PEAK
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T (Now with Beam Shots!)

Default Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T (Now with Beam Shots!)

Hello everyone, new to forum here but I've used it for reference for a while now. I have been fortunate enough to get a Novatac EDC-120T for some T&E so I'll try to "give back" to the forum with this review (of sorts). The unit I have is a pre-production model. It looks the same as the production models on Novatac's website but lacks the two flats on the sides with the engraved text. It's just checkered all the around.

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge or facilities to do a "real" test of the light. I'm not a light expert by any stretch of the imagination. I can just explain it compared to my other lights.

First off, the unit is small. I've been carrying it around for about two weeks now it a great pocket light. I've also used it during a night shoot training session and it worked out great. We were shooting 50 yards and in with pistol and the EDC-120T worked well in both the Harries, Reverse Harries, Rodgers-Surefire and LAPD technique. Stationary and moving targets in addition to "hostage" style targets. We also shot some force on force using Simunitions and I really threw the guys for a loop when I hit them with the strobe mode and some practice flashbangs.

As far as carrying the light, I generally wear "functional" pants so I usually have more than the standard amount of pockets. But even in jeans with the extra little pocket inside the right front pocket, I can fit the light my cell phone without any problems. Here's a size comparison to some other lights. Sorry for the crappy photo. I'm sure you guys are all familiar with the lights here though.

Now getting into brightness. Compared to one of my SF 6P's with the DX CREE upgrade, the EDC-120T seems to be a little brighter but the beam on the EDC-120T is more diffused. The 6P/DX has a very hard hot-spot and the EDC-120T has a larger, softer hot-spot but compared to my Scout, the EDC-120T has much more of a hot-spot. Compared to the Scout, the light output seems to be about the same.

As far as LED color goes, the Scout seems to have a green/yellowish tinge compared to the EDC-120T and the EDC-120T looks a bit more yellowish than the 6P/DX. The 6P/DX is VERY much on the bluish end of the scale (say 6000K)...if I were to "guess" their Kelvin measurements, I would say it's 6000/5000/3900 for the 6P/DX, EDC-120T and Scout respectively. If you just use each one on it's own, it looks "white". You only really notice when you put them side by side. It's a hell of a lot better than the 1200K yellow/orange incandescent lights.

The finish is a grey hard anodize. I've been using this light daily and sometimes it gets into with the keys in my pocket and it hasn't had any scuffs on it. During the night training session we beat it up a little (dropped it, kicked it, threw it, etc.) and it still looks like it did when I got it. It's holding up better than the Krylon finish on my 6P.

Now moving onto the tailcap...personally, I really like the "T" model. The pre-programed lumens work out just fine. The button requires a decent push and I haven't had it accidentally turn on as of yet. I'm not a big fan of protected buttons because it makes it harder to operate fast (at least for me...) I haven't had a need to use my flashlights as a "torch" on a flat level piece of concrete so if it doesn't stand on end, that doesn't bother me. Here's a rundown of the operations:

Click - Turns on to Maximum

From the ON position:
    2 Clicks = 10 lumens
    3 Clicks = 0.3 lumens. Great for when you don't want to blow out your NV.
    2 Clicks (again) = Goes to back to which previous mode you were in (so if you go from max to 10 to 0.3, if you double click from the 0.3, it will go back up to 10...then another double click goes to max. If you go from max to 0.3, a double click will get you back to max.)
    Press while on = Momentary strobe (great for disorientating a suspect)
    Click then Press = Strobe
    Click = Off

From the OFF position:
    Press = Momentary Maximum
    Click then Press = Momentary Strobe

(a "click" is less than 1/3 second, a "press" is longer than 1/3 second)

So far, I haven't replaced the single battery that it came with. I have no idea if the battery was "brand new" or not but the light is still going strong.

Other features worth pointing out...it takes all the lens covers that fit the SF Scout. It also works with standard 1" weapon light mounts. Now if Novatac made an adapter that could allow me to use the Surefire SR07 pictatinny dual-switch, I would be very happy.

