Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wrist watches

Default Re: Wrist watches

I win.

I wear a genuine wind-up watch.

Flashaholic*

Well..... As Rocky Balboa said ...... "If you wanna have a good time.... You have to have a good watch!"

I'm trying to have a good time .........

- 4 Rolex
    - 5 Omegas Seamasters
    - 4 Tags
    - 1 Brietling
    - 1 Tissot
    - 6 Hamilton
    - 1 Tiffany
    - 1 IWC

About 40 other misc. Seiko, Citizen, Casio, Oakley, Swatch, Timex and others.

I'm not calling this a collection by any means. Collectors have much better watches than I do. I just really enjoy watches.... Such a great example of precise form and function.... The ultimate artform!

I'll often leave for a trip without a watch just so I'll need to get one during my travels. Than the watch automatically has a story and sentimental value. I bought a Timex in Prague, My first TAG in the Caribbean, Omega Seamaster in Hawaii, Tissot in Bermuda, Seiko in Japan, Breitling in Los Angeles, Hamilton in Hong Kong.

frisco

Rolex Sea-Dweller 99% of the time, Luminox the other 1% (HALO & mountain biking).

Flashaholic*

I have worn a watch as long as I can remember. I've gone through some collecting phases but it is an expensive hobby (makes flashlights and pens seem quite cheap, even at the McGizmo level) even if you shoot for the middle or lower end. I now have only 4 watches (which some would still say is overkill) but they cover all my bases really.

I know a few folks who don't, and really notice a lot of the younger folks joining the firm right out of graduate programs often don't wear a watch. There is a generational thing that seems to be trending away from them.

But I agree that for me at least, a watch is about more than telling time, it is a connection to a different era and something of a statement about myself, much like my antiquated fountain pens!

I'd love to have a Lange 1,

or on a lesser level a JLC Reverso Duo,

but neither of those is likely to happen due to their cost. I suppose my real target watch that I might one day own would be an Omega Speedmaster Pro or the very cool Seiko Flightmaster auto chrono,

but for now I have my sights on a Seiko 6R15 "Sumo" dive watch (aka baby Marinemaster).

Last edited by Gatsby; 10-10-2007 at 05:58 AM. Reason: To add:

*Flashaholic*

I own quite a few watches, including a Seiko memory watch from the early 1980s. I prefer digitals. Even though I own many watches I only wear one when I'm going out for the day, such as to Manhattan. For walks or bike rides I don't bother. I just have no pressing need to know the time in those situations. For me wrist watches will probably always be my sole means of keeping track of time. I don't own a cell phone. I don't see that I ever would need one, either.

Flashaholic

I love watches, but my wallet don't, so i stick with the cheaper jap stuff.

I have a seiko kinetic and automatic, 2 casio g shocks (old ones), the casio TV remote one, a casio data watch, 2 citizen ecodrives. And recently i got a casio pro trek or what ever, with some temp sensors and such (digital).

I use a watch for a few months then when i get bored i switch. The one i have used most is the seiko automatic.
    And diff_lock said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Flashaholic*

I am something of a watch collector. Which means I do not own wristwatches to tell the time. Fellow enthusiasts understand that statement!

Statistically, very few consumers under 30 years old wear a watch. Of course, the watch industry is well aware of this fact, and has focused production on higher profit, higher-end watches which appeal more to the luxury conscious over 30 crowd with disposable income. As a consequence, sales in luxury watches have doubled annually for the last several years.

The watch below is one of the few watches I own that receives unsolicited remarks..

I've discovered, however, that for the most part, unless a timepiece has the easily recognized Rolex crown logo on it's dial, most people ignore what I'm wearing, expensive or not!

Far too many lights to list......

Well, if you come to this country people will know what you are wearing.....

BTW congratulations it's a very nice watch.

Ah, a Lange 1. My wife would kill me in my sleep. Oh well....

I also enjoy watches and always wear one. I have two Quartz watches

Casio Wave ceptor or whatever they call it, a sport watch that gets daily signals to set it.
    Citizen Eco Drive Perpetual

And several automatic

Oris World Timer
    Oris Rectangular complication
    Breitling Old Navitimer
    Jaeger Le Coultre Master Moon

And two hand wound

Nomos Tangente special edition Sommertime
    Gubelin (from my dad, he got it in the mid 60s)

Quote Originally Posted by indenial View Post
    I am something of a watch collector. Which means I do not own wristwatches to tell the time. Fellow enthusiasts understand that statement!

