Streamlight ProPolymer availability - is it still worth buying?

Solaris Wave

Newly Enlightened
This kind of goes with my earlier thread but I thought it would be better to make a new one seeing as I only have one question this time.

I've already ordered two Fenix Cree AA lights (L1D and L2D), which should be with me any day now. I'm still thinking about buying a Streamlight ProPolymer 3C Luxeon but availability in the UK is extremely poor. In fact I have only seen one website that sells that model (and only a few more that sell the 4AA version). It is quite expensive and almost twice the price of the Fenix lights I bought.

Availability in the US is far wider and a lot cheaper to add. Therefore if I was going to buy it, trying to get it from a US site that will ship overseas could be a better option.

However, I was wondering if buying one these days is actually worth it, especially if considering ordering it internationally? Is it still a good light to own or would it be superfluous seeing as I will shortly be owning two Fenix lights? Does the Luxeon LED and lack of light intensity modes mean I would be wasting my money? As it stands right now, I am only planning to get a ProPoly 3C so I have got a really long lasting, large light than runs on C-cells.

Do any of you guys own both brands and if so, what are your recommendations?

Regards.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the light?
  • Runs up 5.5 hrs. at full intensity with 2 additional hrs. of declining usable light
  • Push button tail switch
  • Spring-loaded pocket clip
  • Up to 3,500 peak beam candlepower (40 lumens)
  • Waterproof
  • Durable, non-conductive, impact resistant and corrosion resistant
Weight: 13.5 oz. Dimensions: 9.3 in. X 2.0 in. Batteries: 3 C (included)

Compared to a P3D-CE Fenix:
  • General Mode: 9 lumens (65hrs) -> 40 lumens (13hrs) -> 90 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS
  • Turbo Mode: 160 lumens (1.8hrs) -> Strobe
At maybe 1/5 the weight, twice the run time (at the same lumen setting), and almost 5" shorter....

If you need a rugged Class 1 and like the Streamlight PP3C Luxeon... Why not.

For myself, I really liked the old UK 4AA eLED (10-12 hours on 4AA batteries). The "Zoom" version has two levels--the high level is supposed to be 40 lumen @ 4.5 hours (low is 1/2 power at 10 hours). It is more focused, but I did like the old one because of more spill. And it is a much smaller light than the "3C".

-Bill

Solaris Wave

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's the light that I'm considering. I don't have that particular Fenix light though as I have been aiming for cheaper, more easily available batteries. The Division 1's rating isn't important either as it would be for home use (and some sites don't even show which version). If I can get the Div 1 cheap enough, then I might go for that instead of the Div 2. However I did read in another thread that the Div 1 is inferior in several ways and its only benefit is higher safety standards.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main advantage of the ProPoly over the Fenix would be its incredible toughness. There was one post about nine months ago about someone at work who dropped it repeatedly [~ 6 or 7 times] from 40 or 50 feet [~15 meters] onto concrete and it still worked! If you are going to use the light for caving or other extream uses, or just want a VERY DEPENDABLE light, I would get a ProPoly. Also, Streamlight is known around here to be very good about replacing or fixing any of their lights that fail.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 4AA Lux version Propoly and like the forward clicky switches on the Streamlight Propoly series lights.

Last edited:

webster223

Newly Enlightened
There are certainly brighter lights out there now, but ProPoly is still my go-to light around the house. Reliable as dirt and tough as nails.

Streamlights, like Surefires, are meant to be working flashlights. Eventually they'll update their line with brighter LEDs, but their focus will always be on reliability first.

Webster223

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is. Cree lights are smaller and brighter. They are not more durable or nearly as waterproof. Plus it is cool just to have a light that is differnt than all the others. You could drop your SL off the roof and have a very good chance of it still working. I am not so sure a Cree or many 123a lights would do the same.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats a tough light
I would not buy such with a high powered Led inside because of thermal restraints, and thats why much led lights feature aluminium housings.
In this setup the Streamlight is hard to beat. For what it is built, its perfect.
Want it? Then get it

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the others have said, the PP Lux is tough and dependable. I have several 4AA models, and keep one in each of my vehicles. They're still easily worth the price you pay for them. It's the best throwing Lux light I have, and will just about match the Fenix L2D in that respect.

Solaris Wave

Newly Enlightened
Great, thanks for the info guys. You've convinced me it is worth going for. It would be nice to have a sturdy outdoor light. Now all I need to do is decide whether I should order it in from the US or pay more in the UK and get it a lot sooner (some things take a week to get here, some take a month).

Windscale

Enlightened
I hope I am not too late coming into this thread. The propoly is a perfectly good light. But does it really suit your purpose? If you really need it for home use, then do you need something polymer which takes 3Cs. C size batteries are not that popular. You may want to invest in the version which takes 4AAs rechargeables instead. A charger and 2 sets of eneloop will last you a long time. If you live in the country in the UK with extensive grounds then you may like to consider something more powerful. Having regard to the prices of batts in the UK (unless you shop at places like Cosco's etc) you may think seriously about rechargeables.