Overall, I think I have found the perfect "daily" light and travel light. When I travel, I do "real" traveling (I don't considering sitting on some beach getting skin cancer as "traveling"). I go cave exploring, diving, hiking, biking, rappelling, etc. and stay in some places that don't have electricity. Based my previous travels, I think this light will be my perfect go-to light. The multiple modes are great. This light has ALL the right combinations of every feature that I have been looking for in a light. Once these go on sale, I'm definitely going to buy a few...one for the car, one for the patrol bag and maybe one for one of my carbines.

Well that's about it. If you guys have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I'll try to get some night "beam" shots done...
    Last edited by recce556; 07-15-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added to title

Default Re: Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T

Thanks for the quick review.

Chris
    U2A--D10--Stanley HID

Flashaholic*

Best first post ever!
    thanks for the quick review and welcome to CPF!

Wow! great mini-review!

Now I just have to decide between 85 or 120 lumens... (is it worth the $40?).

Oh well, I think I found my edc!

am i right in thinking that if i get the 120 instead of the 85 i should get longer runtime at the 85 lm mark because it is one step below max?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumaman View Post
    Best first post ever!
    thanks for the quick review and welcome to CPF!
    +1
    WTB: Mac's Customs Tri-EDC (aluminum) in excellent condition & bored to accept an 18350.

Decent review; welcome to CPF; and thanks for your impressions!
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Thanks for taking the time to put up the great preview!
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

how did u manage to get this light before all of us

Quote Originally Posted by Russianesq View Post
    how did u manage to get this light before all of us
    He is in the army I assume. Novatac serve the army corporation first.

Thanks for taking the time. As you probably have noticed, most of us are pretty anxious for info. Your input is appreciated.

welcome and great post.
    "Never underestimate the love of a man for his dog"

Now THAT is the way to make an entrance! Welcome to CPF recce556, and thanks for the review. This will make the wait for my 120P a little more bearable.

And yes, if you get the chance, beamshots would be greatly appreciated, especially with another light to compare it against.

Default Re: Quick review - Novatak EDC-120T

Always buy into a light at the brightest possible level. You can always adjust the light to produce fewer lumens (in the programmable models). It is impossible to add lumens without surgery.

Just buy the 120 lumen model. Of course it is worth the extra $40. No question about it.
    Yaesumofo

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    Wow! great mini-review!

Now I just have to decide between 85 or 120 lumens... (is it worth the $40?).

Oh well, I think I found my edc!

Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Super Moderator

Extremely useful review - from the sharp end too, with the light getting the sort of tough use it was designed for and showing it can take it. Thanks Recce, and welcome to CPF - great first post.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the review!

How is the button - does it have some kind of feedback, comparable to surefire clickies?

Default Re: Quick review - Novatak EDC-120T

Quote Originally Posted by yaesumofo View Post
    Always buy into a light at the brightest possible level. You can always adjust the light to produce fewer lumens (in the programmable models). It is impossible to add lumens without surgery.

Just buy the 120 lumen model. Of course it is worth the extra $40. No question about it.
    Yaesumofo
    I couldn't agree more!! Go for the best--should you need the extra umph, ya got it, if not, just let 'er cruise! Skip the extra coffee for the next few weeks and save the $40 for something useful, you'll not regret it!

Karl

Enlightened

I also prefer to have a protruding button instead of sitting flush... I wonder if the tailcap will fit existing HDS lights (mine is already modded with a Seoul) and if Novatac will sell these separately...

Thank you the most excellent quick review!! That was a fantastic first post!! You made me even MORE excited about MY choice in pre-ordering a 120 T! THANK YOU!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Thanks for the review recce556 and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Talas View Post
    I also prefer to have a protruding button instead of sitting flush... I wonder if the tailcap will fit existing HDS lights (mine is already modded with a Seoul) and if Novatac will sell these separately...
    Unfortunatley the threads on the HDS's and the Novatac's are different. Novatac will be handling all future customer support for the HDS line so the potential is there for them to make a tactical tailcap for the HDS lights.
    Last edited by Oddjob; 07-07-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm actually not in the military but in LE.

As for the feedback on the click tailcap, it's a very short throw comapred to the Surefires (Scout, M962XM07 and Z49 tailcap on one of my 6P's). The feel is somewhat like a standard 6P momentary tailcap if you turn the tailcap so that it's about 1/2 turn from ON. However, the Novatac has a positive "click" feel and it takes just a bit more pressure to actually throw the switch. Also the Novatac's button is smaller so it's not as easy to accidentally turn on. plus you have to hit it more center than on the momentary 6P (where if you just catch an edge, it will activate). That's the best I can describe it.

For me, the extra lumens is more useful than a slightly longer runtime. As it is, with the lower power modes, if I need to conserve battery power, I would just kick it down to the next level.

Here are some photos of the unit broken down (at least as far as I'd take it):

Last edited by recce556; 07-08-2007 at 07:08 AM.

And here's a "tactical" photo of the EDC-120T.

(btw, these are my "civilian" guns...the issues ones are...well...let's just say they're not my "go to" guns for a SHTF situation.)
    Last edited by recce556; 07-08-2007 at 09:43 PM.

recce556,
    Did you happen to measure the dia. of the lens when you had the light apart? I could find a glass lens while waiting for my preorder to be filled.

Is it just me or does the lens look yellowish?

If it is, that's a bad sign of low grade plastic which usually yellow after some time or when exposed to heat and certain liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by x2x3x2 View Post
    Is it just me or does the lens look yellowish?

If it is, that's a bad sign of low grade plastic which usually yellow after some time or when exposed to heat and certain liquids.
    Or it's for tint correction....
    Nuwai ALX-352L - Gladius - Q3 - Arc-AAA P v4 - Glo-Toob FX - Jil 1.3 Up - L1P - L0P - Petzl Myo XP - PT EOS - E1L - Orb RAW NS - Fire~Fly 3 - VG FB1 - P1 - L4 - P1D-CE - L5 - KL3 - KL5 - KL4 - L2D-CE - L0D-CE - P2D-CE - L6 - L1-Cree - EDC120P - NiteCore EX10 + D20-R2

Nake, I just miked the lens and it's 0.886" in diameter and 0.075" thick. If you find a TEMPERED glass lens, let me know, I'll take one too!

The lens does have a slight tint of yellow to it. It's not as bad as the photo however. The only way you can really see the tint is to put it on something. Just looking through it, I don't notice any color. Now remember that this is a pre-production model so the final production may or may not have a tint.

recess556, how difficult it is to take the torch apart to replace the lens?

Quote Originally Posted by recce556 View Post
    Nake, I just miked the lens and it's 0.886" in diameter and 0.075" thick. If you find a TEMPERED glass lens, let me know, I'll take one too!
    That converts to 22.5mm and 1.9mm. wwwflashlightlens.com has 22.6mm and 22.8mm. The 22.8mm says that it is a replacement for the HDS EDC, I imagine pre Novatac. The 22.6mm is only 1.1mm thick. There are also some in closeout/specials. I can't find if they're tempered, but they are quality lenses. I've bought a number of them for different lights. Check to see if 22.8mm will fit, that's .898".

Flashaholic*

I imagine FLL will make a novatac drop in lens UCL available. It would be very popular!

I'm going to email Novatac about reconsidering gluing the bezel. Bezel mods are half the fun. And its cheaper and quicker to replace a scratched lens yourself then have to ship it back and forth to Novatac. Lets start a Petition!
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

recce556 - thanks for the great review and welcome to CPF. There's quite a few other LEO's here also. I think you've picked one of the really great tactical lights - possibly the best out there now.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Almine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast