"N" Battery alternative?

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I have a co-worker with a coast light that takes three N batteries. I have tried searching, but "N" is too short for the search feature to work. Are there any batteries that could be used instead of "N" type batteries? What about 2/3 A? Are there any rechargeable "N" batteries?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were you I'd skip just about anything with N batteries. They just dont cut the mustard, sorry. Some will disagree, thats fine.

DM51

Flashaholic
I have a co-worker with a coast light that takes three N batteries. I have tried searching, but "N" is too short for the search feature to work. Are there any batteries that could be used instead of "N" type batteries? What about 2/3 A? Are there any rechargeable "N" batteries?
The N-cell is a 1.5v alkaline cell, 2/3 the length of a AAA and the same diameter (10mm).

This is the same size as a 10280 Li-Ion, but the 10280 is of course 4.2v and unprotected, so it will almost certainly be unsuitable for use in your friend's light.

I don't know if any NiMH cells are made that size but if they are, he could try those, as running a light off N-cell alkalines would be expensive (and probably not very bright at all).

Marlite

Enlightened
Gonzo

Are you sure it's an "N" battery? I have a Coast V-10 take 3 AAAA's Streamlite makes them for the Stylus Pen light. Batteries and Butter has the GP alkalines as well as the rechargeable AAAA's as well as Duracells and Energizers.

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/page/bb/CTGY/AAAA

The Coast Cutlery (US Distributor) website has descriptions and should help guide you as many brick and mortar stores have stock.

http://www.coastcutlery.com

Cheers, marlite

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a great fan of N cells, except that single N cell torch bodies can very easily be modified to a G23A at 12V, with a string of three LEDs run in series. The setup is self limiting, so no extra regulation needed. My avatar was my favourite (before it went missing) with 6 LEDs.

How big is the head on your co-worker's torch? Big enough for nine 3mm LEDs?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is possible to buy NiMh rechargable "n" size batteries and charge them on a regular charger with the addition of a spacer.

For the price and the trouble though you could throw the light away and get something good.

I bought some Alkaline N's the other day for my HP calculator, dang they are expensive. Luckily I only have to do this every 5-10 yrs.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some Alkaline N's the other day for my HP calculator, dang they are expensive. Luckily I only have to do this every 5-10 yrs.
If I were you I'd keep an eye out for a little solar panel, maybe pull one out of a junker calculator.

paulr

Flashaholic
N's are a little thicker than AAA's. Anyway they're fairly easy to buy at places like radio shack. Batterystation has them for 75 cents each if you want to buy online.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume they are still used in some medical devices since I see them sometimes referred to as "medical batteries".

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to your help, I was able to find a few websites that sell rechargeable N batteries. I had my co-worker measure his light, and the barrel is 0.5" (12.7mm) inside diameter, and 3.5" (88.9mm) inside length.
I did tell him it would be more cost-effective to just get another light, but he still wants to see if some alternative batteries could be found if the price is right. Any additional ideas would be appreciated.

DM51

Flashaholic
Well, N-cells are 10mm diameter by 28mm in length, so you'd get about 3 of them in whatever light this is, although they are a bit skinny and they would probably rattle a bit. That is the same size as 2 x AAA cells.

What has to be right is the voltage. If you are using Li-Ions, the light has to be able to take 4.2v multiplied by the number of cells, ie for 3 x 10280 (N-cell size) it would be 12.6v, for 2 x 10440 (AAA size) it would be 8.4v. Unless the light is regulated that will almost certainly be too much. Li-Ion technology also has a number of risks that go with it, and it is not recommended until you are thoroughly conversant with these.

However if you are using NiMHs, it is nice and easy - just use the same number as the alkaline N-cells.