X5 version question

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to figure out which is the most recent/best X5 version. I have found 2 of them and there is just one difference in the packaging one says "Up to 2 mile signal visibility" and the other say "Up to 1.75 mile signal visibility" I have checked Inova's website and the current specs displayed there are 1.75 mile however this seems a little backward that the specs would go down. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this situation.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have what I believe to be the current version Inova X5, purchased at Target.

The package states the "2 mile" figure and lacks an American flag. It came with a lanyard.

The older version I saw at Target came with a belt case instead of a lanyard and that package had an American flag printed on it.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it comes with a lanyard it is definitly the newer version. Some of the very first new version came with a case, but it was a relatively short lived thing.

Confederate

Enlightened
I'm also a knife aficianado and am unhappy about Gerber's and CRKT's products where they change specifications such as knife steel without changing the designations of their products. Inova has done the same sort of thing and has changed the specs for many of its models without changing the designations. The new X5s, for example, are not an improvement in my opinion, as they add only a smidgen of brightness for an arm and a leg of runtime.

In other words, the original X5 had a runtime of 20 hours, whereas the new X5 is a little brighter, but the runtime has been reduced to about six hours. Both produce more than enough flood for almost any activity, yet the original blows the newer version away.

Inova also has changed the specs for the T4, the X1, and the X0, though these have some mitigating factors in that they've been improved and it's easier to tell the new style from the old.

Still, I don't like changing specs greatly without changing designations.

Chusco411

Newly Enlightened
Well I did some comparing and it appears as best I can figure that the newest version has is actually the version that say 1.75 mile on it. I based this on comparing the packaging to the packaging on my new X1 the new 2 watt version aka gen 3. The packaging for the gen 3 X1 says "areospace grade aluminimum" and the X1 is in orange. On the X5 packaging that say's 1.75 mile the X5 is also in orange and it says "areospace grade aluminium". The package that states 2 mile has the X5 in silver and states "aircraft grade aluminium". At least that is my best guess.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova doesn't always change its packaging (nor web site) at the same time as its flashlights. I am an Inova fan, but this is very confusing.

My bright version X5 packaging bears the phrase "Aircraft Grade Aluminum Body" on the front. The "X5" is orange color, but the picture of the X5 bezel is silver.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe if it has writing on the rubber part of the tailcap instead of the silver tailcap ring it is the latest version.