Just Got My Spyderco UK Pen Knife

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Today, I received the Spyderco UK model Pen Knife that I recently ordered from Lighthound. As with all my purchases from Lighthound, it was fast, well packed, and much cheaper than I could have bought it here in the UK.

The knife itself will be as an 'off duty' option to my Spyderco Military plain edge, that is my constant companion at work, and something that I have come to rely on in my job.

The new knife - the UK, was bought for it's main design features - it's a non locking knife, with a blade just under 3 inches total length, and so technically legal to carry everyday here in gun crime troubled Great Britain.

I have not carried an EDC knife for a while, as I really only use Spyderco, and even my little CX01 would be illegal, as the blade locks. I have swiss army knives, but prefer a simple 'knife's knife' when there's cutting to be done.

The UK model is well made, and very well finished, the lines of the G10 grip are finished to blend with the choil in the blade when open or closed. I like the serrations on the rear of the blade hump, less aggressive than on the military, but usefully sharp. The lock is, in my opinion, adequately strong for a non locking knife, and although this means the knife has more 'drag' when being thumbed open, it is still a smooth operation.

I'm not sure whether I like the wire pocket clip yet, as it is the other way round from the Military, so I keep pulling the knife out of my pocket the wrong way round, and it seems a little flimsy, but time will tell.

Worth the money? Yes, if you need a non-locking knife, but buy from Lighthound, rather than in the UK.:thumbsup:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any pictures - I've been on the look out for a UK legal EDC for a while. My favourate so far has been the Falkniven U1 but this sounds interesting.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice looking spyderco. I like the steel backstrap and the screws. I'll bet the force to close it is considerable. I've had lockback knives get old on me and the lock function could be defeated fairly easily. I suspect you could make a very strong non-locking knife if people were willing to expend some effort to close it. Don't care for the wire clip, I like the flat sheet metal version. The wire might be a little easier on your pants though. Hope they have them at the next gun show I go to.

carrot

Flashaholic
NA8, Spyderco's first attempt at a slipjoint (the UKPK) is incredible and certainly a thoughtful design -- while I have not handled many slippies besides the SAKs, it seems to me that the design is much improved over the traditional one.

First, the backspring keeps the knife closed, like on a traditional slipjoint, but it easy to overcome with your thumb. Then, when the knife is open, it clicks into place in a similar fashion to a lockback, and when you close it, there is a detent that stops it at about 90º to prevent it from closing on your fingers without warning. Also, the detent aids in one-handed closing. Additionally, with the index finger in the choil (the part between the scales and the kick), the UKPK cannot close by accident on your fingers. In fact, as long as you grip it reasonably well, there is no way it will close on your fingers. It may "unlock," but it won't swing down all the way.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep meaning to buy one of those, I love my S.A.K soldier, but that Spyderco looks sweet...and legal!

Excellent price at "the Hounds" place as well...under £50 with shipping. :thumbsup:

CFU

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I wouldnt mind trying a Fallkniven U1 but it's got a UK price tag of £85 It's a bit more low profile than the UKPN, so maybe a bit more sociably acceptable.
With the greatest respect... Socially acceptable - my ***!

If anyone sees me using a knife in public, it's probably an emergency, or at least an important task, so social acceptability is not high on my list. It's less than 3", it doesn't lock, so it's legal!

There are situations where I wouldn't carry any knife, like in a nightclub, or an evening at a bar, but everyday, I have no moral questions about carrying a useful small knife (I have a couple of Spyderco 'experimentals from years ago, they have blades only about 2" long, but they lock.....).

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
The UK Spyderco is seriously sweet - I'd like a slightly smaller one in a locking version - but I won't get started on my personal preferences (I realise it doesn't lock for a reason!)...

When I lived in the UK, I was taking a trip on the Eurostar and still had my Spyderco with me (I'd come straight from work) - I nearly had it confiscated - the problem was obviously that it looked "mean". My Leatherman Charge wasn't questioned (with a 3" locking blade it would be illegal), but appearance was clearly the problem for the Spyderco. I told them it was specifically designed for the UK - they examined it but unfortunately "UK Model" is not written on the knife. The only reason I still have it was that I mentioned I'd come straight from work where I'd been using it - they said that as it was a work knife, they couldn't really confiscate it.

My point being that legal doesn't necessarily mean trouble free! :thinking:

Just a comment!

Rod..

Mad1

Enlightened
The UK Spyderco is seriously sweet - I'd like a slightly smaller one in a locking version - but I won't get started on my personal preferences (I realise it doesn't lock for a reason!)...

When I lived in the UK, I was taking a trip on the Eurostar and still had my Spyderco with me (I'd come straight from work) - I nearly had it confiscated - the problem was obviously that it looked "mean". My Leatherman Charge wasn't questioned (with a 3" locking blade it would be illegal), but appearance was clearly the problem for the Spyderco. I told them it was specifically designed for the UK - they examined it but unfortunately "UK Model" is not written on the knife. The only reason I still have it was that I mentioned I'd come straight from work where I'd been using it - they said that as it was a work knife, they couldn't really confiscate it.

My point being that legal doesn't necessarily mean trouble free! :thinking:

Just a comment!

Rod..

Thats what I mean by sociably acceptable.

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
Thats what I mean by sociably acceptable.
Yeah... s'pose I was just trying to give an example - not that I actually said that's what I was doing :sssh: - it's a pity so many cool looking knives have the "socially acceptable" problem :sigh:

Hans

Enlightened
When I lived in the UK, I was taking a trip on the Eurostar and still had my Spyderco with me (I'd come straight from work) - I nearly had it confiscated - the problem was obviously that it looked "mean". <snip>

My point being that legal doesn't necessarily mean trouble free!

Yep, it looks mean to the sheeple (policemen included). I think it would be far more acceptable if it had a coloured handle. Red is probably the ideal colour, as it reminds people of SAKs, but any colour would do.

My main EDC is a Spyderco Calapso Jr., and I've got several of them with black, gray and dark red handles. The ones with the black handle get many more adverse comments even though the bladeshape is identical.

Hans

Dr_Lumen

Newly Enlightened
My main EDC is a Spyderco Calapso Jr., and I've got several of them with black, gray and dark red handles. The ones with the black handle get many more adverse comments even though the bladeshape is identical.

Hans

Good point - I've never really thought about colour. I often carry a "pretty" custom knife for this reason though - you obviously couldn't hurt anybody with a pearl handled knife nearly as much as you could with a black handled knife! :crazy:

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
The wire clip on the UKPK is robust and gives a more discreet low profile carry that the pressed steel versions.

The ergonomics are my favorite of all the spydies that I own and have carried daily for the last 10 years.

It gives surprisingly little away to the lockback designs - so much so that i've never felt the urge to buy the Caly 3 and in fact the UKPK is my favorite EDC even during regular visits to the USA where there aren't the same restrictions on carrying a locking knife.

It's a fine piece of work, I hope you enjoy it :)