• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ♪♫ SOLD • HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT ♪♫

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milkyspit modded this for me right before the SHOT show. Post #79

In stock form it was an excellent light. This GT would only run on Surefires or Duracells for any length of time. Even on Surefires full burst mode was limited to 11 minutes. I believe the circuit was tuned pretty high to achieve the Gauranteed Tint.

Modded with a Cree XLamp® XR-E P4-WHT, and a Q3 Orange Peel reflector the output is simply spectacular.

This flashlight is not perfect though. As some folks predicted, the lowest 2 settings are lost. So there are now 18 levels instead of 20. This was not a problem for me at all. The lowest setting is very,very low. All other functions are retained.

This modded HDS spent most of its life strapped into a magazine holder in my Maxpedition Operator day bag. The clip is quite worn and scratched on the edges. Upon close inspection before selling I see a little dent on the tailcap. I've never noticed this before. Like a crescent moon inside the dent you can see a tiny spot where the anodize has been compromised. You have to hold it just right to see it but it's there. The rest of the anodize looks perfect and all three main parts match.

On the highest setting this torch will still consume the top amps from a Battery Station CR123 in short order. It likes Duracells and Surefires. It seems to be very happy with AW RCR123s. I have not done a runtime test in burst since it has been modded. It's just a long shot guess but maybe somewhere between 15 minutes and 20 minutes in burst mode.

This has the newer tailcap with knurling and stands straight up. It comes with the instructions and wallet sized operational reference card. In my humble opinion this is a very special HDS Ultimate EDC that can generate a tincture of light at low levels and attain exceptional brightness in the top 4 levels.

$225.00
lowered to $215.00
lowered to $205.00
lowered to $190.00

I'll pick up the PayPal fees, USPS priority shipping, confirmation and insurance.

The first "I'll take it." gets it.

Here are some very unglamorous scanner images showing the dent and the emitter on low. As can be seen, other than the clip and the little dent the rest of the light is in excellent condition. A proper titanium clip would help its looks.

HDS.jpg

HDSlow.jpg

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION***

Using an AW RCR123 here's what happens trying to do a runtime test:

At level 20 in a stand-up position with no hands I see a single step down to level 19 at 5 minutes.

Continuing the run with the light being held with three fingertips and a thump tip I notice the light is quiet warm...maybe hot is a better term. Even the tailcap is rather warm. At 8 minutes I see a single step down to level 18. Level 18 is brighter than the original Luxeon III at level 20.

Continuing the run with light being held with three fingertips and a thumb tip I became board staring at the wall. Finally, at the 47 minute mark I see the first step down due to lack of voltage. It rapidly began to try to find a good level. It found some level that looked like 14 or 15 and paused so I turned off the light and ended the run.

After learning this I'm having some strong second thoughts about selling this little hot rod. Maybe I sell the rare black A2 or something exotic instead. Hmmm. I need some extra funds for a Sig Elite I ordered last Saturday. What to do. What to do.

***End of Edit***
IMG%5D

Thanks for looking.
IMG%5D

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ♪♫ HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT • Q3 OP ♪♫

Nice light! Excellent price!

Why do these things always come along when I am skint or have other commitments though? :sigh:

CFU

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Skint?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

`skint' is a British slang term meaning 'broke, bust, stone-broke, stony-broke
poor - having little money or few possessions.

dixemon

Enlightened
Re: ♪♫ HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT • $ lowered ♪♫

got any beamshots? guestamated lumens? does it step down due to thermal limitations on high? whats the high level run time?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ♪♫ HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT • $ lowered ♪♫

dixemon -

Excellent questions. I'm glad you asked them. I don't have beamshots but here's something that may help. Check out vee's beamshots in post #32. Mine was a GT so I'll bet it's even brighter than his. Also, I saw no purpose for the diffusion film, removed it and the beam is a little brighter and crisper.

I just did a runtime test.

Using an AW RCR123 here's what happens trying to do a runtime test:

At level 20 in a stand-up position with no hands I see a single step down to level 19 at 5 minutes.

Continuing the run with the light being held with three fingertips and a thump tip I notice the light is quiet warm...maybe hot is a better term. Even the tailcap is rather warm. At 8 minutes I see a single step down to level 18. Level 18 is brighter than the original Luxeon III at level 20.

Continuing the run with the light being held with three fingertips and a thumb tip I became board staring at the wall. Finally, at the 47 minute mark I see the first step down due to lack of voltage. It rapidly began to try to find a good level. It found some level that looked like 14 or 15 and paused so I turned off the light and ended the run. I would guess that if I did a runtime starting out on level 18 it would breeze past the 1 hour mark. This would be brighter than a stock HDS U60 on level 20. Pretty amazing.

After learning this I'm having some strong second thoughts about selling this little hot rod. Maybe I sell the rare black A2 or something exotic instead. Hmmm. What to do. What to do. Anyway, it's still up for $205.00.

Hello, Ken.

I'm trying to formulate a response. Interesting message indeed. Thank you.

- Jeff

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: ♪♫ HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT • $190.00 ♪♫

Ken,
You're building up quite the collection! :thumbsup:
john

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Re: ♪♫ HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT • $190.00 ♪♫

Thanks John,

I've got four brothers and I'm afraid that when they see the lights, I'll surely loose a few. I'm sorta being proactive :p I'm about to create four new flashaholics :twothumbs

Ken

Ken,
You're building up quite the collection! :thumbsup:
john

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ♪♫ HDS U60 GT • Cree® P4-WHT • Pending ♪♫

Thanks, Ken.

PP info sent.

Sold pending funds.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got that PP this morning.

Will ship by Tuesday in a priority box and send you confirmation and insurance details via PM.

- Jeff