6 new HDS models are here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new HDS models are out. They are at lighthound.com. I am holding off until I hear what they are like. Somebody post a review please.

Edit: I just read more. This is a presale. They will get the orders at the end of July. Lighthound wrote on his page that he will not charge the credit cards until they ship.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!

Thanks for the heads up.

Holy Crap they start at $110!!!

Last edited:

Chao

Enlightened
The specifications said the lens material is Polycarbonate, I wish they use glass.

kromeke

Enlightened
Minor nitpick:

These aren't HDS lights, they're Novatac lights. Of course, Mr. HDS did design them.

gunga

Flashaholic
Can someone give me a capsule view/history of HDS to Novatac etc?

I'm now considering gettingone but know little about them.

Did the HDS use glass lenses?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the bezels are the same dimensions? I have a HDS lens kit with an extra glass lens. Dammit this is so tempting!

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Polycarbonate lens is a dealbreaker for me. Current HDS owners would do well to upgrade their emitter to a Seoul and get similar performance to the Novatac. I also don't care for the crenelated bezel as I use mine as a pocket light and consider it too small to use as an impact weapon.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor nitpick:

These aren't HDS lights, they're Novatac lights. Of course, Mr. HDS did design them.
Good point. Novatac bought HDS. I am very interested to see if Novatac will be as good as the original HDS.

Aepoc

Enlightened
Cmaylo.dm told me that Novatac and HDS had a disagreement in the design of the new light. He and I both believe that Novatac was looking for a cheaper, more mass-produced solution, while HDS held firm to their original qualities: reliability, durability and quality. Does anyone have any actual info on the fact as this is just our opinion on the matter?

I would like to add that I used to be the proud owner of an HDS Ultimate 60. This being said, I am going to wait for HDS's light. The only thing that one can do to ensure that one of HDS's lights will not light, is to lose it.

WTH

Newly Enlightened
He and I both believe that Novatac was looking for a cheaper, more mass-produced solution, while HDS held firm to their original qualities: reliability, durability and quality.

Doesn't surefire mass produce reliable, durable and high-quality lights?

I would be interested to hear more about the split too. I want one of the new Novatac lights, but I really hope they didn't cut any corners on quality.

gunga

Flashaholic
Anyone have a FAW or Wiki about HDS and Novatac? Interested in a bit of history, past models, as well as what we have (or will have today).

I may have to take the plunge and blow a lot more than I ever thought I would on one of these.

BTW, is everyone going for the 120 models? Anyone looking at the 85s?

macforsale

Enlightened
I don't think it was every consider an impact weapon. More about protecting the edge from dropping and damaging the lens. Or if placed lens down the light leaking would be more noticable and you would not forget to turn it off. Then there is the 'kool' factor too.:cool:

Polycarbonate lens is a dealbreaker for me. Current HDS owners would do well to upgrade their emitter to a Seoul and get similar performance to the Novatac. I also don't care for the crenelated bezel as I use mine as a pocket light and consider it too small to use as an impact weapon.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Anyone looking at the 85s?

I just preordered a EDC-85P from Lighthound. 85 lumens for 30 minutes is plenty for me (I got the numbers from Novatac's website). I thought I was getting a deal when I got a HDS B42 XRGT for $99. I wonder if the $110 price is a special deal for Novatac's public debut?

I shall program it for 21-42-85-Emergancy Strobe.

My Brother in law is going to be real happy with his B-Day gift this year. He will get my old HDS, it still looks new!

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just preordered a EDC-85P from Lighthound. 85 lumens for 30 minutes is plenty for me (I got the numbers from Novatac's website). I thought I was getting a deal when I got a HDS B42 XRGT for $99. I wonder if the $110 price is a special deal for Novatac's public debut?

I shall program it for 21-42-85-Emergancy Strobe.

My Brother in law is going to be real happy with his B-Day gift this year. He will get my old HDS, it still looks new!

That will be a great gift!!
The 30 minutes should be for the 120lm version.
Your 85P should go well longer than 30 min.......

I can't imagine not getting one of these lights!!!

+

kromeke

Enlightened
Short HDS history as I recall what I can remember:

In the pre-Luxeon era, 5mm white LEDs ruled the white LED flashlight market.

HDS Systems (which are the initials of the creator, Henry D. Schneiker) made a light for himself and a few friends called the action light. It had an array of 24 5mm LED emitters. Reliability and durability were of utmost importance, because the action light was made for caving.

Then Arc Flashlight LLC appeared on the scene with the first Luxeon flashlight on the market, the Arc LS.

It is my understanding that Arc approached HDS and hired his services to develop what would become the Arc 4 light, which was descended from the Arc LS and subsequent models.

The HDS and Arc's creator (Peter Gransee) both are listed as inventors on a patent for a power supply (patent #20050151518).

However, there was a falling out at Arc Flashlight (I believe a non-disclosure agreement was violated) HDS Systems then created the EDC series of flashlights, which picked up where the Arc 4 let off, and the flashlight world has been better off ever since.

Then Novatac entered the scene. Don't know anything about them, other than they merged at one time with HDS. Henry posted recently that HDS Systems was back in business, but no details have emerged.

I placed a pre-order for the EDC 85P, because I find my HDS B42 to be bright enough, so an 85 should keep me happy. If money was no object, I suppose I would have pre-ordered the 120, but I think I'll be happy to get the 85 and save $40. If they are like the HDS lights then they are both bargains.

I welcome any comments or corrections about my HDS history.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful when you order and read the details, The Basic and Tactical only have 3 levels. The Basic and tactical also have protruding buttons. I think the P is going to be the way to go even if you never reprogram it.

picture of protruding button is here:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showpost.php?post/1246920/

Basic: 10, 42, 85/120 (slow signal strobe)
Tac: 85/120, 0.3, 42 (and disorienting strobe)
Program: 0.3, 10, 30, 85/120

PS: now that marketplace and the manufactures forums is split off we will have some seriously fractured discussions about these lights :sigh:

hivoltage

Enlightened
I ordered me the 120. If I read it right the Tactical only has the momentary switch so I got the regular one. I dont need to program it. ? I wanted the option to switch the light on. Should be a great light.!!!

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pre ordered a 120 P from Lighthound today and like the rest of you am anxious to see the quality of these lights versus my 2 HDS EDC U60 GT that I got at a bargain price when they were being clearanced. My main concern is with the tint of the LED. Hopefully the majority of them(mine) will have a good tint. Before we start nay saying the quality of these lights lets wait and see what they are really like. Of course there will be those who "won't let the truth get in the way of a good conspiracy."

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.