Jet I AAA Jet-u

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the Jet I AAA Jet-u from, Emilion's Workbench

Shipping took 7 days.

Cost $55.00

Fit and finsih is excellent.

The Type III Hard Anodize has lines in it. Caused by too much anodize.

Description is from Emilion's Workbench.

model:JET-μ
LED:Soul SSC P4
Max Lumens:120
Reflector: Textured aluminum reflector
Lens: Sapphire crystal
Material: T6061 aircraft grade aluminum HAIII processing
Battery:AAA or 10440 Li-ion
Voltage : 0.7 ~ 4.2v
Function : 33% - 12% - 100% -Flash -Standby
Memory function : 2 seconds after mode selection, the flashlight will flash once to confirm memorzation of last mode selected.

Battery life (AAA)
Main: 12 lumens 2 hrs
Lo: 8 lumens 4 hrs
Hi: 30 lumens 1 hrs
---------------------
Battery Life (10440)
Main : 40 lumens 1 hrs
Lo : 15 lumens 3.5 hrs
Hi : 120 lumens 25 mins

Waterproof:30Meter
Size:13mm X 72mm
Weight: 13.8 gram (battery excluded)

jetu003smallko5.jpg

jetu004smallrb4.jpg

jetu001smallnd1.jpg

jetu002smallpo4.jpg

jetu005smallxh1.jpg

jetu006smalluw9.jpg

jetu010smallip4.jpg

jetu011smallch4.jpg

Uses SSC P4.

jetu021smallcw4.jpg

jetu022smallyj6.jpg

Battery tube.

jetu026smallyc8.jpg

Uses "sticky sponge" to eliminate battery rattle

jetu029smallnw3.jpg

jetu025smallsp0.jpg

Note the fines lines are seen through out the surface of the Type III hard Anodize.

jetu014smallps3.jpg

Comes with an extra o-ring, split ring and key chain buckle.

jetu023smallat9.jpg

Left, Jet I AAA Jet-u. Right, Fenix LOD CE Q2

jetu019smallgq2.jpg

Left, Jet I AAA Jet-u. Right, Fenix LOD CE Q2

jetu027smallxp9.jpg

All beamshots taken by freshly charged Energizer AAA 850mAh Batteries.

Jet I AAA Jet-u. @ 27"

dscn0109smallxl3.jpg

Fenix LOD CE Q2 @ 27"

dscn0110smallts4.jpg

Left, Jet I AAA Jet-u. Right, Fenix LOD CE Q2 @ 27"

dscn0111smallna9.jpg

I am dissapointed by the brightness of the Jet I AAA Jet-u.

I usually take beam shots @ around 77", but due to the weakness of the Jet I AAA Jet-u beam I had to take the beam shots closer.

The Type III Hard Anodize finish poor.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I am dissapointed by the brightness of the Jet I AAA Jet-u.

I usually take beam shots @ around 77", but due to the weakness of the Jet I AAA Jet-u beam I had to take the beam shots closer.

:sigh:

I have read that it's mostly flood. Could the lack of hotspot/throw be what you're experienceing, or is it really "dim"?

:ohgeez:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
:sigh:

I have read that it's mostly flood. Could the lack of hotspot/throw be what you're experienceing, or is it really "dim"?

:ohgeez:

I think it's a combination of both, lack of hotspot / throw.

I have some 10440's charging right now. I hope the Jet-u will show some improvement.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I have some 10440's charging right now. I hope the Jet-u will show some improvement.

Me too. :popcorn:

I've ordered one and some 10440's too - just waiting.

From what I can tell, this is really a 10440 light, and runs MUCH more efficiently (and brighter) on low on a lithium than on medium on a nimh.

I'm very interested to see what you find out.

Usually I wait (or at least try to) longer to get more review and input from those such as yourself... but the hybrid-looking JetBeam/ArcAAA completely destroyed my resolve. :shakehead

I'm hoping to not be too disappointed.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I may have a defective Jet I AAA Jet-u.

I tried cleaning the contacts with Deoxit and Deoxit Gold.

Sometimes the light will flicker brighter then go low.

x2x3x2

Banned
It's the same on mine too.
I think the regulator circuit gets "confused" as the voltage from the cells changes especially over extended runtimes and initial turn on.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same on mine too.
I think the regulator circuit gets "confused" as the voltage from the cells changes especially over extended runtimes and initial turn on.

The light should work easy with no problems.

Did you light have the fine lines in the finish?

I want to return my Jet-u.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. :popcorn:

I've ordered one and some 10440's too - just waiting.

