Whats the difference between Cree, SSC, Edison?

Donovan

Enlightened
I know, kind of a dumb question but I am a bit confused about the companies of these newer High flux LED's!

For example the Cree P4 and the SSC P4. Are they completely different LED's or similar LED's from different companies? Same die just different domes? Same technology or completely different? Are they two completely different companies, two different companies with a technology partnership or different divisions of the same company?

I read about how SSC works better with reflectors and Cree works better with optics due to viewing angles and about how the SSC has a gummy soft dome etc. but I don't know the specifics of the companies and technologies...

A little "enlightenment" would be much appreciated! lol

Last edited:

Donovan

Enlightened
Some more questions about this topic:

Cree:
Cree's website says they are headquartered in Durham, NC but I thought they were Taiwanese? (or is that just where the XR-E is manufactured?)

SSC:
Seoul Semiconductor is Korean but they share technology (die?) with Cree?

Edison:
Edison LED's are from Edison Opto in Taiwan correct? Does Edison share any technology with either Cree or SSC?

Phillips Lumileds:
Where does the old Luxeon fit in all this?

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:confused: .. I very much agree .

And the sellers do NOT provide enough precise information about each product and the parts used within it.

Every sales pitch I read leaves me confused and multiple questions pop into my head immediately - which were not explained in the presentation.

There is too much chaos involved with this hobby now.

Not enough of our members demand clarification and precise details. And too many sellers are withholding vital information for months acting like they are too busy to investigate what they already know . ( They just don't want YOU to know )

Our members are too willing to send payment before the item is even explained ....... and they are WASTING a lot of their money.

These NON-responsive sellers are dragging their feet , lining their pockets , and getting away with too much !

WHEN is it gonna STOP . ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cree, Seoul and Edison all use the same EZ1000 die in their latest LEDs.

Cree has a narrow emitting range due to the metal ring and requires a special reflector or optic to focus correctly. They use a ceramic board and the LED can be surface mounted or soldered. it has a glass outer dome and will maintains it's tint better at a higher drive current.

Seoul has a positive slug and has a similar emitting pattern to the Luxeon. It'll need a 0.030 Inch lift to focus correctly in a Luxeon reflector. It has a dust attracting gummy dome and the phosphor is sensitive to tempreature change.

The Edison is a direct replacement to the Luxeon but it will create a yellow ring around the hot-spot if used with a reflector. It's also the cheepest of the bunch.

That's all I can think of right now.

lamperich

Enlightened
Seoul has a ....and the phosphor is sensitive to tempreature change.

and is not stable over lifetime!
that´s like a t-KO in the first round in boxing.
of course not so much important for torch freaks...

wintermute

Enlightened
and is not stable over lifetime!
that´s like a t-KO in the first round in boxing.
of course not so much important for torch freaks...
Can you provide a documented resource for this information?

Personally, I think Cree is a superior product - but SSC has it's place too. And I hear people saying things like this and I just want to see the proof. If it's just something you think...that's fine - but you are presenting it as fact.

There is word that the phosphor is sensitive to temperature changes - and will yell at you through an angry blue scream if not heatsinked properly :scowl: - but I haven't been able to find any information that supports that it is not stable over it's lifetime.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's personal preference. I had 2 SSC P4 turn angry blue from being overdriven compared under the same set-up using a Cree or an Edison Opto the lights performed very well and much brighter.
1- Edison Opto does have a yellow corona which most people dislike, but with a correct reflector it is minimal and super bright. It is my favorite since I have had no problems with thermal or being overdriven. My brightest mod right now is with a Edison Opto direct driven by a LG 3.7v 2600 mAh battery. 4 flashlights modded with Edison Opto.
2- Cree does have a ringy beam, but OP reflectors have solved most of that problem and these also don't have the thermal and overdriven issues. 3 flashlights modded with Cree.
SSC P4 does have their place and most people prefer them since they do have good beam quality and they are brighter than Luxeon III.
Can you provide a documented resource for this information?

Personally, I think Cree is a superior product - but SSC has it's place too. And I hear people saying things like this and I just want to see the proof. If it's just something you think...that's fine - but you are presenting it as fact.

There is word that the phosphor is sensitive to temperature changes - and will yell at you through an angry blue scream if not heatsinked properly :scowl: - but I haven't been able to find any information that supports that it is not stable over it's lifetime.

wintermute

Enlightened
I did find somewhat of an answer to my own question:
From SSC P4 datasheet from a while back: "the chromaticity coordinate of the LEDs can shift approximately x = 0.02, y = 0.03 in the direction of blue 1000 hours later." - that does tell me that there is some issue there. Not sure if this has been changed since I can't find this in the new datasheets...so who knows, maybe it has been fixed somewhat.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Experimenting with a Edison Opto running direct drive with a LG 3.7v 2600mAh battery fully charged at 4.2v is pushing the LED at 1400ma. I ran it straight for 2 hours 30 minutes with it still being bright. I am not sure of the lumens, but this puppy ROCKS!!! Plus it's a 2 stage light.