Just got a MTE 1xAA SSC-P4...

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Stumbled on this forum and did some reading. Saw the recommendation for a low cost 1xAA light (MTE SSC-P4) and picked one up. Just got it today and I'm impressed that a 1xAA light can put out that much light!

Obviously, the next step is to buy a few more lights. :) So am looking for a 2xAA and a 1xAAA light. Saw the rave reviews for the Fenix L2D-CE and L0D-CE but at ~$55 & ~$45, they're a little pricey. Are there any cheaper options out there? Something along the lines of this MTE SSC-P4 (but in a 2xAA and 1xAAA form factor) would be fine with me.

Thanks!

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Played a bit more with the MTE and I can see why multi-mode flashlights are popular. The MTE is too bright to be used indoors as it tended to destroy my night vision. Will have to read CPF more to see if a mid-range unit like the Dexlight X.V is suitable or if I want to spend extra and just get the Fenix L1D-CE or L2D-CE.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few 1xAA lights on Dealextreme and kaidomain that have multi-modes now, including MTE as well, but some require 14500 li-on battery.

For budget 2AA and 1AAA, I believe they are all single mode at the moment. Dexlight X.V or Jetbeam CL-E (both almost the same in function) are pretty good lights for the money; but it is another 1AA? And a twisty at that. Not as simple to change modes (esp with one hand) as a clickie.

Flymo

Newly Enlightened
Oh, Oh, a other victim for flashlights, be carefull, your money goes up in light, want more, more and more of them
icon3.gif

I started with one, and nobody arround me can't understand I have more than 5 now ! They say, why more than 5, if you use one at the time.
I say, it is like my flyfishingrods.................you need more than one for all situations.... (oh yeah ???)

Last edited:

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Was doing some reading about L1D-CE's and had some questions about a L1D-CE setup.

1. Can I use a Li-Ion AA in a L1D-CE (electrically and physically)? Does it matter if it's protected or not?

2. Does the Eneloop charger work with Li-Ions or just NiMH? I was thinking of buying the Eneloop charger with 4xAA combo and a 14500 separately. If the Eneloop charger doesn't work, what's a good low cost charger that will work with both Eneloops and 14500s?

3. Can I purchase a L1D-CE and a L2D body only? Or do I need the body and tailcap? The Fenix-Store sells both the body and the body/tailcap so I wasn't sure if there was a reason for this. Ease of replacement so you only need to unscrew one item?

Thanks!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
While a lot of the lights on the "budget" sites may seem like a lot of flashlight for the money, in most cases you get what you pay for. The cheaper Chinese lights will not have the flat regulation or superior efficiency of a Fenix light. You will use more batteries, or need to charge you cells more often.

Cheap is expensive. You will end up buying better lights sooner, or later. So save your money, and buy the better light first. :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1. Can I use a Li-Ion AA in a L1D-CE (electrically and physically)? Does it matter if it's protected or not?

2. Does the Eneloop charger work with Li-Ions or just NiMH? I was thinking of buying the Eneloop charger with 4xAA combo and a 14500 separately. If the Eneloop charger doesn't work, what's a good low cost charger that will work with both Eneloops and 14500s?

3. Can I purchase a L1D-CE and a L2D body only? Or do I need the body and tailcap? The Fenix-Store sells both the body and the body/tailcap so I wasn't sure if there was a reason for this. Ease of replacement so you only need to unscrew one item?

Thanks!

1. A 14500 battery will work with the L1D-CE but you will loose all modes(All modes will be turbo, strobe and SOS should still work) until the voltage lowers to 3.2V.

2. 14500 Lithium ion batteries are 3.7V(4.2V off the charger). They will not work with an Eneloop charger which charges 1.2V NiMh batteries. Cheap charger here, and I'd recommend, from CPF, AW's protected batteries(Fenix Store), also at lighthound.

I would recommend using protected batteries if it is you are new to Lithium Ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries will get damaged if their voltage drops below 2.5-2.7V. They might explode if you try to charge a over discharged battery. A protection circuit prevents overcharge and over discharge.

3. You can purchase the body only. The L2D-CE and L1D-CE use the same tail-cap. The P2D-CE uses a different(wider) tail-cap. Fenix store sells the tailcap with the body because P2D-Ce owners might want a AA body and L1/2D-CE owners might want a CR123 body.

Welcome to CPF musicalfruit!

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and welcome, Gunner12.

How long before the 14500 drops to 3.2V? In the L1D-CE reviews that I've seen, there are no 14500 runtime graphs. Does this mean this is not very popular because you lose all the lower power modes? What kind of runtimes do you get?

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
Ah. Just found Chevrofreak's runtime graph thread in the review section. I see he has some 14500 data there. I'll post there with my questions.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I just got one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2821

Not a bad light, especially considering the price. It works but gets hot really quickly. After 10 minutes, I really feel a need to turn it off and get some other light.

I'm considering the MTE 1AA light as I can give one or two away as decent gifts because they use common AA cells everyone can buy cheaply.

Latest posts