From what I can tell, this is really a 10440 light, and runs MUCH more efficiently (and brighter) on low on a lithium than on medium on a nimh.

I'm very interested to see what you find out.

Usually I wait (or at least try to) longer to get more review and input from those such as yourself... but the hybrid-looking JetBeam/ArcAAA completely destroyed my resolve. :shakehead

I'm hoping to not be too disappointed.

No brightness change in the 10440. Looks the same as the Energizer AAA 850mAh Batteries.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery life (AAA)
Main: 12 lumens 2 hrs
Lo: 8 lumens 4 hrs
Hi: 30 lumens 1 hrs

Battery life (Lithium ions battery 10440)
Main: 40 lumens 1 hrs
Lo: 15 lumens 3.5 hrs
Hi: 120 lumens 25 mins

I definitely not getting these numbers in high, the lumens. My light in high looks like the Lo number 8 lumens.

gunga

Flashaholic
Perhaps a heavy duty contact cleaning?

I cleaned the threads and all contact surfaces on my LF2 with alcohol and a q-tip/rag and it went from a stinker to a great light (that it should be).

Maybe the jet has similar issues?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a heavy duty contact cleaning?

I cleaned the threads and all contact surfaces on my LF2 with alcohol and a q-tip/rag and it went from a stinker to a great light (that it should be).

Maybe the jet has similar issues?

Thanks, I will try that.

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a test with the Jetbeam using a power supply. At 3.6 volts I measured 420 mA on medium, 150ma on low and 840mA on high. I did the test hoping that the light would perform better on a higher voltage cell like the lithium ion. Running on either an alkyline or NiMh I noticed that my light would get warm on the medium setting which was not a good sign since the light output was not very great. Output wise it was maybe 2 times what a Fenix E1 would put out (from a ceiling bounce test). The Fenix would run stone cold. A Peak Pacific would put out more light and run 3 times as long as the Jetbeam - and not feel warm at all.

Test with the power supply set at 3.6 volts: What was disturbing is that the high (840 mA) output was not brighter than the medium setting (420mA). I tried several times since I thought I was crazy or not paying attention and the log scale for brightness was playing tricks. Same results. Medium mode may have actually been brighter than high - and not any brighter than running on a NiMh cell!

Low is lower and not any brighter than when using a 1.2 volt NiMh. I would say that the ouput between the 3.6 volts and 1.2 volts was no different.

It appears that output is no brighter when using higher voltage than when using a 1.2 NiMh cell. And I can't explain why when connected to the power supply that the high mode uses much more current but brightness is that same (and still not bright at all). I have "several" other lights to use as comparison and there is definately something not right here.

I put a NiMh battery back in and all modes work but just not anywhere near as bright as one would expect considering the current draw required.

I have sent an email to [email protected] ca saying I would like a refund. I will post what I hear.

I am really bummed because I really like the light from a construction and looks point of view. It could be so awsome if it performed well.

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Jet-u had a lot of black junk in the threads. Cleaned with a rag, q-tip and alcohol. Used Deoxit and Deoxit Gold.

Still very dim.

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That just doesn't sound right. Double the current should easily provide a seeable difference in output. Perhaps defective units?...or a large qty of the first batch are bad? Seems QC is still suffering.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine did not have the fine lines as i recall :p

I remember Waion saying that the fine lines are caused by too thick of a coating of the Type III Hard Anodize. My VB-16 Type III Hard Anodize Natural had the same problem.

jetu014smallps3.jpg

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did the test again and same results. My medium mode at 3.6 volts still appears slightly brighter than high mode. And too hard to tell a difference in brightness from the NiMh cell on high.

This is my second Jetbeam. My other is a Deal Extreme AA CL-E. This light has a great pure white beam (one of the whitest I've seen) and great finish - the only problem is that it is a battery hog. It draws 1 amp on medium mode, 2 amps on high, and 210mA on low. It has decent brightness for the modes but unusually high power consuption compared to other lights with same brightness. I have read other postings in which they typical average consumption is High=1A, Medium + 450mA, and Low = 60 ma (which is more normal). Why does there seem to be problems with their circuits and why am I the unlucky one who seems to get them? It would be hard to tell it has a problem until you used it often enough to realize it was consuming batteries at an abnormal rate.

They have great construction - just seems like poor electronics from my experiences.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember Waion saying that the fine lines are caused by too thick of a coating of the Type III Hard Anodize. My VB-16 Type III Hard Anodize Natural had the same problem.

jetu014smallps3.jpg

the lines could be machining too.... that's why many manufacturers use sandblasting.