Foxfury Scout
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Damaged eyes?

Default Damaged eyes?

Hi,
    I own what claimed to be a 240mw laser, which is actually 31mw. Anyways, earlier today I was cleaning the lens on the laser when I went to take a look at it. I accidently pressed the button about 6" away from my right eye. It went completely blind for about 10 seconds, and then seemed fine. So I continued to clean it. I realized that I have a tiny spot now where ever I look. When my eyes slide out of focus it disapears. However when I try to look at something in detail there is a gray spot. Could I have damaged my eye permanantly with only a 31mw laser ?

Default Re: Damaged eyes?

I would recommend removing the batteries next time you're cleaning it. I really hope you haven't done permanent damage, I've heard of people doing the same thing and the spots lasted for up to a few days in some cases.

Sorry to hear. Afraid you'll get mainly bad news from this thread.

31mW by itself is enough to cause permanent damage. Power levels as low as 10mW can cause serious damage. This would be compounded by the IR light that you'd get from a 240mW ebay laser.

A bit late given the damage has already been done but i'd see an optometrist.

oh man... that sucks...

D'oh!

The question is how close to the center of vision (macula) did you hit? Yes a laser at that power level can do serious and permanent damage to your retina. Even at 30mW.. however it's quite possible the lasers output varies considerably so you may have blasted your eye with a lot more that 30mW, point blank.

Good luck

PS If you did blast your macula that's very bad news.

See an eye doctor asap, especially if you have vision problems!

PPS Welcome to the tatoo'd retina club
    Last edited by FloggedSynapse; 06-21-2007 at 11:31 PM.

You didn't say the color/frequency of your laser. If its a greenie or other DPSS then you might have one of the "ebay specials" that doesn't have an IR filter and may have 30mw of green but much much more infrared output. I'm only saying this because you say it only appears to be in that range.

If that's the case then you could have easily blasted yourself with a high mw of light and you should go get checked out.

Sorry to say so

If this is the "240mW" laser that's been advertised on Ebay as of late, the infrared content is surprisingly low - I have one of these and determined this via spectroscopy.

stephenmadpotato, look into the mirror do you see this "I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON".and now write 1000 lines "TAKE BATTERIES OUT WHEN CLEANING MY LASER".hope you are ok.
    Last edited by TITAN1833; 06-22-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: add
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

think you got the wrong person

You should go get your eye checked so anything we write here is completely irrelevant.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it's just a spot that will go away in a few days.

Luigi
    Visit my EDCreviews weblog.

That's why FDA approved class 3b lasers have a delayed on switch and why laser pointers are only 5mw so's you don't damage your eyes accidentally.

Well atleast you weren't looking down the barrel of a loaded .45 gun while cleaning it and pulled the trigger. Rule # 1 ALWAYS make it safe before doing an cleaning/maintenance. Guns, Knives, Lasers, power tools, etc. If that was a gun you could have lost your life. Sorry to hear about it, but you must act safely to avoid injury. I hope as time goes by, your sight goes back to normal.
    Fenix TK12, TK15, TK21-U2, Olight M20S, M21 Maelstrom G5, X7 Spark SL6-800CW/740NW, SL5-220CW/190NW/210CW/180OW Xeno CUBE Model #E11 V7 XPG/XML CW/NW Skilhunt Defier X3 ZL SC600, Scorpion v2 w/Turbo Head CW/NW Nitecore TM11 CW/NW, TM26, EC25W/CW

Yeah, this REALLY sucks. Its day 2 and its gotten a "little" better. It was quite stupid that this happened in the first place. If its still here the day after tomorrow I'll get it looked at., even though theres not much they can do. BTW the wave length is 532nm which means yes it was a green. I actually dont think this will affect me in sunlight, when I was outside this morning I didn't notice it. It seems like it may only be in lit rooms. Let this be a warning to all of you, DO NOT SHINE LASERS IN PEOPLES EYES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHAT SO EVER!. If this apears permenant then I will take it apart and check for an IR filter, lets hope I dont have to But if so, I'm going to report this to ebay and maybe then they will stop people from selling people cheap uninfrared-filtered lasers.
    Last edited by stephenmadpotato; 06-22-2007 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BT132435 View Post
    think you got the wrong person
    sorry, "my bad" ill get my eyes tested.edited my post corrected now.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have
    their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmadpotato View Post
    Yeah, this REALLY sucks. Its day 2 and its gotten a "little" better. It was quite stupid that this happened in the first place. If its still here the day after tomorrow I'll get it looked at., even though theres not much they can do. BTW the wave length is 532nm which means yes it was a green. I actually dont think this will affect me in sunlight, when I was outside this morning I didn't notice it. It seems like it may only be in lit rooms. Let this be a warning to all of you, DO NOT SHINE LASERS IN PEOPLES EYES UNLESS YOU HATE THEM. If this apears permenant then I will take it apart and check for an IR filter, lets hope I dont have to But if so, I'm going to report this to ebay and maybe then they will stop people from selling people cheap uninfrared-filtered lasers.
    IR is not going to be as much of a problem as green, in any case, because it spreads out quickly like a flashlight beam -- even at close range, the total amount of IR that you would intercept would be negligible compared to the green. The problem with IR is that it is invisible, and refracts at a different rate than green -- that means if you are using the laser around glass, or something that unintentionally behaves like a lens at close range, the IR could be hitting your eye for a long stretch of time without you ever realizing it, or reacting to it. That is where the potential danger lies, but the potential for damage to be done by the green itself, even in a laser with perfect filtering, is much higher in any case. I would personally be more worried about a 35mW green laser with a perfect IR filter, than a 5 or 10mW laser with crappy filtering. For one thing it focuses a lot sharper on the retina, than IR light, and more significantly it is more collimated, so if you get hit at all, you get the entire beam.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmadpotato View Post
    ***POST EDITED***
    I think you should rethink your post.

