Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T (Now with Beam Shots!)

recce556

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, new to forum here but I've used it for reference for a while now. I have been fortunate enough to get a Novatac EDC-120T for some T&E so I'll try to "give back" to the forum with this review (of sorts). The unit I have is a pre-production model. It looks the same as the production models on Novatac's website but lacks the two flats on the sides with the engraved text. It's just checkered all the around.

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge or facilities to do a "real" test of the light. I'm not a light expert by any stretch of the imagination. I can just explain it compared to my other lights.

First off, the unit is small. I've been carrying it around for about two weeks now it a great pocket light. I've also used it during a night shoot training session and it worked out great. We were shooting 50 yards and in with pistol and the EDC-120T worked well in both the Harries, Reverse Harries, Rodgers-Surefire and LAPD technique. Stationary and moving targets in addition to "hostage" style targets. We also shot some force on force using Simunitions and I really threw the guys for a loop when I hit them with the strobe mode and some practice flashbangs. :sick2:

As far as carrying the light, I generally wear "functional" pants so I usually have more than the standard amount of pockets. But even in jeans with the extra little pocket inside the right front pocket, I can fit the light my cell phone without any problems. Here's a size comparison to some other lights. Sorry for the crappy photo. I'm sure you guys are all familiar with the lights here though.

EDC120T-1.jpg

Now getting into brightness. Compared to one of my SF 6P's with the DX CREE upgrade, the EDC-120T seems to be a little brighter but the beam on the EDC-120T is more diffused. The 6P/DX has a very hard hot-spot and the EDC-120T has a larger, softer hot-spot but compared to my Scout, the EDC-120T has much more of a hot-spot. Compared to the Scout, the light output seems to be about the same.

As far as LED color goes, the Scout seems to have a green/yellowish tinge compared to the EDC-120T and the EDC-120T looks a bit more yellowish than the 6P/DX. The 6P/DX is VERY much on the bluish end of the scale (say 6000K)...if I were to "guess" their Kelvin measurements, I would say it's 6000/5000/3900 for the 6P/DX, EDC-120T and Scout respectively. If you just use each one on it's own, it looks "white". You only really notice when you put them side by side. It's a hell of a lot better than the 1200K yellow/orange incandescent lights. :candle:

The finish is a grey hard anodize. I've been using this light daily and sometimes it gets into with the keys in my pocket and it hasn't had any scuffs on it. During the night training session we beat it up a little (dropped it, kicked it, threw it, etc.) and it still looks like it did when I got it. It's holding up better than the Krylon finish on my 6P. :duh2:

Now moving onto the tailcap...personally, I really like the "T" model. The pre-programed lumens work out just fine. The button requires a decent push and I haven't had it accidentally turn on as of yet. I'm not a big fan of protected buttons because it makes it harder to operate fast (at least for me...) I haven't had a need to use my flashlights as a "torch" on a flat level piece of concrete so if it doesn't stand on end, that doesn't bother me. Here's a rundown of the operations:

Click - Turns on to Maximum

From the ON position:
2 Clicks = 10 lumens
3 Clicks = 0.3 lumens. Great for when you don't want to blow out your NV.
2 Clicks (again) = Goes to back to which previous mode you were in (so if you go from max to 10 to 0.3, if you double click from the 0.3, it will go back up to 10...then another double click goes to max. If you go from max to 0.3, a double click will get you back to max.)
Press while on = Momentary strobe (great for disorientating a suspect)
Click then Press = Strobe
Click = Off

From the OFF position:
Press = Momentary Maximum
Click then Press = Momentary Strobe

(a "click" is less than 1/3 second, a "press" is longer than 1/3 second)

So far, I haven't replaced the single battery that it came with. I have no idea if the battery was "brand new" or not but the light is still going strong.

Other features worth pointing out...it takes all the lens covers that fit the SF Scout. It also works with standard 1" weapon light mounts. Now if Novatac made an adapter that could allow me to use the Surefire SR07 pictatinny dual-switch, I would be very happy.

Overall, I think I have found the perfect "daily" light and travel light. When I travel, I do "real" traveling (I don't considering sitting on some beach getting skin cancer as "traveling"). I go cave exploring, diving, hiking, biking, rappelling, etc. and stay in some places that don't have electricity. Based my previous travels, I think this light will be my perfect go-to light. The multiple modes are great. This light has ALL the right combinations of every feature that I have been looking for in a light. Once these go on sale, I'm definitely going to buy a few...one for the car, one for the patrol bag and maybe one for one of my carbines.

Well that's about it. If you guys have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I'll try to get some night "beam" shots done...

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quick review - Novatac EDC-120T

Best first post ever!
thanks for the quick review and welcome to CPF!

gunga

Flashaholic

Wow! great mini-review!

Now I just have to decide between 85 or 120 lumens... (is it worth the $40?).

:shrug:

Oh well, I think I found my edc!

:thumbsup:

thermal guy

Flashaholic

am i right in thinking that if i get the 120 instead of the 85 i should get longer runtime at the 85 lm mark because it is one step below max?:thinking:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Decent review; welcome to CPF; and thanks for your impressions!

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for taking the time to put up the great preview!

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for taking the time. As you probably have noticed, most of us are pretty anxious for info. Your input is appreciated.:thumbsup:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now THAT is the way to make an entrance! Welcome to CPF recce556, and thanks for the review. This will make the wait for my 120P a little more bearable.

And yes, if you get the chance, beamshots would be greatly appreciated, especially with another light to compare it against.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quick review - Novatak EDC-120T

Always buy into a light at the brightest possible level. You can always adjust the light to produce fewer lumens (in the programmable models). It is impossible to add lumens without surgery.

Just buy the 120 lumen model. Of course it is worth the extra $40. No question about it.
Yaesumofo

Wow! great mini-review!

Now I just have to decide between 85 or 120 lumens... (is it worth the $40?).

:shrug:

Oh well, I think I found my edc!

:thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic

Extremely useful review - from the sharp end too, with the light getting the sort of tough use it was designed for and showing it can take it. Thanks Recce, and welcome to CPF - great first post.

BBL

Enlightened

Thanks for the review!

How is the button - does it have some kind of feedback, comparable to surefire clickies?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quick review - Novatak EDC-120T

Always buy into a light at the brightest possible level. You can always adjust the light to produce fewer lumens (in the programmable models). It is impossible to add lumens without surgery.

Just buy the 120 lumen model. Of course it is worth the extra $40. No question about it.
Yaesumofo

I couldn't agree more!! Go for the best--should you need the extra umph, ya got it, if not, just let 'er cruise! Skip the extra coffee for the next few weeks and save the $40 for something useful, you'll not regret it!

Karl

Talas

Newly Enlightened

I also prefer to have a protruding button instead of sitting flush... I wonder if the tailcap will fit existing HDS lights (mine is already modded with a Seoul) and if Novatac will sell these separately...

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you the most excellent quick review!! That was a fantastic first post!!:thumbsup: You made me even MORE excited about MY choice in pre-ordering a 120 T! THANK YOU!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review recce556 and welcome.

I also prefer to have a protruding button instead of sitting flush... I wonder if the tailcap will fit existing HDS lights (mine is already modded with a Seoul) and if Novatac will sell these separately...

Unfortunatley the threads on the HDS's and the Novatac's are different. Novatac will be handling all future customer support for the HDS line so the potential is there for them to make a tactical tailcap for the HDS lights.

Last edited: