Battery explosion with Fenix P1D

SoSa

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday during testing runtime my P1D went "Big Bang".

It was a really big explosion, the treading was not able to withstand internal pressure and the P1D went off, one piece banging my head, rocketing off into a concrete wall leaving marks both on my head and on wall.

Surprisingly the explosion left little impact on the P1D itself, it still works as advertised. The thread is a little loose, but with some tape applied to it works; the bezel has been dented a little bit, and the battery holder is also off a bit.
The often criticized HA was scratched a bit, but surprisingly not much considering all things.

Here are a few pictures:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/614/fenix6om5.jpg

Battery

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/4115/fenix1xn0.jpg
Front

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3230/fenix5gd0.jpg
Battery holder

Sorry I have no pictures of my head. ;)

Over sized images replaced with links.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fenix P1D after battery explosion

:sigh: What brand was the CR123 battery?

cliff

Newly Enlightened

I can understand how a light with two batteries might explode, but how does this happen with a single battery light?

fluke

Enlightened

Hmm.
I'm only using Panasonics and known brands from now on.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was was a cheap chinese with a "PW Powerstation" label on it.
It is on sale in Europe by several vendors through the Internet.

I would stay away from these cheap batteries. You can get quality batteries from US at reasonable prices.
I got my energizers from fenix-store for $1.75/battery including shipping. Not the cheapest, but compared to EU prices (and the dollar is weak), it's pretty cheap.

How much did you pay for these chinese batteries?

fluke

Enlightened

I just got 12 Panasonics from Hong Kong For $18.99 Shipped and Insured.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks fluke, I'll check that store.

Well, SoSa I am glad nothing that bad happened and you are OK.
It's another reason for me to buy only known brands of batteries (especially in 2 cell flashlights).

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry to hear this SoSa:oops:

Depending on the circumstances, such a disaster can happen with all brands of batteries.
Certainly the building quality of more costly batts. are better, but depending on the elapsed time, temperature and discharging load (over discharging), it can happen.

Fortunately it's rare, but it can be.

How long did it last, until it happens and at which brightness-setting was the light (if it is not the 1-stage LuxIII version)?

Best regards

____
Tom

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sosa, you are a really lucky fellow, you did not even lose your Fenix (nor your head). Congratulations !!!:)

:twothumbs

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Yikes! Glad you are alright. Was the light hot from the runtime testing? I bet you won't be doing those tests again soon.

Geoff

SoSa

Newly Enlightened

The Battery is still on sale and the price is Euro 1,39 which is USD 1.89. I would not call that cheap.(At least not in the US)

You know, the most interesting thing is it happened without warning. The battery was in the flashlight for a couple of months now. I did not use this light much (short nights, and my latest purchase is a Lumapower). Yesterday night I took the P1D for a walk and was a bit shocked that the battery is almost dead. Returning home i put in on a desk and switched on to see how much juice was left in it. After a few minutes the light started flickering. It was not hot at all.

I leaned over it to see what is going on, and this was when he battery exploded. The light jumped off the desk, and piece of it hit my head. Interestingly the battery was left on the desk hissing and sparkling. Actually it burnt a hole into the tablecloth and left a mark in the wood itself.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

Ouch - but by the sound of it, it could have been a great deal worse. It will serve as another compelling reason not to buy El Cheapo junk cells. A warning needs to be circulated about these particular ones.

How long into the run-time test was it? And did you leave the light tailstanding while it was running, or were you holding it? Did you notice anything unusual just before it blew?

I think this thread probably belongs in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" forum.

Edit: you have just answered my questions while I was writing my post - thanks.

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing this up. So the battery was overdischarged and started venting.

It's absolutely important to determine the usage of these cells by ascertainment a reduced output and not completly draining the batts.

Best regards

____
Tom

SoSa

Newly Enlightened

I must admit, the cause could have been overdischarge due to faulty battery. ( I did not think it is empty)

It is a P1D CE and was on primary.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the warning, I have run down cells very low in my P1D-CE before, to the point where the light flickered a little, although the cells were still fine when I dumped them. Now I will dispose of them when they dim and not use them deliberately after that.

I'm using some mitsubishi "black diamond" cells that I got on ebay quite cheaply right now. Only observation is the light likes to get very warm right at the end of the discharge curve before it suddenly gets very dim.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very important: READ: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124776

And this quoted from: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114455

IMHO, there are quite a few rather ignorant folks who like to pretend to be experts. If you really don't know what you are talking about, you shouldn't say something is safe when it truely is not. I'm not an expert either, but I do have the skills to read...

Duracell 123A nasties:
Thermal degradation may produce hazardous fumes
of manganese and lithium;
hydrofluoric acid;
oxides of carbon and sulfur
and other toxic by-products.

Notes to Physician
1) Potential leakage of dimethoxyethane, propylene carbonate and lithium trifluoromethane sulfonate.
http://www.duracell.com/oem/safety/pdf/2003_9.pdf

(Hydrofluoric Acid is definitely not something one should even think about messing around with.)

(Alot of these byproducts are just as nasty as what comes out of a Li-Ion rechargable cell.)

Energizer's take on things:
Under normal conditions of use, the battery is hermetically sealed.

Ingestion: Swallowing a battery can be harmful.
Contents of an open battery can cause serious chemical burns of mouth, esophagus, and gastrointestinal tract.
If battery or open battery is ingested, do not induce vomiting or give food or drink. Seek medical attention immediately.
CALL NATIONAL BATTERY INGESTION HOTLINE for advice and follow-up (202-625-3333) collect, day or night.

Inhalation: Contents of an open battery can cause respiratory irritation. Provide fresh air and seek medical attention.

Skin Absorption: Dimethoxyethane, dioxolane, and lithium trifluoromethanesulfonate may be absorbed through the skin, causing
localized inflammation.

Skin Contact: Contents of an open battery can cause skin irritation and/or chemical burns. Remove contaminated clothing and
wash skin with soap and water. If a chemical burn occurs or if irritation persists, seek medical attention.

Eye Contact: Contents of an open battery can cause severe irritation and chemical burns. Immediately flush eyes thoroughly with
water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower lids, until no evidence of the chemical remains. Seek medical attention.

Note: Carbon black is listed as a possible carcinogen by International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiummangdioxide_psds.pdf

Please don't pretend to be an expert when you are not, and pass supposedly "informed" opinions.

(P.S.- I'm not an expert on batteries either, but I can read...)

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheap unknown batteries are alot more likely to explode.

for they have LOUSY QC

and the process in making them is not "perfect"

their safety features may not work at all.