Bin wondering

knot

Banned
1) They use a Q2 binned Cree XRE LED. The Q2 bins are rated 87-94 lumens
at 350ma (versus 81-87 lumens for the P4's). Thats up to a 16% increase in
output! The runtime should be same as the non Q2's, but you're getting
more light at the same power consumption!

Is this person referring to SSC P4 that is "U bin"? If so, why didn't he say so? Is this the latest "bin"? Is the "Z" bin not available? I have no clue what, and this page only confuses me: http://www.essc.co.kr/_HOMEPAGE/home_kor/product/spec/BL25.pdf

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitters are tested and sorted by performance, so a Z-bin (if it existed, which I doubt) would be extremely rare, very bright, and really expensive. Some small number of people have Luxeon V lights with an X-bin emitter, also known as "unobtainium" because of how hard those things are to obtain.

The Cree XR-E has bins as follows, from worst to best (in terms of output at a set drive level): P2, P3, P4, Q1, Q2, and I'm pretty sure that's all that's really available right now.

With the Seoul P4 emitter (also sometimes called SSC P4), you'll usually see lights with a U-bin emitter. That would be better than a T-bin emitter, but not as good as a V-bin emitter.

I hope some of that helped.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this person referring to SSC P4 that is "U bin"? If so, why didn't he say so? Is this the latest "bin"? Is the "Z" bin not available? I have no clue what, and this page only confuses me: http://www.essc.co.kr/_HOMEPAGE/home_kor/product/spec/BL25.pdf
The post you are quoting is talking about a Cree XR-E emitter, not a SSC P4 emitter. In the case of the Seoul, "P4" is a brand name, similar to how "XR-E" is a brand name for Cree. In the case of the Cree however, P4 is a brightness designation, similar to how "U-bin" and "T-bin" are brightness designations for Seoul. I can understand how this would be confusing.