Bicycle mount for any flashlight?

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone else making custom mounts for their bicycle? I can envision one that just consists of two grips stuck together. One grips the handlbars and the other grips the flashlight. The point where the two grips connect pivots and would probably have a wingnut on it allowing you to adjust the direction of the light.

You know the grips i'm talking about. The same thing that every bicycle bell or bike computer uses to hold it onto the handlebars. The problem is that i've never seen them sold separately. They're always part of the bell, computer or horn they're built on to. Can these be found in a hardware store? I have an extra rexlight and thought it would be good for those few times when i want a light on my bike if i could build a cheap yet effective mount.

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
2 hoseclamps in a figure 8
Total cost 52 cents

Those twofish clamps seem perfect. Now i just have to find a place that sells them in canada.

OTherwise the hoseclamps idea isn't bad at all either. A pain to take the light on/off but effective for the price. Might just have to start with that.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most bike nuts take the stock reflectors off their bikes. My local bike shop had a whole box full of em. They gave me a handful free. Most of em are the clamp on variety nowdays.

I've been intending to rig something up but I just use the twofish blocks. They are so nice for small lights. Sometimes hard to find though. I posted a WTB, on a bike forum and a shop sent me a set of 3 for $12 shipped.

KevinCK

Newly Enlightened
Twofish sounds great.
boomerdirect's checkout asks you to enter a province/state (they even mention canada must enter something here) and also lets you choose your country. But as soon as you do it says "we only ship to the continental united states at this time". :-(

I hope fenix-store starts carrying them.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I have one from Deal Extreme that uses two clamps joined by a pivot. Only $1.98.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.792
I keep saying this: do not waste your money in those POS holders! They're absolutely horrendous quality. Although the concept is nice, the plastic parts are weak all over and they'll break very easily (sometimes even while you tighten them onto your bike)...

mosport

Enlightened
Modded one of these $3.50 Planet Bike QuickCam Handlebar Brackets for my HDS, you can grab them from MEC Calgary. I'll take a picture of the quick n' dirty setup tonight and add it to this post.

img1174ua0.jpg

-----
EDIT: Pic added

Unscrewed the plastic guide plate and notched it out to route a zip tie through. The yellow part is latex tubing for added grip, everything is really solid but I have to re-mount all over again after using it as a standalone flashlight.

Last edited:

europium

Enlightened
I keep saying this: do not waste your money in those POS holders! They're absolutely horrendous quality. Although the concept is nice, the plastic parts are weak all over and they'll break very easily (sometimes even while you tighten them onto your bike)...
Whoops! :ohgeez:

I just ordered some bike clamps from Elite LED that look exactly like that:

http://www.eliteled.com/products/accessory/flholder.html

I just assumed :)o) that they were made of anodized aluminum.

Am I going to be sorry, greenLED?

Eu

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Am I going to be sorry, greenLED?
Well, if you can't return them for a refund... here's what you do before actually using them:

- take the rubber pads off
- disassemble the lower part (there's some tiny screws you gotta take off
- take the plastic screw and replace it with a metal screw of the approximate length of the stock plastic screw (and a nut that fits the metal screw - a winged nut would be nice)
- put the metal screw in place
- fill the entire space where the plastic screw was with epoxy; make sure you get enough epoxy under the metal screw's head as well
- let cure & reassemble

That should take care of the plastic screw and the bottom part of the clamp breaking off. There really isn't a good fix I can think of for when the little "teeth" that keep the upper part in place break... :green:

As you can see, by the time you add all the extra parts and time, you might as well could've bought a Twofish lockblock. I just checked and 4sevens has them in stock already - might as well get a "back-up" for when the other clamp arrives.

Latest posts