Use IR Filter with MaxaBeam?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Oh man I just got this brand new MaxaBeam today, and saw the sticker on the additional lens which is an 1850 Covert IR filter. Do any of you use this or other filters with it? Now I may have to buy some night vision gear....lol!!!

I wonder who first bought this package....it is obviously brand new in the deluxe storm case, plastic sealed, not a mark on it. It's G3, has two NiCad batteries, and universal MBP-5200 charger that does Lithium, NiMH, & NiCad packs. Where is a good place to get a Lithium pack?

Already fired it up right out of the box.....what a beautiful hotspot. Now to fast charge condition these batteries.

:twothumbs:twothumbs

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How naked-eye visible is the light with the IR filter on?

I used to have a Lomo "ELF-1" IR monocular (traded to another CPFer come to think of it) and even the puny built-in IR LED would really light things up through the scope!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
This filter is unbelievable. If I use this in a totally blackened room and focus it into the tiny hotspot and shine it on a white wall, I cannot see any light on the wall. I'm not going to look into the light directly...but this is truly amazing filtering. None leaks out from filter edges even.

I was just playing with it down at the ocean shining out towards Fisher's Island and over to Long Island, and I really had no idea how powerful this baby is. The only way I can describe its tight beam collimation is to compare it to a powerful laser. It is a little wider, but it really looks like a white laser. I had about a 8 people come over to where I was using it to see what this was. This is way beyond what I had anticipated, and now understood why everyone who has one talks so highly about them. I do have to get a Lithium battery for it. Even though this came with two NiCad packs, they are just too heavy.

Last edited:

peakbeam1

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your purchase! FYI Peak Beam Systems will be releasing a new lithium battery in 6-8 weeks. It will run your Maxabeam for 115 minutes and is roughly 2 lbs. The new pack features an integrated charger so you can charge it by simply connecting it to any 10-28 vdc source. You may also be interested in the new collimating lens. It illiminates the dark spot that appears as you widen the beam.
Give us a call if you have any questions.

Peak Beam Systems, Inc.
610-353-8505

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Congrats on your purchase! FYI Peak Beam Systems will be releasing a new lithium battery in 6-8 weeks. It will run your Maxabeam for 115 minutes and is roughly 2 lbs. The new pack features an integrated charger so you can charge it by simply connecting it to any 10-28 vdc source. You may also be interested in the new collimating lens. It illiminates the dark spot that appears as you widen the beam.

Peak Beam Systems, Inc.
610-353-8505

Wonderful to hear from you! I will most definitely get one of those Lithium batteries and likely the collimating lens. I did not see price lists on your website, so I am not sure what your end user sales policy is for parts. I was going to call after the holiday.

We had a party at the beach tonight and people had no idea that lights like the Maxabeam and XeVisions 75W Barn Burner existed. Several boat (yacht) owners and my uncle who co-owns a marina in Mystic, CT wanted to know more about these, and were upset that their "spotlights" were so anemic in comparison.

N162E

Enlightened

Peak Beam Systems, Inc.
610-353-8505
Hi Robert,

I'll be interested in that new battery also. I have an older Maxabeam, purchased at the Shot Show from Lyte Optronics about 9 years ago. I have the Ni-Cad with a trickle charger and really did not want to purchase a Lithium battery And a charger for the little bit I use it. The collimating lens looks interesting also.

dwminer

Enlightened
For those of you interested in the MBA-3015: Collimating Lens
MBA-3015: it retailes for about $420. I purchased one and will have it in about 10 days. I'll report back on how it works out.
Dave

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
For those of you interested in the MBA-3015: Collimating Lens
MBA-3015: it retailes for about $420. I purchased one and will have it in about 10 days. I'll report back on how it works out.
Dave

Thanks. Be good to hear about it. For the time being, I'm just using the tight focus, and love that programmable menu so I can have the startup tighter spot and longer lasting brightness....man when that kicks in it seems like the intensity doubles. I wonder how much it is actually increasing (from what lumens/CP to what).