Frequent recharging high capacity non-Eneloop/non-Hybrid NiMH question

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have a regular high-capacity non-Eneloop/non-Hybrid NiMH. I know it discharges itself fast. I want to make sure when I need the battery, it will be there with a charge. So I charge it once a week, regardless of whether I have used it or not.

Is this OK? What are the consequences, if any?

If I charge it once a week, even if it is unused, does that mean I subtract one life cycle from it's total life cycle? So if a NiMH is rated at 500 cycles, I can charge it for a max of 500 weeks. Regardless of whether I have used it or not?

Any input appreciated.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally I wouldn't recommend a 15 minutes charger but it seems that it will fit your situation nicely. Is 15 minutes too long to wait?

Otherwise you can proceed according to your plans. One life cycle is equals to a "full charge followed by a full discharge". Full-Cycle them once every few months. Regarding the 500 'full cycles', well it will hold a little bit less charge than it is when new.

Do let us know what sort of charger you are using?

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
... just using a regular Eneloop charger - for non-Eneloop high capacity regular NiMH.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
... just using a regular Eneloop charger - for non-Eneloop high capacity regular NiMH.
Will the Eneloop charger charge only 1 battery? I like the small 2 bay size but most of my lights are single cell. Does not say on the package.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a question I asked myself.

"Can the Eneloop 4 bay charger charge 1 at a time?"

I also have the Rayovac Hybrid charger with 4 bays and in the instructions, it indirectly says that it can charge 2 at a time. But the Eneloop charger did not have the same instructions.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is Model #: NC-MQN05U 4 bay charger ... must be able to charge one at a time since there is no warning on the instruction manual. Unlike the Rayovac Hybrid charger which had a warning on the manual to charge in pairs.

Bones

Enlightened

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have a regular high-capacity non-Eneloop/non-Hybrid NiMH. I know it discharges itself fast. I want to make sure when I need the battery, it will be there with a charge. So I charge it once a week, regardless of whether I have used it or not.

Is this OK? What are the consequences, if any?

If I charge it once a week, even if it is unused, does that mean I subtract one life cycle from it's total life cycle? So if a NiMH is rated at 500 cycles, I can charge it for a max of 500 weeks. Regardless of whether I have used it or not?

Any input appreciated.
I wouldn't expect them to last 500 cycles. You might like to give them a full discharge every few weeks. It should help.