Shelf Life - what does it means?

LA OZ

Enlightened
When manufacturer states the battery has 10 years shelf life, what does that mean? Does it means - takes 10 years to loss 50% capacity or 100% etc?

soffiler

Enlightened
When manufacturer states the battery has 10 years shelf life, what does that mean? Does it means - takes 10 years to loss 50% capacity or 100% etc?

The Energizer data sheet for L91 (AA format, lithium/iron disulfide chemistry, 1.5volts) says 15 years stored at 21C to 90% of rated capacity. Oddly, the Energizer datasheet for 123 (lithium/manganese dioxide chemistry, 3.0 volts) makes no mention of shelf life. (They may deal with it elsewhere in their literature.)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I doubt there is an industry wide standard that they all follow. Some may say 10 year shelf life that means 50% of original, another 90%. Probably the Gold Standard is Surefires 123a 10 year shelf life...but even they don't say what that specifically means in terms of % of original mAh, nor did their tech support line have an answer when I called just now.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithiums have pretty low self discharge. After 10yrs, they still should have 80+% capacity. I was once told by SilverFox that the shelf life refers more to the seals and not the remaining capacity.

LA OZ

Enlightened
This is all meaningless when there is no proper definition. Shelf life term got throwing around and no body know what it means. :(

Silverfox, where are you?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello LA OZ,

I think you have received some very good answers so far...

Under ideal storage conditions (60 F and 50% RH) you can expect Alkaline cells to have around 80% of their initial capacity at their expiration date, and Lithium cells should have around 90% of their initial capacity.

Heat things up and you end up with less capacity, cool things down and your shelf life increases.

Tom