of weeks before I finalize my decision. Sounds like a great little light.

paulr

Flashaholic
The L1D CE's computerized interface is a matter of preference, let's just put it that way. What I'd say for sure is that it works best on NiMH rechargeable or lithium AA batteries. You can get by with alkalines but performance and runtime are seriously impaired. This I think partly negates its advantage in using commodity batteries. If I were to give one of these lights to a non-flashaholic I'd include one of the Eneloop charger kits (two AA Eneloops and a charger, about $25 retail, maybe some discounts are available) so the recipient will have a rechargeable battery system with it.

The L2D works better on alkalines (2 cells so lower current drain) but is too large to EDC really.

The Arc AA would have been perfect but it's extinct now. Closest approximation is the Peak Kilimanjaro series, which I don't like as much as the Arc on stylistic grounds, but which are very well made. I think I'd suggest one of these over the digital Fenixes. The Fenixes have more features and better specs, but the Peaks are more durable and serious, in my view.

NickDrak

Enlightened
Would love to see a pic of the finished product if you get the Fenix, i too am thinking along this track for a groomsman present.

I also agree that for non-torch nuts its best to stick with AA or similar easily obtainable batteries.

Here ya go guys! I had a local engraver do the engraving for me. I think they came out very nice. I put each of the guys name on their lights along with "Nick & Norma" and 8-11-07 the date of our wedding. The big day is tomorrow!!! Wish me luck....:twothumbs

4p9zqxi.jpg

4u4poxz.jpg

Latest posts