Just had a blackout!

Learjet

Enlightened
Was just firing up the computer to get on CPF and everything went dead. The lights flickered for a bit then nothing. By some amazing coincidence I had my Fenix P2D right in my hand at the time! "How did it know?" I thought to myself. :thinking:

Luckily I had just taken the meal out of the microwave and was about to eat it after it cooled a little. Ceiling bounce off the modified 3D 100 LED light was probably overkill to eat with, but it sure was bright. :duck: Washing up in the kitchen was done with ceiling bounce from a Fenix P3D on high. Bathroom stop :toilet: was made with ceiling bounce from a P2D on medium. General illumination was with my old Dorcy Super 1 watt 3D (old Luxeon yet to be upgraded) also bounced from the ceiling.

Conclusion, the second most important thing in a blackout is a white ceiling. :twothumbs

After the power was restored I put the Li ions on charge ready for next time. What a fun night. :)

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Learjet, Have you considered adding any LED lanterns to your collection? I noticed you didn't mention any.

I also have my share of hand-held lights that can bounce effectively, but I also have 3 lanterns for the very purpose of illuminating rooms. I save my hand-helds for navigation. Any thoughts? :popcorn:

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
Was just firing up the computer to get on CPF and everything went dead. The lights flickered for a bit then nothing. By some amazing coincidence I had my Fenix P2D right in my hand at the time! "How did it know?" I thought to myself. :thinking:

The fabled flashaholic's 6th sense. That, or a flashaholic usually just has a flashlight at hand. You decide.:thumbsup:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol so sad, that us flashlight "enthusiasts" pray for a black out ;) just so we can be like "HA.. what now? what now? wheres your precious lighting?" and then we pull the edc out and light the way:candle:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are lucky

last time we had a blackout we were powering up all the flashlights and lighting candles and the stupid power came back on in 15 minutes. boo!
blue balls:mecry:

mapson

Enlightened
That's just not the same. Although I did make my son take a shower in the dark. I told him I needed to test a lantern out. :D

um, anyone ever consider just turning the power off? :thinking:

Last edited:

vic2367

Enlightened
some guys just have all the luck with blackouts,,,here in ny ,,,hardly ever,,,
icon9.gif

Learjet

Enlightened
Learjet, Have you considered adding any LED lanterns to your collection?

I shall have to look into them. I have a portable 12V fluro that will burn for 36 hours. I completely forgot about it! Think I just got a bit carried away with the new Fenix toys.

Edit, Unscrewed the reflector from the Dorcy 3D and it casts light 180 degrees also. However comparing to ceiling bounce it performs about the same. I guess it just depends if there's a ceiling or not.

Last edited:

Valolammas

Enlightened
The library I work in had a complete blackout last summer. Some workmen digging a hole in the ground accidentally sewered a power cable and it took them a while to repair it. I heard that a couple of people were left fumbling in the basement, trying to find their way out by feel. I could have been a hero and rescued them, but alas, I wasn't there when it happened! Argh, what bad luck.

After that they've put GID stickers on the floor and around doors, so people can find their way out if the lights go out. We also have rechargeable Ansman lights in the basement floors (I check every now and then that they work).

The upshot is that I've since had several people mention (without prodding or me mentioning lights at all) that they now carry a light with them, "just in case". Invariably they then show me a Photon attached to their keys.

carrot

Flashaholic
Besides being completely irresponsible by hoping for a blackout on the scale of the August 2003 East Coast one... I kinda hope for another like it.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work shift work in a glassware factory and sometimes during night shift the power will go out. Its great. Guess who all the cute girls crowd around? Makes the cost of these lights worth it in spades. :)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides being completely irresponsible by hoping for a blackout on the scale of the August 2003 East Coast one... I kinda hope for another like it.

i do hope too. almost forgot about that one.
it was exciting and everyone was out and socializing and bbqing. it was really great for ppl to get off of the electronic distractions and have family time and some ppl having "quality time':naughty:. not really sure if there was a baby boom but i could imagine.

it would nice if they have rolling blackouts in the future to save on electricity. basically some time of no electricity besides the necessities(hospital, grocery, etc).

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
You people are sick, sick I tell you. Wishing for blackouts to use your lights. Dissappointed when the black is not longer than 15 minutes. Sick I tell you, sick. Thunderstorms, natural disasters, oh the horror. Sick I tell you, sick.:sick:

And I am jealous and keep hoping for my own blackout. I am sick, sick I tell you.:sigh:

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
:crazy:How about a fund raiser raffle for CPF. Perhaps a 3 hour blackout with tcikets at - say - $ 20.00 or 3 for $ 50.00

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
Coincidentally, we experienced a two-hour lightning induced blackout just last night. I sat around congratulating myself for being fully prepared with a collection of Wolf Eyes, SL's , and assorted other goodies. It was all great fun until I noticed the temperature was rising fast! You see, when the air conditioning goes off in Alabama, and the outside temperature is 85-degrees and the humidity is 90%, it gets uncomfortable fast! I had all the fun I could stand when the power finally came back on, and the air conditioning roared into action. Thanks, I'll pass on power outages whenever possible.