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
If you're feeling ambitious, you could have the best of both worlds. A while ago I modded my PP3C with a SSC P4 U-bin.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157857

One thing people haven't really mentioned in this thread is that the Streamlight has an awesome reflector that focuses and throws much better than the little Fenixes. And, of course, the forward clickie and toughness were big selling points for me.

Solaris Wave

Newly Enlightened
No, you are not too late. I haven't ordered it yet. You raise a good point. I actually live in a town suburb to be exact. That is one of the reasons I chose LED as I live in a pretty well lit area. I don't have any C-cell batteries in my house, just AA and a few CR123s (for non-light related equipment). I was considering a C-cell light because then I would have something that lasted a long time and wouldn't eat through my AAs, which I use for various things.

Do you think the AA version would still be better? I thought C-cells were just as common as D-cells.

Windscale

Enlightened
I think you may be wise trying to sort out your battery position first. Best to stick to your CR123As (or even better, R123As) and AAs. It is just going to be confusion and chaos if you keep too many lights requiring different batts. Just imagine having to take so many different kinds of batts with you when you go out!! I have fallen into this trap for a long time and now I am trying to get out of it by going mainly for eneloops (AAs), 18650s and some R123As.

You still haven't convinced yourself why you needed a polymer light. What do you intend to use your light for? Shining at foxes in the backgarden, walking down the park to your local, some hiking? or diving (since you wanted a polymer)?

Have you considered going rechargeable? You will find that you have saved a lot of money in a long run. A good many lights using 4x rechargeable AAs have respectable runtimes and brightness. Also rechargeables run better for cameras than the normal alkaline.

Solaris Wave

Newly Enlightened
I don't use the CR123s for lights (or even have any lights for 123s for that matter) as they are rather expensive batteries. UK websites don't really offer them that much cheaper either.

Right now the only lights I have are my new Fenix L1D and L2D that run on AA, plus my old Coleman 2D light. I don't really see any need to get any more D-cells so that means, unless I get a C-cell light, I'll probably be sticking to AAs for the time being.

I'll be honest and say that I don't specifically need a Polymer light. I simply thought about that particular model because it was highly rated at Flashlightreviews.com and was highly regarded at CPF (apart from battery rattle and occasional clicker switch issues). It seemed like a good combination of everything I required for the price. It was only a short period later that I learned about the Fenix lights and read up on them. They were easier and cheaper to get hold of, so I went for those first.

I don't intend to use the Streamlight for more rigorous uses (cave dwelling, hiking, etc.) but I felt I wanted an all-purpose, long lasting light (should I ever need it for something more than duties around or near the home) and feel unsure about simply relying on my two Fenix lights.

Just to confuse the battery issue further - during our last serious power outage (more than two years ago) I was having a good laugh looking around to see what batteries were available. All the stores had sold out of everything except C cells. It seems that very few non-flashaholics have C cell lights.

Personally, I settled on AA's as my standard because they fit my lights and ham radios.

Windscale

Enlightened
Solaris Wave,

Many lights are top rated by Flashlightreviews and you just can't buy them all. CPF is also full of temptations. You will need to take out a mortgage if your will power is not strong enough. Since you do not have any specific purpose for the light, I suggest you forget about any C lights and stick to the new LSD AAs such as eneloops. CR123As are extremely expensive in the UK. I can't remember if places like Cosco's or Makro's stock them. But you will not regret sticking to AA rechargeables. For using in and around the house, your Fenixes would be more than sufficient. When one day you have another purpose to use a specific type of light, then buy one. Or you will end up like us flashaholics with plenty of lights lying around the house which are rarely used.

Solaris Wave

Newly Enlightened
From your valid point, I guess the Streamlight 3C would be superfluous to my needs. Is it unwise just to have the two Fenix lights however? If I was going to stick to AA batteries (which are always widely available here) and decided to get AA rechargeables, should I consider the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA or would that too be a waste of money now that I have the L1D and L2D lights?

I probably wouldn't need to buy anything smaller and the only other light in the future I may feel I need to buy is an incan' of some sort. Therefore I wouldn't blow too much of my budget on lights. I have too many other hobbies as it is. :laughing:

Windscale

Enlightened
The 4AA Polymer should be good enough for most purposes. It is just as powerful as the 3C but does not run as long. It should run on eneloops, but best to have the batts with you and try this out there. One good thing about the propolymer is that it is of the most robust construction. This light will probably outlast the Fenixes. The only limitation is that it is a 1 Watt LED which is a bit behind in today's technology. But it is reliable and will probably last a lifetime.

But said the above, unless you really want the propolymer, your 2 fenixes will be sufficient for most of your requirements for a long time.