Music stand light

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
I have to get a music stand light for my mother's birthday. Any suggestions? :eek:

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
well they have lights specifically made for music stands, with attachments and all. But i just dunno which ones are good. Was hoping some of you guys were not only into the flashlight industry but classical music as well.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never knew they made music stand lights, but I guess it makes perfect sense, since music is often played in dimly-lit music houses.

If I was faced with this problem, I would probably do a DIY solution involving off-the-shelf parts. For example, Nite-Ize has a few LED modules that contain the electronics and emitter(s) for very cheap, there's a Craftsman module that's also quite good, or you could try a MagLED module. Solder some wires to it, connect it to a switch and a battery carrier (or just a 9V batt for some setups), and you're good to go. If you wanted to get fancy, you could get some JB Stik Weld and create a custom mount, perhaps supergluing a magnet or velcro to it.

...Or you could just buy a ready-made music stand light. :shrug:

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
Depending on the size of the music she is reading I would recommend one of these:
http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Lights/78/ProductDetail.html
http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Lights/52/ProductDetail.html

I have the single headed version, which I use for reading. It has one LED behind a lens, and it produces an even 90deg circle of light. It is my favorite light for reading because it is such a smooth wide spot that I don't have to move it around except for very large books. The switches are on the heads so on the 2 headed version each of the heads can be switched independently.

I would think that the 2 headed version would be best for a music stand due to the size.

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
That is cool, but I don't know if I could spend the money after putting this together:

RPKeys007-03-10c.jpg

Randy

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Wow thank you, the two headed light looks really good. That other one seems kinda expensive though. And i think it only comes with the entire stand. My mother already has a stand so all i need is the light

Oh, and wouldn't an LED light be bad for reading? I think incandescent colored light would be more southing for the eyes right?

Last edited:

Noxonomus

Newly Enlightened
Oh, and wouldn't an LED light be bad for reading? I think incandescent colored light would be more southing for the eyes right?

I think thats a matter of personal opinion, and some thing only your mother can determine at this point. It doesn't bother me although some times with glossy pages you have to make sure you position the head right to reduce glare, I don't know if that would be any less of a problem with incan though.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my LED light for reading all the time. Actually, the clear white flood makes reading a bit easier because it gives better contrast.

I really like both of those LED clip on lights, I might have to get one of those. That looks to be an EXCELLENT solution. I'll bet it gets much longer run time per set of batteries than an incandescent would too.

sideman7

Newly Enlightened
Depending on the size of the music she is reading I would recommend one of these:
http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Lights/78/ProductDetail.html
http://www.mightybright.com/Music_Lights/52/ProductDetail.html

I have the single headed version, which I use for reading. It has one LED behind a lens, and it produces an even 90deg circle of light. It is my favorite light for reading because it is such a smooth wide spot that I don't have to move it around except for very large books. The switches are on the heads so on the 2 headed version each of the heads can be switched independently.

I would think that the 2 headed version would be best for a music stand due to the size.

I have used both of those on gigs... The only problem with them is the narrow field of light they put out. The two headed one is not really enough. Given my choice, I would go with three of the single headed version. They do last quite a while on a set of batteries though...

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
i'm gonna go to sam ash in a bit to check out what they have. I know Sam Ash should be a last resort store because of their crazy high prices, but there aren't too many music stores around me.