Post your flashlight glow-mod pics:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems like an appropriate first thread for this forum.

If you made a GID flashlight mod, or own one that someone else did, go ahead and post pics here. Flashlight names, specs would be useful, as well as technique used. Non-modded manufacturer flashlights w/glow pics are welcome, too, if you think they're cool.

Some photo taking tips would be helpful so the rest of us can learn how to take better glow pics. If you have a good technique, please share.

Here's my favorite light, a stock green LED inova X1:
x1red.jpg

It was painted with stinky bright red glow powder and clear nail polish. It glows brightly for a few seconds then quickly fades. Taking the pic was tricky because I wanted it to be bright, but I had to let go of the flashlight and place it properly before shooting. I had to do it really quickly to get the best glow.

The reason for using red glow with this light: Green LED only charges red glow paint. Red LED also charges red glow paint, so I'm looking forward to doing this with a red LED, too.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
inovas21.jpg

A bunch of Inova X1s. That took a lot of time!! I like the reflection of the glow on the white laminate.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
sl4aa003.jpg

Streamlight Propolymer 4AA.
Here you can see I crudely painted some GID around the base of the reflector. Mostly visible from the side because the reflecor focuses on the LED die only.
sl4aa001.jpg

OhMyGosh

Newly Enlightened
Glowmag2.jpg
Glowmag1.jpg

This is GID vinyl sheeting. Easy to cut to shape. The adhesive is not great so cleaned it off and used Gorilla glue.

luigi

Enlightened
Greenlight if you don't mind I have a question: In your X1 mods where exactly do you apply the GITD powder and what do you use to fix it? I understand that you turn on the light use it for a while and then it glows so I guess the GITD powder is all around the flashlight body is that right or not even close?

Luigi

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to open the flashlight ala 'freeze and pop'. Then I painted the brass housing that is the inside of the bezel.

In the group photo you can see one lonely v.2 that has a drop of glow at the base of the reflector.

For these I had used glow powder and clear nail polish. They can be mixed in the bottle or the glow powder can be sprinkled over the applied adhesive.

Epoxy should be more durable and resistant to solvents.

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened
Heya Greenlight, did you ever post a tutorial or a walkthrough on how to do that?

Specifically, how you did the freeze-pop method for getting the bezel off. I have an X1 that I think I want to try that with.

:D

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's another. It's my Gerber FIRECRACKER which I like a lot. You can see how some of the anodizing has rubbed off the bezel of the light. This one needs some special coating!! Anyway, it's a great light, something like the SUREFIRE L1, with brightness level between lo and hi. On one AA battery, you get good runtime and significant throw from the fancy optic. Plus it looks good with glow paint!:

gerber-led--firecracker-glo.jpg

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Lux. Jr.: This is one of the original ones, before they were improved with longer runtime.
streamlight-luxeon-jr-glow-.jpg

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened
Sick dude, sick. :D

BTW, how much powder do you need for one x1 modification?
I was thinking about getting 1 ounce of green and maybe an ounce of blue... but I have no idea how many lights that would treat?

Ideas?

greenLED

Flashaholic
From the GITD projects thread.
However I get an error trying to load the page. Another CPF thread bites the dust. :(
Sorry to break the news, but it's just you. :nana: The link's working just fine on my end.

Let's see...

Here's a LuxI (CMG Infinity Lux I mod by koala) that I made for my brother:

luxiglow2mm.jpg

I got plenty of others, but I'll post them later.

Last edited:

Pistolero

Enlightened

Awesome work there. I can see how you made the "emitter GITD ring", but how did you make the one on the bezel? It looks like a ring between the lens and the bezel. Is it removable? Or is the lens and ring permanently attached now?

I've never worked with epoxy and am really curious how it works.

cryhavok

Enlightened
i try to make all the flashlights I open up glow :D

KL1 and KL3
IMG_0011-7.jpg

IMG_0012-5.jpg

aspheric lens mag

IMG_0024-2.jpg

IMG_0021-1.jpg

IMG_0020-1.jpg

IMG_0017-4.jpg

IMG_0009-5.jpg

KL1
IMG_0007-6.jpg

compared to 3x23mm tritium tube
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022-1.jpg

IMG_0023-1.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a 2AA magLED glow mod:
magglow001.jpg

I was a little sloppy with the application, and you can see how some glow powder has entered the bezel area. Not a big deal.
magglow.jpg

Last edited: