Oops, I bought an Icon

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
I tried to resist because of the poor reviews here but it was cheeeeeeap so I have had one for a month or so now.

It isn't really fair to compare this headlamp to one that costs $78. The going ebay rate for Icons is a lot less.

The Icon LEDs are a crazy nice big flood but the artifacts are really noticable. I don't notice it so much being outside. On rough grass or big rocks it isn't very noticable. On white walls it would be quite annoying. I've considered sandpapering the lens cover or something to smooth the beam up. On the upside, the beam spill is really wide and i can see my feet while looking forward. Having to look down to light up your feet is quite annoying to me. I don't have any shoe lights......

The Lux beam is pretty tight. I feel like lottery on this one. The beam is all white and the throw is very good compared to the headlamps that I have seen. It makes a nice companion to the flood of the LEDs. The spill is small like the reviews say. It isn't quite as powerfull and is a bit smaller hotspot than my L2D on turbo but it isn't too far behind so it is quite bright for a headlamp. Just my observations by eyeball there.

It is nice when you see some eyes reflecting at you from the weeds 50 feet away you can use the LUX to light the critter up and actually see them and not just a black outline. I've been watching a baby mink run around on the rocks when I go fishing at night. Last night he was carrying around a 6" fish for supper. With just LEDs you can see the eyes reflect but you can have a hard time telling what you are looking at.

I think it is a pretty decent headlamp for $30something. I like it better than my eos with a cree.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
you are right it's a decent lamp for its price would have been good if it had been build tougher