P3D Rechargable battery help needed....

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello to all,

After weighing my options I decided to scrap the maglite mods and buy a P3D. I have never used 123's and would love to find a rechargeable option since I use my light extensively. I'm a bit overwhelmed reading the different threads and just decided to ask the pro's...

So.....what charger & battery combo do you recommend? If extra voltage gives extra light I'm all in since my eyes need all the help they can get =)

Also, I found this comment and was wondering if this has been resolved:
"People who plan on using two rechargable lithiums on a P3D.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time the low battery indicator goes off your lithium cells have allready dropped below spec and possibly caused cell damage."

Would I be better off with a P2D if I go rechargable? As stated above I need all the light I can get with my nightblindness condition =)

Any tips on the best place to buy a P3D and battery/charger is much appreciated =)

Thanks in advance =)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.fenix-store.com for P3D, AW's R123a Protected Rechargeables + Ultrafire wf-139 Lit-ion charger and you are set. This is what I drive my P3D received 3 days ago.
Do not invest in Un-protected cells. No circuit to protect the batteries for overdischarge/overcharge.

Or go to AW directly at the CPFmarketplace http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=140362
Abit cheaper since direct. But easier to get them all at fenix-store.

P2D can be used with 3.7v rechargeables, but may not get all functions. To know more search for it. It has been discussed in detail.

P3D i'm using no difference with the primaries or rechargeables. All functions are working fine. Great light for the price...

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool deal, I wanted to be sure the batteries would fit the light etc.

Thanks for the info!

If anyone else wants to share their preferred combo I'm all ears =)

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the Ultrafire RCR123's been tested for fit on the p3d?

Sounds like what I'm looking for (more run time!!!)

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the Ultrafire RCR123's been tested for fit on the p3d?

Sounds like what I'm looking for (more run time!!!)
I'm hoping they will, AW's protected fit so I think these will also. I believe there relatively new and I have not read any reports as to the whether they will actually fit.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone using Protected 3.6v batteries in the P2D or P3D and if so what kind of runtimes are you getting.. I was looking to get a p2d and Battery Station 3.6v from Lighthound. I read a few posts that said they fit fine..

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anyone using Protected 3.6v batteries in the P2D or P3D and if so what kind of runtimes are you getting.. I was looking to get a p2d and Battery Station 3.6v from Lighthound. I read a few posts that said they fit fine..
Chevrofreak did runtime tests on the P3D: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/165971 and P2D:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/163405 in the review section. If you use a 3.6v(4.2v fully charged) rechargeable in a P2D all modes will be turbo(strobe will function properly) until the voltage drops to around 3.2-3.3v.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those graphs are great! Do most people just use disposable cells? They certainly performed better

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those graphs are great! Do most people just use disposable cells? They certainly performed better
Disposable cells have roughly twice the amount of stored power(mah rating) but once you use them you have to throw them away.:mecry:

big beam

Enlightened
You can use 17670's in the P3D.Only 2 of 8 AW batteries I have fit.Unproteced 17670's will be fine if you're careful because the light will flicker long before the battery gets damaged.BTW it has the same output on 1-17670 or 2 cr123's.The runtime with 1-17670 on high will be about 4 hrs.If your going to use 17670 I would stay with AW's because if you or someone you lend it to makes a mistake you would ruin the cell.But like I said before only 2 of 8 AW cells fit.
DON

big beam

Enlightened
Either one will work and the capacity of both are about the same.I use AW's batteries and have never had a dud.The advantage of using rcr123's is that they charge fast even in the old DSD charger they only take a few hours.
DON

Spypro

Enlightened
I have also a question about the battery:
I will buy a P3D-CE this week and I want to use rechargeable batteries.
So what about the Batteries Station 3.6v 900mah ? the AW 3.6v 880mah ? and the AW 3.7v 750mah ?
What would be the best ?
Is there other suggestions that might be best ?
And what about the charger ? Which would be the best ?

Thank you !

x2x3x2

Banned
Just a heads up, the new gray colored UltraFire protected 16340 cells are a little longer than AW's.

The tailcap will not be able to fully screw down and some of the rubber o-ring will show...

Spypro

Enlightened
I think I will choose the BatteryStation RCR123a 900mAh with the Ultrafire charger.

Enlightened
I just completed an impromptu runtime test with my newly purchased P3D and 2x RCR123 from AW.

The batteries were slightly used before runtime was tested. Regardless I got approximately 1 hour 13 minutes 46 seconds out of the batteries before it shut off on turbo mode.
Batteries were charged with a DSD charger.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using an Ultrafire unprotected 17670 in mine and like it a lot. I removed the thick label and put some tape around the cell. I may have a really good LED in mine since medium mode on mine puts out a heck of a lot of light (very white) and sips only about 160 mA's from the 17670. I am really suprised at the output and efficiency of this light.

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I think I will choose the BatteryStation RCR123a 900mAh with the Ultrafire charger.

The BatteryStation batteries I just bought are a very tight fit in the p3d, the aw rcr123's fit much better.. I also have some Ultrafire protected on order and should be here this week..