L0P --> L0D CE is it worth it?

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
I bought my father an L0P last year and loves it. He does however wish it had just a bit more light. I'm considering the L0D CE but am a bit put off by the multi-level thing. My guess is that most people want max output all the time and don't use the levels that much.

Is it worth upgrading, is there much difference in output?

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I have both and the LOD CE is noticeably brighter when both are using NiMH cells. It is dramatically brighter when using a 10440 LiIon. I would not recommend anyone not experienced with unprotected LiIons using them though. I use the levels all the time but I could do without the strobe and SOS modes. The LOD CE is my EDC and it is well worth the reasonable price IMHO.

Regards,
Mark

paulr

Flashaholic
There are varying opinions on the multi-twist L0D CE interface so that would have to be up to your dad. The brightness difference is pretty noticable if you compare the two lights side by side. Usually though when someone thinks a light isn't bright enough, they're not looking for a 1.5x or even 2x increase, they really want at least a 4x increase. So if your dad doesn't mind a slightly bigger light that runs on cr123a's, you might consider a P1CE (simple L0P-like 1-level twist interface) or P3D (even brighter, bigger light with multi-click multi-level interface).

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
L0D-CE appears to be an excellent light, but I haven't bought one yet. My Fenix E1s and L0P take care of all pocket duties more than adequately, and I carry the L1D/P2D-CE in the event I need more.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
I have both and the LOD CE is noticeably brighter when both are using NiMH cells. It is dramatically brighter when using a 10440 LiIon. I would not recommend anyone not experienced with unprotected LiIons using them though. I use the levels all the time but I could do without the strobe and SOS modes. The LOD CE is my EDC and it is well worth the reasonable price IMHO.

Regards,
Mark

I assume then that there is of yet no protected 10440s?

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct.

Regards,
Mark

Hey Mark. What the heck is this quote in your sig line? It looks like it should be funny, but I'm having trouble interpreting it.

tvman said:
eye got 2 latrines but thay kind of crappy but reel cheep. eye aint used stile treying find how get latrine brite. no arm crank make brite. not sure empty hole and fuond spengs figure fil hole.

Abouna. I had an LOP SE that I gave to my dad that I used to edc on my key chain. I loved the light as my dad does now. Anyway, I replaced it with an LOD CE natural finish which is noticeably brighter. I don't mind the sos and strobe, as I usually never see them unless I intentionally go to them. It's a great light and has taken its place as my key chain edc. IMHO it's the best AAA key chain light available. I also carry a P3D and P2D in their respective holsters on my belt loop just in case I need more light.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Abouna. I had an LOP SE that I gave to my dad that I used to edc on my key chain. I loved the light as my dad does now. Anyway, I replaced it with an LOD CE natural finish which is noticeably brighter. I don't mind the sos and strobe, as I usually never see them unless I intentionally go to them. It's a great light and has taken its place as my key chain edc. IMHO it's the best AAA key chain light available. I also carry a P3D and P2D in their respective holsters on my belt loop just in case I need more light.

Well, I'm pretty sold now. Sounds like it might be a replacement for my P1 actually!

Of course, i intended this for his b-day which isn't until September. By then something will have replaced it.

JetskiMark

Enlightened
I don't want to stray from the topic but my sig is just a silly post from this thread. My head feels like it is going to explode everytime I read it.

Back on topic. LOP --> LOD CE is it worth it? Yes it is. Actually, I should order another one. It has been several hours since I bought a new light. Seriously.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
I had (still have) a LOP. I upgraded to a LOD-CE. I couldn't be happier. My only complaints with the LOP was that it could be brighter. The LOD-CE is 2X as bright with the same runtime. The extra modes don't bother me much. I actually use the medium mode at work often. If he liked the LOP he will LOVE the LOD-CE!!!!:thumbsup:

h_nu

Enlightened
I have both versions and like the previous posters think the L0D CE is worth the upgrade. I also got the special Q2 emitter upgrade in addition to the standard L0D CE. The premium for the supposedly better emitter was not worth it. Go for the standard L0D CE and you will be happy.