Lasers should not be pointed at anyone regardless of your fondness for them.
    Last edited by not2bright; 06-25-2007 at 12:51 PM.

I totally agree with you.
    The post really needs to be edited; if stephanmadpotato does not do it, then I will.

haha, i was just kidding. I changed the post right now .

Thank you; much better!!!

Really sorry to hear about this, and hope your eye gets better soon.

GL;
    DDL

P.S. : The quotes still show the edited post...

Yeah I dont think this is leaving. I think im gonna see a little dot in the center of everything for the rest of my life. Please folks, be careful with these lasers they're very dangerous.

I can't believe you're not crazy angry at this... or even freaking out. If that happened to me i'd be so pissed off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BT132435 View Post
    I can't believe you're not crazy angry at this... or even freaking out. If that happened to me i'd be so pissed off.
    What good will it do to react with emotions that may only compound the problem? What's done is done so the best step to take is to seek medical attention - not to freak out over it.

I'm afraid I have to add my voice with the others in advising you to have it checked out. It can provide peace of mind once your eye's examined.

One problem with IR is that it can damage your eye in such a way that you don't get the full impact at once. The damage could be a clean tear that later begins to deteriorate around the edges. As this deterioration continues, the edges become rougher and the damage more pronounced.

An opthomolgist can examine your eye for any damage that may have occurred and tell you what to expect later. Or he could tell you that you lucked out and that little or no damage occurred.

Please get it checked out and report back here. There are so many variables, such as angle and intensity, that it's hard to tell what may have happened.

I was just about to make a post concerning this issue when I saw this in the thread list.

I have purchased a "200mW" green laser from Dealextreme, and this has happened to me. I will not go into details, the point is, 5 or 6 inches away from my eye, directly into the macula, 0.5 sec or so exposure. It's been 3 days now, and It seems to have gotten very slightly better, but I'm still missing vision in the very center of my right eye. I am so {censored} scared right now, you don't even know it. It's even worse for me as I'm only 16 and I already have a very bad left eye. I can't get it off of my mind. I cannot believe that for the rest of my life I will have a little dot in the center of my vision. I can read computer text but I need to take two passes at things occasionally. I don't know where I can find an optometrist to see asap, I'll have to check with someone as I don't want to tell my parents.

Is there anything that can be done? Like stimulating the area with flashes of light to make it better? I am hoping so much that this spot will go away... I feel for this thread starter right now. I am NEVER playing with lasers again.
    Last edited by The_LED_Museum; 06-27-2007 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Edited out a toliet word.

Quote Originally Posted by k00zk0 View Post

I have purchased a "200mW" green laser from Dealextreme, and this has happened to me. I will not go into details, the point is, 5 or 6 inches away from my eye, directly into the macula, 0.5 sec or so exposure. It's been 3 days now, and It seems to have gotten very slightly better, but I'm still missing vision in the very center of my right eye. I am so f*&^%$g scared right now, you don't even know it. It's even worse for me as I'm only 16 and I already have a very bad left eye. I can't get it off of my mind. I cannot believe that for the rest of my life I will have a little dot in the center of my vision. I can read computer text but I need to take two passes at things occasionally. I don't know where I can find an optometrist to see asap, I'll have to check with someone as I don't want to tell my parents.

Is there anything that can be done? Like stimulating the area with flashes of light to make it better? I am hoping so much that this spot will go away... I feel for this thread starter right now. I am NEVER playing with lasers again.
    Let your your parents help immediately.
    Edit the bad language

Flashaholic

k00zk0,
    Definitely get to an eye doctor. They may not have anything that can cure your eye instantly, but I read that they can give you vitamins that will promote healing.

I read somewhere else about someone making the same mistake, and his vision was fine after a few months. It really depends on how bad you damaged your retina. Go see an eye doctor!

double post
    Last edited by nuggett; 06-27-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: double post

This thread greatly saddens me. I had considered buying a laser for fun, then thought better not with 2 young girls around. Too easy have an accident.

BB guns are in the same category. They are not given the respect they deserve.
    My eye doctor friend has remove 25 eyeballs from bb gun injuries.

An idiot "friend" fired a bb which hit 1" below my eye many years ago. Lucked out.

I truely wish you both a full recovery.
    Today 01:31 AM

Enlightened

That reminds me of when some numbnut decided to blast me w/ 40W q-switched green laserscope during a laser light show setup. Thank goodness I was about 100 feet away and the beam wasn't collimated that well. It caused something similar to what you'r going through that lasted about 2 weeks. Needless to say i quit that job.

Anyway, You should take about 2000mg of vitamin C and 250-500IU of vitamin E for a week, lutien suplements, as well as 100% rda of vitamin A or bata caratine. This will help lessen the effects of secondary free radical oxidatitve stress in the injured area. If there is perminent damage and it's small enough, eventually, your eye will ignore the damaged portion and fill in the gap with a light blurry spot matching the color of the surrounding.

Considder yourself very lucky that you didn't fry your eyball out completerly, and next time TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT!