Anyone try the 18650s from DX? PLUS, my light doesn't work!

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
After waiting quite some time I finally get my 18650 for the Ultrafire WF-502B I ordered for my son (they forgot the ship the battery).

I've had it on the DSD for several hours now (probably 3-4) and it isn't even slightly warm. I'm wondering if this is normal or if it's charging at all. This is my first 18650 so I guess I'm not sure what to expect.

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Re: Anyone try the 18650s from DX? Is this right?

That's completely normal. If it does get warm then you should be worried.

And I hope yours works better than the one I have. It won't charge to over 4.0 Volts on my DSD :(, while AW batteries charge as expected to 4.17-4.20V.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone try the 18650s from DX? Is this right?

Thanks.

Well I just checked it again and all of a sudden it's charged :thinking:

Anyway I put it on the multimeter and I'm getting 4.1v

Now the next problem, I put it in the light and nothing! Now what? I assume the plus side goes toward the head as is typical? I have no idea if I got a dud or what. I'm getting pretty miffed though, this was supposed to be for his birthday 2 weeks ago!

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
It probably just needs a small "battery magnet" to help the positive side to reach past the plastic wrapping and make contact. Note that any metal bridging the positive side of the battery to the wall of the aluminum flashlight tube has the potential to short the battery. Some folks do not have magnets and do not want to wait to get them and instead use a small ball of aluminum foil.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mudman, I did figure that out all on my own (a miracle)!

I'm posting a rant about it now!

You know, I'm in Iowa too.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
No this is the one. I paid for an Ultrafire batt and I got an unbranded one :confused:

coppertrail

Enlightened
OK, I was starting to get a bit concerned. It appears that the UFs have nubs on the + terminal, so I wondered which ones you had. Hopefully I get the cells I ordered :)

Are they sending you the correct batteries?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of the cheapest 18650s they have, the unprotected 1800mah one.
I don't have any immediate use for it, as I don't have 18650 lights, so I just got it to play around with and maybe hack it in some gadget. Hey, it was cheap.
It still has to get here; sadly, mail takes a long time to get from HK to Italy. *sigh*