PSA: Benchmades' are sharp. ( Hospital trip )....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't use a freshly sharpened Benchmade 154CM Mini Griptilian to try to pry off the lanyard ring from a L1. Because it, um, could slip or something and go *completely* through your thumb and also slice your index finger pretty good. Then, as blood comes literally pouring out in buckets, you could pass out, hit your head on your desk dropping the phone (talking to your wife who's trying to keep you calm until she can take you to the hospital, but ends up calling EMS since she can't hear you any more) and when you come to about 10 seconds later realizing you were thrashing around a bit while you were out and got blood absolutely everywhere making the scene look like someone was cut up with a chainsaw or something. Then when you get to the hospital, the first technician who gets to look at it says something like, "Whoa, I'm, uh, gonna go get a doc, thats' worse than it looks." Then they send you for x-rays, since the knife went across the bone and they want to make sure theres not a chip or two floating around in there somewhere. Then they stick the needle of numbing agent DIRECTLY into the wound and you scream like a little girl until there done, finally getting 9 stitches and your wife threatening to put all those "damn fancy knives" up on ebay.

I'm not saying it was me, but, um, the guy who did it sent me this pic to show the results:

picture6zj4.jpg

Yeah, I bet that guy feels dumb! Lets' all point and laugh!:hahaha:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard about this guy who dropped a Gerber fighter on his bare foot (pointy end down) while practicing some "shifts". Boy, was he dumb.....

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
KDOG3 - Welcome to the "9-stitch" club!

On my left thumb, I bear a 3-inch, 40 year old scar from using an Xacto knife as a kid. Like you, right to the bone and 9-stitches. I still vividly remember everything you describe, including the needle directly in the wound.

The scar was listed as an "identifying mark" on my draft card during the Vietnam era.

Gotta tell you though, every time hastily pick up a knife to quickly get something done - I stop and think about that day, and look at my "reminder".

Really glad you're OK and got treatment quickly.

Wishing you a speedy recovery,
Bill

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy S, that is something else! I'm glad you're ok and got to keep your digits.
All my cuts end up on my thumbs, and they're almost all related to either playing with a knife after alcohol, or using it for something completely not meant for a knife.

Mad1

Enlightened
I've gotta ask, did you even manage to get the ring off? :laughing:

I found the best tool was one of those really tiny screw drivers, they type jewelers use or the ones for fixing glasses.

Glad your OK KDOG3.

Valolammas

Enlightened
Ow, that's got to hurt! I feel sorry for the poor guy, whoever it was...

I got my first knife when I was about 6 or 7. Took me less than 5 minutes to cut my fingers with it, but I haven't done it since. (Uh-oh, guess I shouldn't say that aloud, that's just asking for a cut.)

carrot

Flashaholic
Ouch! This is why knives aren't pry bars... for your protection, not theirs. ;) Sorry that you had to learn the lesson the hard way.

A PSA from myself: never throw your knife in the air and catch it, even if it's closed... it just might open. Bled like crazy and hurt like a b**** for three weeks.

Mad1

Enlightened
I had my factory sharp Spyerdco D'allara (spydie edge) on my lap, I stood up the knife fell open and hit the floor centermeters from my feet. I wouldnt like to have experienced pain like that.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG, since this thread "may not not be about you," I guess it's perfectly fine to say it made me laugh! Excellent post!

Yeah, I've mentioned it before regarding another Benchmade with 154cm, that their blades are scary sharp. This post is just another testament to that fact. The 154cm Benchmades are so sharp that it's just plain scary. I've not done anywhere near THAT kind of damage with my Benchmades (the one that "got me" is a Benchmite), but I've sliced my finger with it a few times and I never really knew the meaning of "a sharp knife," before then. To say it'll slice through flesh "like a hot knife through butter," isn't an exageration at all.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch. I've done less and had serious nerve deadness in some of my fingers, so I hope you're OK.

However, after reading all your posts about flashlights you've damaged while trying to take them apart and now this, I think we are going to find you a nice safe hobby, like doing crossword puzzles...but with crayons, not those dangerous sharp pencils... :oops:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
...but with crayons, not those dangerous sharp pencils... :oops:

I hope you're not joking there... pencils can be dangerous! Just take my word for it - I don't want to have to take a picture of my forehead - cause there's pencil lead in it! (Now there's a story I sure AIN'T tellin'!)

:ohgeez: john