The Beast

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone ever see this? i was in my local victorinox store and they had this huge caveman club. it's made by surefire and i'm pretty sure it was an hid by the way it 'warmed up'. i think the saleman said 2000 lumens? i was thinking in my head that you could buy a sam's hid or n30 for alot cheaper. it would definitely make a really nice shelf queen.
pretty cool but not worth the 4g+ in price.:shakehead

Mad1

Enlightened
Yeh I've seen them before. One of two CPF members are lucky to own these.

I think it takes 20 CR123 batteries but there is a rechargable option.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
It is a 35W HID, yes.
Driven by either 20 x CR123 or a Li-Ion pack that can be charged in the transport case of the light.

The Beast is brutally tough and the current generation features 10 x 5mm LEDs for a low power mode, too.

It isn't optimized for throw though, like most Surefires it is more like a medium flood.

I had the chance to play with one once ... very impressing. Not for the brightness, you can have that for way cheaper. But for all the rest.

bernie

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone ever see this? i was in my local victorinox store and they had this huge caveman club. it's made by surefire and i'm pretty sure it was an hid by the way it 'warmed up'. i think the saleman said 2000 lumens? i was thinking in my head that you could buy a sam's hid or n30 for alot cheaper. it would definitely make a really nice shelf queen.
pretty cool but not worth the 4g+ in price.:shakehead

wow, you must have not been here for long.

the Beast was designed to be the opposite of shelf-queens, in that it can withstand huge amount of abuse and impact. If one can afford it the price is well worth it. The Sam's or the N30 were not designed to survive multiple drops and hard impacts, this thing is.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, you must have not been here for long.

the Beast was designed to be the opposite of shelf-queens, in that it can withstand huge amount of abuse and impact. If one can afford it the price is well worth it. The Sam's or the N30 were not designed to survive multiple drops and hard impacts, this thing is.

my impression was that hid's werent good for banging around? so the bulb would be good if dropped?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
my impression was that hid's werent good for banging around? so the bulb would be good if dropped?

I was told that the Beast was designed to be banged around hence the tank-like construction and huge shock-absorbing parts. I remember someone mentioning that during last year's SHOT show PF personally chucked the Beast as hard into the air as he could and nothing happened after the light landed. .

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
In my eyes, a Surefire Beast is like a Louis Vuitton purse.

Regular, maybe high quality purse.. $50-100 MAX (I have a GF to deal with)

a Louis Vuitton purse: $1000+

In real life, who performs better? Sometimes the non Louis Vuitton one.

The people that shell out $1000+ isnt getting that much "better" of a product, but rather the name, and those who are hooked by the fashion industry. A regular 18 year old teenager doesn't NEED a Louis Vuitton purse. None of her friends will rate her in magazines. Average joe doesnt need a light that he can beat michael jackson to hell and back without it flickering. But maybe paris hilton needs something for the cameras. Maybe the firefighters needs something tough. (I still think they should shop our tax dollars wisely. There's always an alternative thats cheaper and maybe up to the par of performance that they need without overkill)

Sure, surefire has some great lights, but the beast IMO is their first attempt at adding a ridiculous pricetag to something that i cant quite see that would justify it over say.. a BarnBurner.

Louis Vuitton had to start somewhere, and did make great quality products that is worth it's pricetag, but somewhere along the lines they tried to see if consumers would pay more than what it's worth, and their experiment proved to be a success.

Ever heard that when apple was founded, the reason they survived was because of the partnership between Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak? Without the other, Apple never would have been. Steve Wozniak, the "tech" wiz. Steve Jobs, the "marketing" genius/god.

Marketing. Doesn't Surefire have a large and impressive marketing and PR department?

Those who are sound enthusiasts, i wont even bother, but i'll just say one word. "Bose" [SIZE=-1](Buy Other Sound Equipment)
Sorry about the rant, but heres an article on bose. I wont bother finding any ones on Louis Vuitton. http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html#more
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
that was deep.

you forgot to rip on them for the batteries.

:rolleyes:

No one is forcing you to buy the Beast. I find all the hostility puzzling.

The people that shell out $1000+ isnt getting that much "better" of a product, but rather the name, and those who are hooked by the fashion industry. A regular 18 year old teenager doesn't NEED a Louis Vuitton purse. None of her friends will rate her in magazines. Average joe doesnt need a light that he can beat michael jackson to hell and back without it flickering. But maybe paris hilton needs something for the cameras. Maybe the firefighters needs something tough. (I still think they should shop our tax dollars wisely. There's always an alternative thats cheaper and maybe up to the par of performance that they need without overkill)

Sure, surefire has some great lights, but the beast IMO is their first attempt at adding a ridiculous pricetag to something that i cant quite see that would justify it over say.. a BarnBurner.

Louis Vuitton had to start somewhere, and did make great quality products that is worth it's pricetag, but somewhere along the lines they tried to see if consumers would pay more than what it's worth, and their experiment proved to be a success.

Ever heard that when apple was founded, the reason they survived was because of the partnership between Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak? Without the other, Apple never would have been. Steve Wozniak, the "tech" wiz. Steve Jobs, the "marketing" genius/god.

Marketing. Doesn't Surefire have a large and impressive marketing and PR department?

Those who are sound enthusiasts, i wont even bother, but i'll just say one word. "Bose" [SIZE=-1](Buy Other Sound Equipment)
Sorry about the rant, but heres an article on bose. I wont bother finding any ones on Louis Vuitton. http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html#more
[/SIZE]

Last edited:

smurf_boi

Newly Enlightened
Sooooo,does anyone own the New Beast(aka. Beast Rechargeable) yet?:p would like to know more details about it

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is one on EBAY right now
M-beast-1.jpg

FredM

Enlightened

I dunno man. BOSE is actually crappier than other high quality gear, and the LV purse is similar quality just with a tag.
This sucker is actually way better. Its a niche market but its awesome and has huge advantages.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Those who are sound enthusiasts, i wont even bother, but i'll just say one word. "Bose" [SIZE=-1](Buy Other Sound Equipment) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sorry about the rant, but heres an article on bose. I wont bother finding any ones on Louis Vuitton. http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html#more[/SIZE]