2x123 cree module equivalent?

knot

Banned
I lost my Cree module flashlight I was completely happy with the amount of light it produced using 2x123 lithium batteries. Unfortunately, it was too big to be an EDC so I either set it down or it fell out of my jacket pocket because it was too big to put into my pants pocket - most likely the later.

I'm wondering if there's an inexpensive light, like the modified P4 Coast focusing Lenser, that would be near it's equivalent or if anyone knows of a small form factor that can produce the quality and quantity of light the Cree module does.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How about Fenix CE series. If you don't mind multiple modes, the the Fenix P2D-CE, L1D-CE or P3D-CE with the OP reflector might work for you(fenix store has a 8% off coupon, CPF8).

Choices from Dealextreme(none have a froward clickie):

1 CR123/RCR123/16340(these are probably a bit dimmer then the Drop-in):
Ultrafire HA Cree, MX Power 3W SSC(Side Clickie!), Ultrafire 602D, Gree-Cree, Ultrafire C1, Ultrafire C5

AA,(Much dimmer but definitely pocket-able):
MTE Seoul, Ultrafire C3(also works with 14500 battery), Ultrafire WF-606A(2AA/CR2), Dexlight X.1.(many modes, runs on 14500 batteries)

knot

Banned
I have the Ultrafire Cree XR-E WF-602D on the way but unless there is some sort of voltage boost circuit, three volts does not equal six volts - or is the module running at 3.6 regulated?

I'm looking for an equivalent brightness but small form (or is there no substitute for voltage?): accepted voltage: 3.6V ~ 9.0V@900mAh that the Cree module runs at.

*********edit** are you saying the Fenix line is just as powerful as the cree module? Never mind, I'm just confusing myself. I think I need a 2x123 with a small head rather than a large "turbo" head. Even though this is ugly, it would probably be what I want: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4582 but I don't understand that it's under Cree lights but so cheap.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dealextreme light you have linked has a generic LED and is probably much dimmer then the Cree drop-in you had.

According to this thread, the Fenix L2D-CE gives 800-900 mA to the LED on turbo. I'd presume the P3D-CE on turbo provides more power, the P3D-CE runs on batteries between 3.7-8.4v. I've read somewhere that the Dealextreme Drop-in only provides 600-800 mA to the LED.

I think all the Dealextreme lights I have listed have a boost circuit, I'm not sure though. I know all the single AA lights have them.

Latest posts