iPhone - anyone interested?

Deanster

Enlightened
I've been watching the Steve Jobs hype machine, and am thinking about getting an iPhone to take over from my Treo 680.

Anyone else thinking of getting an iPhone?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not really.... It's gonna be expensive. It's a completely new design, which means it's likely to have bugs in it that won't come up until folks have been using it for awhile. And I still have 18 months left on my current cellphone.

Also, I just like having real buttons that you can push.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally don't understand why they didn't design the iPhone to run on the 3G network. Acting as a multimedia phone (the way the commercials are showing it, at least in my market) it's already obsolete as far as the cellular technology is concerned.

It'll have a following, though - people are already buying them sight-unseen..

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah.
As long as I have something that makes and receives phone calls and text messages, I'm set. I have no use for the extra gimmicks of the iphone.
Besides, I can't stand ipods...

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I liked my iPod for a while, and it is good to distract one during repetive tasks, but overall, I don't use it and it sits in a drawer. I want a phone that is smaller with a better battery, not a mini computer.

Phredd

Enlightened
Looks like I'll be the only one here with an iPhone. I watched the 20 minute tour and I love how easy it is to do everything. I use my Treo 700p for everything and I've always been a little frustrated with it, especially the browser and e-mail. The iPhone browser looks awesome! To me the big downside is the loss of a few of my Palm apps.

Phredd

carrot

Flashaholic
The fact that the iPhone is currently an AT&T exclusive is a real turn-off to me. I think the price is about right for Apple and a fair value for what they are offering. What they're offering is a much more capable handheld than the typical smartphones currently on the market, IMO, with its full web browser and iTunes integration.

I wish they'd offer a Verizon flavor, as I am quite happy with my service from Verizon. When/if the iPhone gets GPS, I will probably be in the market for one. The fully featured web browser is the real draw for me... most smartphones have crippled mini browsers.

I used to be a big fan of Palm, but it seems that as Microsoft keeps making their handheld OS better, Palm OS just stagnates, and in this day and age where information is continually used and passed between apps, multitasking is a real must, something that Palm has never really gotten to. I'll have to visit an Apple store to play with the iPhone to see if they really nailed it.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nope, especially since it only runs on the Cingular network. For me it's more important to be able to connect and remain connected throughout the call than to have all of that bling.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested. Smartphones running Windoze turn me off.
I don't run Windoze on my desktop, why do I want it on my phone?

Palm OS is stagnating, to be sure, but nobody has yet come up with
as good an IMAP client as Snapper for any of the other mobile platforms.
For my needs, it must have support for multiple IMAP mailboxes, SSL,
and the ability to cache at least message headers locally, and the ability
to configure the location of the cache so memory cards can be used.
If the iPhone's mail client can do that, and they haven't overly crippled
the bluetooth w/r/t iPodness, I will buy it.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
same as carrot; if it had a gps like the verizon, or even just a voice that said
"turn right in 3000 feet, turn right in 1500 feet, turn right in 500 feet, turn right in 100 feet, turn right in 50 feet.." like the Tomtom --
I find it really difficult to go to new places around here, the roads and signage are often unclear -- and at night forget it., you cam't relax and cruise when you're looking for signs and exits and street signs...a voice giving directions would be a great liberation...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that the iPhone is currently an AT&T exclusive is a real turn-off to me. I think the price is about right for Apple and a fair value for what they are offering. What they're offering is a much more capable handheld than the typical smartphones currently on the market, IMO, with its full web browser and iTunes integration.

I wish they'd offer a Verizon flavor, as I am quite happy with my service from Verizon. When/if the iPhone gets GPS, I will probably be in the market for one. The fully featured web browser is the real draw for me... most smartphones have crippled mini browsers.

I used to be a big fan of Palm, but it seems that as Microsoft keeps making their handheld OS better, Palm OS just stagnates, and in this day and age where information is continually used and passed between apps, multitasking is a real must, something that Palm has never really gotten to. I'll have to visit an Apple store to play with the iPhone to see if they really nailed it.

Ditto on the verizon. My family has had nothing but bad experience with AT&T...
IMO, the more functions they keep jamming into these things the worse they are going to be.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
AndyTiedye, if they are using Mail.app ported from OSX, then it will do all that you've outlined. Since their claim is that it is basically a stripped down OSX, then I would believe it to have a very good and powerful mail client.

Vincent

Newly Enlightened
There are always people who get the phones early. I knew a guy at my school who had the Razr a full 7 months before it came out.

greenstuffs

Banned
What a load of crap the iphone there is nothing a iphone can do that a smartphone cannot do plus all the touch screen can make people sick because the response is always slower and less feeling than a regular keyboard.
The huge screen must suck batteries like crazy and who listens mp3 with their phone, your batteries will be drained when your really have to make a important call. Thats just a teenagers toy and not a real phone.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Sure it is expensive, but so is an ipod and people are buying those things right up. This is basically just an ipod with a cellphone attached. Well and a bunch of cool applications.

Problems with a new device? There might be a few but i wouldnt be too worried. Expensive? Yeah but this thing replaces your cellphone/PDA/ipod and camera and its smaller than carrying all those things seperately.
I wonder what the battery life is like though.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
What a load of crap the iphone there is nothing a iphone can do that a smartphone cannot do plus all the touch screen can make people sick because the response is always slower and less feeling than a regular keyboard.
The huge screen must suck batteries like crazy and who listens mp3 with their phone, your batteries will be drained when your really have to make a important call. Thats just a teenagers toy and not a real phone.

Its not just that. All the cool stuff inside is based on the operating system. Sure other phones out there pack a lot of the same functions into their phone but Apple is known for its superior operating systems. Apple systems are more reliable and more intuitive, not to mention better looking. So while function on the outside seems the same its really not the same as every other smartphone.