KL1 head

Size15's

Flashaholic
Any SureFire Dealer can get you a KL1 bezel but as standard the KL1 comes in natural HA.
The E2d comes standard in black HA so you may want to try to find a KL1 in black HA so that it matches.
The best place to find one of those is an Asian SureFire Dealer. In fact there has been a thread on the Z68 Clickie TailCap here recently that may be a place to start since some CPF members do have black HA KL1's and that thread seem to draw some of them out!

Good Luck!

Al :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure if you contact Opticshq.com they may be able to help ya....check the dealers forum for details.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I thought the L series and E series were incompatible?
It's all about using the right terms...

I understand that term "L-Series" to mean the L1 and L2 only.
(The bezels are specific to each light and not interchangeable. The TailCap is the same though)

The "KL-Series" of LED bezels all replace bezels of existing products
KL1, KL2 (discontinued), KL3, KL4, KL5, KL6 & KL7.

The "E-Series" is a group of flashlights (and a WeaponLight) that share the same interchangeability.
E1e, E2e, E1L, E2L, L4, M600 'ScoutLight'

The KL bezels are featured as part of whole flashlights.

KL1 - E1L & E2L (E1e & E2e bodies)
KL2 - n/a (discontinued)
KL3 - n/a
KL4 - L4 (E2e body)
KL5 - L5 (M2/C2 body)
KL6 - L6 (discontinued) (M3/M3T body)
KL7 - L7 (8AX body)

The L1 and E1L do not have any interchangeability. The bezels are different, the bodies are different and the TailCaps are different.

I hope this answers your question?

Al :)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I have an L1 and didn't understand its interchangeablilty.

Is there a reason for the incompatibility?

Size15's

Flashaholic
That's right.
The KL-Series are self-contained LED bezels featuring all the electronics magic they need.
The L-Series bezels (of the L1 & L2) are 'dumb' because the electronics is hosted in the body of each flashlight.
Perhaps this photo taken by Shelby Chan of me holding an L1 back at SHOT Show 2004 helps?
IMG_4466.JPG

(The current L1 bezel has a different compared to this original one)

The new (as yet unreleased) L1 will have a new bezel and a new shorter body with the electronics layed out like the A2's:
IMG_4462.JPG

Dan0s

Newly Enlightened
Thanx for the replies guys. Which would be a better head to get, the kl1 or the kl4 for the e2d? For example compared to a fenix p3d, do they produce better light or will it be similar?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx for the replies guys. Which would be a better head to get, the kl1 or the kl4 for the e2d? For example compared to a fenix p3d, do they produce better light or will it be similar?

i dont have a P3d to compare too, but i have both the Kl1 and L4 heads
the L4 is a very floody beam, it works wonderfully in the dark and inside, but in areas with a lot of ambient light it doesnt work too well, the KL1 has a lot less lumens, but throws them in a tight beam

and wellington surplus in perth had the Kl1 heads in stock last time i was in there
www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au - but it is probably cheaper to get it from overseas

Size15's

Flashaholic
out of topic. Can gen 5 L1 head use in the new L1?
By "gen 5" do you mean the current L1 bezel?

The new L1 will have a brand new electronics package.
It is reasonable to assume that it has been designed with the new Cree XR-E LED bezel in mind.

I don't know whether the old bezel(s) will work on the new L1 body, or whether the new bezel will work on the old body.

I am sure CPF members will discover answers to these questions once the new L1 is released and they buy some to take apart to find out.

Al