Does Fenix light fit in Nite IzeHeadband?

Joseph13

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you know if a P1D or P2D, L1d and L2d fit in the Nite Iez Headband?

I am thinking of getting the headband or making something simmilar, nylon webbing, hook and loop fasener and elastic band for light holder.

The production head band has two problems I see. Only desighed for one light, feels more balanced with one on each side of head, and two some kind of spacers to adjust light orentation. The orentation thing may just be me over thinking it.

One more thing, does this solve the lack of cree based headlights?

Any feedback is apriciated.

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
The L1D/P2D fit. I do it all the time.

Don't know about the P1D.

It's light enough that it doesn't feel unbalanced.

The problem with it is there's not a lot of adjustment as far as where it shines, but I can usually adjust it on my head to get it where I want it.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix L1P fits, but just barely. It has a SSC in it now, so it could be a Cree headlamp, eh?
Just like Mchlwise said, the problem you're gonna have using the NI headband is that you cannot pivot the light downward, and that defeats the purpose of using it at all.

GaryF

Enlightened
The Jackstrap Headband is a slight improvement, IMHO, as it allows for 2 or 3 different light angles. The P1D doesn't work very well, as with it's short length the straps cover both the body and the head, making the twisty hard (but not impossible) to operate. Generally it works better for longer flashlights, as shorter lights are right next to your eye and tend to glare a little.

I use it with my L1D fairly regularly. It's good in a pinch or for traveling light, but the limited adjustment and minor glare issue keep it from replacing a dedicated headlamp.

Jackstrap:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=650&memberId=12500226

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
do NOT get the nite ize strap. i have it. the elastic faces too far up. it should be more down.i had to cut it off and resew it on with a different angle.

if you are handy with a needle and thread(you dont have to be an expert), i say just get some elastic from a crafts store like michaels, walmart maybe bed bath and beyond and just sew on your own loop holes onto your most comfortable cap or visor with the bill facing forward or not. that's what i would do if i had to redo it.

about weight. i feel like my l2d is too heavy for one side. a single cell battery might be very different. my l0d is practically weightless so it's super comfortable, even more than my 3aaa headlamps. i think single cells should be fine with weight.

if you do want to just buy a head band i would recommend the one they sell at EMS for $6. i forget what company but it's made for minimags. it has two loop holes. 1 straight and 1 angled down for some flexibility.
EDIT: garyf link is the same one i am talking about

Marduke

Flashaholic
Sounds like a lot of work - why not just buy a dedicated headlamp? A PT Aurora is less than $20.

I keep some sort of headband in the car over a headlight for two simple reasons:
1) It works with what's already in the glovebox, my pocket, or belt
2) It doesn't need to be tended with fresh batteries every year, and can be forgotten about until needed for occasional use.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I keep some sort of headband in the car over a headlight for two simple reasons:
1) It works with what's already in the glovebox, my pocket, or belt
2) It doesn't need to be tended with fresh batteries every year, and can be forgotten about until needed for occasional use.

I keep a headlamp with lithium batteries installed, so no worries about checking each year for leaking or dead batteries. Seems to me that any headband to hold a flashlight is a poor substitute for a real headlamp.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
for me, there is no headlamp out there that has the output i want at the weight i want.

You should check out the Nuwai HLX-712L. It runs on 2 CR123 batteries with 3 brightness levels. On high, it matches the output of my Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should check out the Nuwai HLX-712L. It runs on 2 CR123 batteries with 3 brightness levels. On high, it matches the output of my Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Lux.

oops should be more specific
order of importance.
1. weight, 1 cell(preferably rechargeable, common would be great like aa,aaa)
2. output, +40 lumens
willing to sacrifice runtime. i'll carry extra batteries. i just want comfort with a reasonable brightness.

nuwai is 4.5 oz with 30 lumens at 5hrs
l0d is 3.0 oz* with 46 lumens at 1 hr

*strap weighs 2 oz? + lod weighs 1oz with batteries = 3 oz approx :thinking:

nuwai looks pretty good overall but flashlightreview complains about it feeling "front heavy" and it doesn't satisfy my specific priorities.
50% more heavy with less output.

GaryF

Enlightened
*strap weighs 2 oz? + lod weighs 1oz with batteries = 3 oz approx :thinking:

My Jackstrap headband weighs .8 oz, and the L0D-CE / Jackstrap combo with lithium battery and pocket clip (no lobster claw attached) is 1.8oz. My Nuwai 712 does indeed come in at exactly 4.5oz with batteries.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a headlamp with lithium batteries installed, so no worries about checking each year for leaking or dead batteries. Seems to me that any headband to hold a flashlight is a poor substitute for a real headlamp.

I 2nd that one! Try changing a flat with the headband, the light is every where except the tire!

Joseph13

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Thank you for all the input. I already have a PT EOS, and two Photon Freedoms with the hat-clip that I use, I edc the 1 cell battery lights like P2D & L1D and was thinking I have one of the Fenix's on me all the time, and not always the first three I listed.

20+ years of handhelds and I got my first headlamp use 6mo. ago, and now I can't stop looking for ways to improve existing headlamps (Crees Are on the way for the EOS) or come up with a better headstrap.

My idea is....

Some kind of adjustable plate with 1-2 sets of clips to hold the body of a light like we are talking about, with an angle adjustment ( 4-7 locking positions, or a set of toothed mating surfaces with a spring loaded locking plunger).

If and when I get to a functional prototype I will post photoes.