The Drake

hivoltage

Enlightened
Anybody have 1 of these and can comment on it. I am thinking of one but would like some feedback before I sink hundreds on a torch!!! And whats the difference in the Drake and the Draco? Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Drake uses a 10180 battery and the Draco uses a 10280 battery. The Draco is brighter then the Drake. The Drake is shorter then the Draco. I don't have one and I'm just repeating info from Modamag's Drake thread.

Last edited:

dom

Enlightened
I would like one too.
I was reading about different current settings for the Drake -but couldn't find if it was implemented.
And as Gunner said -the only physical difference is the battery tube length.
Cheers
Dom

rdh226

Enlightened
The Drake uses a 10180 battery and the Draco uses a 10280 battery. They have the same head but since the 10280 battery is longer, it has more energy and the Draco is brighter. The Drake is shorter then the Draco. I don't have one and I'm just repeating info from Modamag's Drake thread.

The heads are different, the Drake head is lower-power, the Draco brighter. The Draco
is multi-level (MAX...user-set...MIN), while the Drake is, I believe, single/fixed level.

They are interchangeable in that either head will screw into either battery body. BUT
the 10180 battery can't safely drive the higher-current demands of the Draco head (at
least on highest settings).

Nominally, the Drake uses the 10180 battery tube, and is 10mm ("half" inch) shorter than
the Draco using the 10280 battery tube. (Optionally AAA battery extension tube is also
available: 10280 + extension == AAA, will fit both heads, giving longer runtimes, and the
AAA [aka 10440] LiIon is more-readily available, FWIW)

Bear in mind the Draco (the big klunkin' one) is dwarfed by a tube of Chapstick. To put
it in another perspective, it's smaller than two Mag bulbs!

The Draco (mine's Ti + TiCN) is one the best giggle-factor lights I've got: Tiny, and it's
Oh So Bright! People shrug and say "Yeah yeah another stupid little keychain LED light"
until I fire it up; then the usual response is "OH...MY...GAWD"

Yes, very expensive.

I'd spend the cough "few" dollars more on the Draco if I were getting just one. The Drake
(don't have one...yet) is without doubt one of the smallest real ("serious") flashlights
available today. By real (serious), I mean, brighter than 2D Mag! I can trivially light up a
room with my Draco (on MAX, it's edged out by my Surefire L4, but not dramatically; the
Draco does tend to get warm...quickly).

Get one. Either one.

-RDH

Latest posts