Just how long will a X5 run (also SUrefire E1L E2L)

nc987

Enlightened
Couple of weeks ago I decided I was going to run the cells down on my SF E1L, E2L and X5 because they were dim and I just figured to run the rest of the juice out of them and put new cells in. Well the E1L went about 4 days, the E2L about 8 days. The X5 however, has been running for about 4 weeks now non stop and it still putting out enough light that if I had to navigate in darkness with it I could. Every night it illiuminates a tiny corner of my bedroom. Anyone have any idea of how long this thing is gonna last?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
I honestly believe, everyone here should own the red led version of the Inova X5.

It is, without question, my most used, and favorite flashlight.

1. It only takes ONE 123a battery.
2. Batteries that will not make the wire glow in a surefire, will run the Red X5 for days.
3. It uses EVERY last drop of energy in every battery i buy. They all end up in my X5.

My X5 literally "runs for free". Seriously. I would have just thrown the batteries out, because they are "done" when it comes to any other light i own.

4. The red light is perfect for indoor night use, it doesnt kill night vision, and it doesnt wake me up when i have to use the bathroom at night.
5. It's on in the bathroom at night, so guests can find the light switch easier.
6. It's on in the bathroom when i have guests over to watch movies.
7. It makes the porch glow red for halloween.
8. It illuminates the garbage can next to my bed all night, if i am sick.
9. It illuminates books I am reading in bed.
10. It lights up the shower when I shower before bed.

I know eveyone talks about the benefits of having a low setting on a WHITE light. And that's cool, but it is NOTHING like having a red light.

If anyone gets one, and then doesnt like it. Please, send it to me, I want to permantly mount one in a few places in my house.

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
I agree with SS above, but I only have the red Niteize in a Minimag, but I use it nightly for reasons SS noted, and have really come to like it.

I have an IQ switch installed, so I can control the intensity of "redness". :crazy:

Where is a good place to buy an X5 with red LEDs?

Burgess

Flashaholic
quote from StainlessSteel:

and it doesnt wake me up when i have to use the bathroom at night.

No, my bladder does that for me ! :wave:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I honestly believe, everyone here should own the red led version of the Inova X5.

It is, without question, my most used, and favorite flashlight.

1. It only takes ONE 123a battery.
2. Batteries that will not make the wire glow in a surefire, will run the Red X5 for days.
3. It uses EVERY last drop of energy in every battery i buy. They all end up in my X5.

My X5 literally "runs for free". Seriously. I would have just thrown the batteries out, because they are "done" when it comes to any other light i own.

4. The red light is perfect for indoor night use, it doesnt kill night vision, and it doesnt wake me up when i have to use the bathroom at night.
5. It's on in the bathroom at night, so guests can find the light switch easier.
6. It's on in the bathroom when i have guests over to watch movies.
7. It makes the porch glow red for halloween.
8. It illuminates the garbage can next to my bed all night, if i am sick.
9. It illuminates books I am reading in bed.
10. It lights up the shower when I shower before bed.

I know eveyone talks about the benefits of having a low setting on a WHITE light. And that's cool, but it is NOTHING like having a red light.

If anyone gets one, and then doesnt like it. Please, send it to me, I want to permantly mount one in a few places in my house.

Yes!! The Red Inova X5 is my favorite light too. It was said by mattK of batteryjunction.com that it is the best selling color of the X5.
So, a lot of people out there already agree/know it is awesome!

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, I go from being tempted by Wiseled Street and Barbolight U15's to a red beamed Inova X5. At least with one of these, I can eat for the rest of the week.

My white version ran decently brightly for a long time on batteries that would only make my old Inova T5 flash and would not even light up my e2e. It is the ultamate survivor 123a light.

Barbarian

Enlightened
Couple of weeks ago I decided I was going to run the cells down on my SF E1L, E2L and X5 because they were dim and I just figured to run the rest of the juice out of them and put new cells in. Well the E1L went about 4 days, the E2L about 8 days. The X5 however, has been running for about 4 weeks now non stop and it still putting out enough light that if I had to navigate in darkness with it I could. Every night it illiuminates a tiny corner of my bedroom. Anyone have any idea of how long this thing is gonna last?
That is the reason it is in my BOB. :grin2:

phil000

Newly Enlightened
what other batteries can it use though? I'm just getting to know the concept of rcr123s and 14400s and 18650s, and I would really like to get this light if it could run on rechargeables...

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Huh?

Everything I have read states two (as on battery junction) batteries. It's the same size as the others so........?????

I understand your possible confusion. But trust me. I own one.

Only ONE 123a Battery.

There is a NON-removable spacer inside the light. Only ONE battery will fit.

I WISH VERY MUCH that Inova would have cut the light down, to make it smaller, rather than add the spacer.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I WISH VERY MUCH that Inova would have cut the light down, to make it smaller, rather than add the spacer.

Same here. Only thing that keeps me from buying one. I hate lights that are purposely bigger than they need to be. I think the UV X5 only takes one battery as well and uses the same spacer.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Want to know just how little juice the X5 will run on? Try this at home: I have an older model X5 (around 4-5 years) in the titanium/natural finish. If I remove the tailcap completely, gripping the barrel and touching a finger to the back of the exposed battery is enough to make the LED's glow! That's right, enough current flows through my body to make the LED's glow ever so slightly. Granted, they are only bright enough to light up something in complete darkness if it's about 1/2 inch away, but it's still interesting.

nyyankeefen

Newly Enlightened
School: Erie PA, Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale FL
Want to know just how little juice the X5 will run on? Try this at home: I have an older model X5 (around 4-5 years) in the titanium/natural finish. If I remove the tailcap completely, gripping the barrel and touching a finger to the back of the exposed battery is enough to make the LED's glow! That's right, enough current flows through my body to make the LED's glow ever so slightly. Granted, they are only bright enough to light up something in complete darkness if it's about 1/2 inch away, but it's still interesting.

Heh, I just tried that with the same results.....thats crazy:twothumbs

On a side note, the latest version of the X5 takes 2 cr123's and had a runtime of 20hrs -this comes straight from inovas website