Advice Which For Distance. Fenix P3DCE Or LED Lenser Hocus Focus

fluke

Enlightened
Need help to decide, I need a light for distance work, primarily reading door numbers at night, I'm currently using a Led Lenser V2 7736 and a Fenix L2DCE.

The Led Lenser seems to have the edge on distance over the L2DCE. This is the later 7736 Lenser with the frog eye collimator lens.
So which would people go for my EDC is a P1DCE so I'm stuck on which one to use.

P3DEC Or Led Lenser 7438 Police Tech Hocus Pocus.

Thanks
Dave.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
edited,
wonder that the lenser seems better in Your sense, but You have both lights to compare
:thinking:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix P3DCE as its got more flood, the Led Lenser 7438 Hocus Focus
is bright to start off with but is not regulated

Chao

Enlightened

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use NiMH AAA's in the Hokus Focus, you'd swear it was a regulated light...near constant brightness for an hour. This light draws almost an amp, you can't use alkaline AAA's and expect much at all...just like the runtime graph shows. I've tested NiMH AAA's and found them to hold a 1000 mA load for about 50 minutes (down to .9V). Testing the alkalines the same way, they delivered only 4 minutes before hitting .9V!

The Hokus Focus will have a little more throw than the newer 7736, but not enough to warrant buying a new light. I'd go with a D-Mini (smooth reflector) using 3.7V rechargeable Li-Ons. You'll get about 45 minutes of runtime....just carry another cell or two. Actually there are many good choices for your intended use...there's a newer thread here about the best lights for throw using an 18650, you should check that out if you haven't already.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading door numbers? Hokus Focus with an SSC for sure. It has a huge hotspot with limited flood, but is bright as F in that hotspot, and would give you tons of coverage in a "reading house numbers from across the street" scenario. The DMini has a brighter hotspot with some flood, but it's hotspot is much smaller. The Hokus' standard clicky might be a big plus for this application.

fluke

Enlightened
Thanks.
That's what I am trying for, just got to workout how to get it to the UK.
Run times are not really an issue as it is only being used for spotting the Door numbers.

It is for night time cab driver use (as that's my job) and its not a good thing to leave the vehicle during the dark hours.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
The modded Hocus Focus has such a broad bright beam it's akin to a police spot light. A little broader maybe. Mine will light up the entire front of my neighbors house across the street. Brightly. I'm guessing it's about 150 ft. Some home owners might not like the idea of it being shined at their house. Especially if they're not the customer. It may be different where you live though. And you do have a job to do and your safety is a concern.

That said, I think the Coast HF would be the best choice compared to the P3D CE if not for just the switch alone. It has a momentary ON with a slight push that would be perfect for your situation. The P3D CE would have to be clicked ON and then clicked OFF again. Not very handy in your case.

Hope you can find a source for one to your location.

TeaQue

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Hocus Focus.....especially a modded one if you can find one!

My Seoul powered Hocus Focus (Thanks EngrPaul!!) absolutely blows my L2DCE out of the water. Definately one of those Holy Shxt thats bright lights :laughing:

fluke

Enlightened
Thanks guys.
Just waiting for an answer from unforgiven before I proceed, I'll probably just buy both anyway :twothumbs

cbandu

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the D-Mini. My friend uses his in his taxi and can see house numbers at quite a distance. He uses a 3.7volt rechargeable 123a with a spare in his bag. Hopefully you're not planning on using it defensively -- it is small.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.
Just waiting for an answer from unforgiven before I proceed, I'll probably just buy both anyway :twothumbs

fluke, your modded Focusing Lenser is on it's way to you! I have the L2D-CE also, and like TeaQue said, it doesn't even compare to the Lenser in the throw department. You'll like it. :D

fluke

Enlightened
fluke, your modded Focusing Lenser is on it's way to you! I have the L2D-CE also, and like TeaQue said, it doesn't even compare to the Lenser in the throw department. You'll like it. :D

Sorry Jay.
Yep thanks :grin2: awaiting contact from Tom (Unforgiven)
Forgot about this thread, I cant wait to get it and get the camera out and do some comparisons with P1DCE, P2DCE, P3DCE, L2DCE.
I know its not fair sticking the P1DCE in there but, why not? I say.

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluke - only a cab driver would post at 4:08AM !
I'll be intreasted in your comparisons, I'm thinking of getting one of these Lenser lights and modding with a Seoul.

fluke

Enlightened
Fluke - only a cab driver would post at 4:08AM !
I'll be intreasted in your comparisons, I'm thinking of getting one of these Lenser lights and modding with a Seoul.

Haha.
Yeah had just got in, now I'm about to go back to work :twothumbs
I'm hoping for good things, as my normal Led Lenser 7736 gives my P3DCE a good run.