Drop-ins heatsinking

o0o

Enlightened
How effective are the heat-sinking for drop-ins?

For example, my Bugout Gear Premium Plus drop ins have brass contacts as the apparent heat sink, but unlike lights built with the LED already in they doesn't appear to have any thermal paste.

Over the long run, is the brass contact expected to be enough to keep the emitter cool enough?

I'm guessing that this drop-in generates a lot of heat, because the output completely dominates my incandescent Surefire P90 lamp in my C3.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
How effective are the heat-sinking for drop-ins?

For example, my Bugout Gear Premium Plus drop ins have brass contacts as the apparent heat sink, but unlike lights built with the LED already in they doesn't appear to have any thermal paste.

Over the long run, is the brass contact expected to be enough to keep the emitter cool enough?

I'm guessing that this drop-in generates a lot of heat, because the output completely dominates my incandescent Surefire P90 lamp in my C3.

I would say that two brass contacts is not even close to enough heat sinking. Especially for drop-ins that have the LED running at a decent current. The only drop-ins thus far that actually take heat sinking into serious consideration are Gene malkoff's mods. You can view them from www.malkoffdevices.com or checkout some of his threads on CPF.

o0o

Enlightened
At least these drop-ins are easy to replace. Once output drops to where it doesn't wow anymore, one can just drop in a new one.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least these drop-ins are easy to replace. Once output drops to where it doesn't wow anymore, one can just drop in a new one.

If all those dropins have are two brass contacts. You will not even be able to run the light for that long. If you try to leave it on continuously, the LED will overheat and suddely burn out. The malkoff drop-ins for the maglites are extremely well heatsinked. I dont see a reason why they would ever burn out due to heat.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have one of the original BOG lux III's and I think the head sinking is ok. There is a good path to the body of my 6P and the body of my 6P does get warm. Quite possibly they have beefed up the headsinking, and the brass should help. BOG is good to work with and tests their drop ins before they ship.

Bill

o0o

Enlightened
I have one of the original BOG lux III's and I think the head sinking is ok. There is a good path to the body of my 6P and the body of my 6P does get warm. Quite possibly they have beefed up the headsinking, and the brass should help. BOG is good to work with and tests their drop ins before they ship.

Bill

I'm certainly happy with the BOG drop-ins.

The Premium Plus is incredible in output. I just question the heat sink, especially since mine are not getting that warm with use.