Is Fenix L2D shock proof?

motorcyclist

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm new to flashlight and thanks to the posts here, I ordered and just received the Fenix L2D. After charging 2 NiMH 2000mAh batteries and turn it on, I was impressed and the light was truly incredible.

Is the L2D shock proof as I didn't see it mentioned the spec. Can it stand rough handling and accidental drops to a concrete garage floor?

Thanks.

-mike-

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, they are not shock proof by any means... However, with vary light electronics today--even complex equipment and/or metal housed items (like this flashlight) are pretty shock resistant because the actual components are so light and attached pretty well to the circuit board via surface mount.

I just dropped my few day old P3D-CE on the pavement from my waist pocket and it came up fine--just a couple nicks in the two ends (little black marker and it looks good again).

But a wrong drop (lands wrong, or just a bit too high)--you will break the glass lens and/or other parts too.

You would want a plastic cased light like the UK 4AAA eLED (Zoom or other model)--or probably something like a SureFire which has thicker aluminum in the body, head, and tail (excluding any filament bulb models).

-Bill

motorcyclist

Newly Enlightened
THanks, Bill, I appreciate your reply.
As long as it's shock-resistant to rough handling and may be occasional low drop, it's fine :)

PS: What's this plastic ring on the holster for?

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Not shock resistant maybe, but there were a lot of impressive stories around about the L1P and how it could take a beating. Like dropping it down an elevator shaft. Are the electronics more fragile now? Hard to say, but I suspect that even dropping the L2D off a one story roof wouldn't stop it from working. The L1D has the same body as the L1P, so it is probably fairly shock resistant too.

defusion

Enlightened
though i haven't tried the elevator shaft, mine has been drop occasionally, and it stands up to it pretty well.
there are no really fragile parts, except maybe the tailcap, which feels a bit flimsy.
but even that, i suspect, will stand a beating. it'll probably wear out quicker from normal use then dropping it occasionally.

motorcyclist

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all. I appreciate all your comments.
It's comforting to know that it can stand up some shocks :)
It's my general use and EDC now.
-mike-

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Look directly at the reflector of the Fenix .............and shout at it in your loudest voice..............I'm swapping you for a Mag .........see if the Fenix still works ..........if it does its shockproof :grin2:

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I have used my L2d for a bike light for about 15 hours of use so far.. The light seems to take the jarring of being on the road pretty well so far..

I would say they are fairly shock resistant, I have dropped mine a few times and still works perfectly..