Sony 2500 mAh - HR mark on the underside, the (-) side - what's the meaning?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got confused with some of the posts regarding this topic so I hope you guys don't mind if I create a new thread.

I just found some Sony AA 2500 mAh with the "HR" mark on the underside, the (-) side.

Meaning ...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize there is a LOT of information out there. So I tried to simplify it in the other post but then a lot of people jumped in with all the nit picky details.

So you could:
1) read every post about NiMh problems on CPF and make your own descisions.
2) Avoid all 2500 batteries.

I've done #1, but it's just so much easier to do #2

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, thanks. It is too irresistible, "Sony" is a very good brand.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ltiu,

Actually, the HR stamp is an international marking that means the cell is a NiMh cell. NiCd cells do not carry that mark.

In a factory making both NiCd and NiMh cells, this may be the only way to tell them apart until they are labeled.

Tom

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sony is a very large corporation with a very good marketing department. Don't mistake that for quality. They are the Mag Light of the electronics world.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Ltiu,

Actually, the HR stamp is an international marking that means the cell is a NiMh cell. NiCd cells do not carry that mark.

In a factory making both NiCd and NiMh cells, this may be the only way to tell them apart until they are labeled.

Tom
See what I mean by people jumping in with extra information that only confuses the newbie.

HR6 is one of the official designations for an AA sized NiMh battery but only Sanyo seems to use the stamp on the bottom. Sanyo really does make 70-80% of consumer NiNh batteries, few of them in the US have the Sanyo label though they are mostly rebranded.
There is probably really no way to know who is making a particular battery you are holding. All the big companies have multiple factories in multiple countries.

Silverfox, I know he asked a specific question that you answered, but what he really wants to know is which NiMh battery to buy and I told him to avoid the 2500's.

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sony is a very large corporation with a very good marketing department. Don't mistake that for quality. They are the Mag Light of the electronics world.

That's an interesting analog. Was MagLite once at the top, kinda in the level of Fenix and maybe SureFire 10, 15, 20 years ago or so?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silverfox, I know he asked a specific question that you answered, but what he really wants to know is which NiMh battery to buy and I told him to avoid the 2500's.

... and thanks for the tip.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cave Dave,

Yes, the 2500 mAh cells are an interesting case...

I have had 8 out of 16 cells develop high rates of self discharge and go bad on me. However, the other 8 are performing very well.

"Do you feel lucky?" :)

Tom

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How high a self-discharge rate are we talking about here? I've never noticed a problem with any of mine, though i'll be sure to check now.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
litu,
SilverFox is THE expert on batteries here at CPF. Hopefully he will chime in here.

I think what Litu wants to know is what is the best Nimh he can purchase locally, like at Target. In the Low Self Discharge (LSD) models the Rayovac Hybrids seem good for the 2 months I have had them. The Sanyo Enerloops have been fantastic and I've been using a set for 18 months.

I don't know whats good and available in the high capacity market.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool. I'll check, but that doesn't seem like something that would've escaped my notice. I vaguely remember this; i thought it was only for ones that were manufactured during a certain time frame. Anyway, this is a topic for a different thread, but thanks for the response.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cave Dave,

The "best" is an illusive target, and often short lived. The advice I feel comfortable giving is to study the test graphs and pick a cell that meets your needs.

Tom