New LED Emitter - Better than Cree?

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing on DX and they have recently added these new 3W emmitters:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4282

They claim to produce 210 lumens @ 1000mA. I'm not really up to speed with all the values for cree and various other things but this sounds really high. Dont know if anything else has been posted about these?

Just thought I'd mention it and see what everyone thinks of them and if they're worth using in some mods?

Regards,
Danny

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are Edison Opto emitters. Roughly the same output as Cree P4 bin I believe. Like the SSC P4 they also use the Cree die.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
So i guess there's nothing worth getting excited over yet then? Sounds like cree is going to lead the way for a little while longer.

Perhaps you could inform me of the advantages of a SSC P4 over a cree or even if these Edison Opto if anyone knows much about them... i seemed to think it was the spill of the emitters (cree are wider angle so work well with reflectors?) but is there anything else?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Edison and Seoul have similar emitting angles when compared with a Luxeon so they are better Luxeon replacements. A Cree has a narrower emitting angle which means it'll need a narrower reflector to get the same beam angle. A Seoul or a Edison works better with a reflector while a Cree works better with a optic. If I remember correctly, the Edison has a almost identical beam pattern with the Luxeon.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if you have to isolate the base/slug of the emitter like the Seoul? Looking at the pics on the link above it has the same type of design?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think he means the positive slug and the gummy dome of the Seoul P4. From what I have seen around here, the Edison seems to create a yellow halo around the hot-spot when used with a reflector.

ginaz

Enlightened
i have an edison in my Q3. it's an ideal drop in for luxeon lights. bluish center with yellowish halo but i find the result to be rather nice. no gummy and no slug to isolate. i'm a big fan.

RV7

Newly Enlightened
3.7V Vf seems a bit high. Most Crees have a Vf of 3.4V at 1A.

kanarie

Enlightened
I used a few of these Edison's
They perform well butt have a yellow corona.
I find them more resistant to higher voltages (up to 4,5 volt) than for example a Seoul emmitter (will turn angry blue at 4,5 volt)

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Not as robust as the Cree XRE when driven at higher currents -

http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/seoulmy.htm

I've been reading this site you've mentioned and...

WOW!

Nice work! Very detailed and some really nice pictures! I'll have to finish reading it later cause there's just so much info. I also stumbled across the "Lithium 123 cell construction and protection" Section. I had always wondered what's inside batteries

Thanks everyone - I'm learning a lot!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
3.7V Vf seems a bit high. Most Crees have a Vf of 3.4V at 1A.
This is actually a very good point. With most of the manufactueres reporting output in lumens/amp, the Cree woudl appear on the surface to be less efficient than the others. However, when taking into account that both Seoul and Edison tend to operate at significantly higher forward voltages, that means that while they are making more like than the Cree at the same current, they are really consuming more power to do it. Efficiency is just about identical in terms of lumens/watt between these three (Cree/Seoul/Edison), it seems, and of them, I still like the packaging (phosphors, optics) of the Cree the best.

I am a huge fan of the WO and VO tint Seoul LED's. They outperform anything else in their class.
The VOs are very nice, The only thing I've seen that beats them for quality of light is the Cree WH bin, which is even warmer still. My VO Seoul and WH Cree lights make all other LEDs I have look "angry blue" by comparison.