Statistically, very few consumers under 30 years old wear a watch. Of course, the watch industry is well aware of this fact, and has focused production on higher profit, higher-end watches which appeal more to the luxury conscious over 30 crowd with disposable income. As a consequence, sales in luxury watches have doubled annually for the last several years.

The watch below is one of the few watches I own that receives unsolicited remarks..

I've discovered, however, that for the most part, unless a timepiece has the easily recognized Rolex crown logo on it's dial, most people ignore what I'm wearing, expensive or not!

Man you just bought my dream watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodsta View Post

My dream is below;
    http://www.giulianomazzuoli.com/manometro_strength.html

Kiessling - you is a man of fine taste - what you think?
    I actually tried one on in Swizerland but it was just to big for my skinny runt wrists so I ended up getting a Brietling Aerospace Advantage instead. The Manometro's are such lookers and classically understated, unfortunately there ain't no wrist work out videos (please refrain from plumbing the gutter in response to that remark)
    Favs: TiPD-S's, Spy 007s

Flashaholic*

Default Re: I found the perfect watch for me

I started out with a mechanical Italian watch with a valjoux 7750 movement self winding and then to some tritium based Luminox.
    However all had their failings until I discovered this watch
    http://www.oceanus-us.com/index.php?...CW500TDA%2D1AV
    It's an Oceanus chronograph
    atomic time keeping
    solar powered
    perpetual calendar
    digital and analogue display
    two led lights that turn on when the watch senses darkness and you turn your wrist to look at the watch
    the more I wear this watch the more I appreciate its design and functionality
    when you always do what you've always done, you always get what you always got.

I used to want to carry a wrist-watch because, even though a cell phone can tell the time, the watch also had useful extra functions (stopwatch, multiple time zones,...,). But cell phones kept adding features, so like mini-computers they also now have alarms, multiple time zones, stopwatch functions, etc.

I guess I still carry the wrist-watch because in strong daylight my cell phone screen can wash out and be hard to see, and the watch is nearly bombproof (yes, I agree with the G-Force Casio guy) whereas the cell phone is kind of finicky and its batteries can run out on you at any moment whereas the watch can keep going for ten years without needing anything (yes, again, the G-Force is solar powered and can go on for several months even away from the Sun...the ten years refers to the life of the solar-rechargeable batteries).

Plus, the wrist-watch, being an "atomic" time-keeping device, is usually more accurate than the cell phone, which is supposed to get accurate time from the cellular network but...

Anyway, the funny thing is that things could be turning around again! There is now a watch that will let you know that your cell phone or PDA has received a message or an email! So now you need your watch to track what your cell phone is doing! Isn't technology great?

I gave up wearing wristwatches because they don't survive long on my wrist.
    My Swiss Army knife (Victorinox Traveller Lite) gives me the time, and the
    temperature and altitude.

the seiko SKX781 "orange monster" is what I have on my wrist most of the time. If Im going to do something really rough-and-tumble, then its a G-shock for me
    there are three important things for a good life: 1) good health 2) meaningful relationships and 3) financial security...darn it flashlights are more important than financial securityI would much rather be poor living in the light than be rich in the dark

I'm also one of those who feel naked without a watch and I'm 22 years old so I guess I don't fall under the statistics mentioned above. I wear it everyday, 24/7 including sleeping and having a bath. I started wearing watches since I was a kid.

I recently got a Seiko Alarm Chronograph (Criteria SNA643P1)

http://www.likebuy.com/showproduct.asp?id=1860

Decided to go back to battery due to my experience with a broken spring on my Seiko 5.

In the past 5+ years I've been wearing a Seiko 5 (automatic) but it's now at the shop for tuning coz it's not very accurate anymore since it broke it's spring 2+ years ago. The shop needs about two weeks to tune back it's accuracy, but back then I couldn't wait that long without a watch and had to reset the time every week. I'll continue wearing this watch for rougher stuff when I get it back.
    Last edited by MetalZone; 01-13-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Suunto watches are great if you're looking for functions. It is a tool, though, not a toy.

Mine is a Xlander that I've worn non-stop for going on 7 years.

Flashaholic

My Rolex sits in a drawer where it's been for about 15 years. I take it out and wind it about once a year. My everyday watch is a Casio Titanium Sea Pathfinder. My work watch (I use the outer bezel for timing) is a Stainless Corvette Logo watch that I picked up at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. And my dressier (I NEVER dress up. That's what being retired is all about.) watch is a Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive Chrono. And I still work part time as a tour guide so I need the Vette watch for tour timing.

How about a watch with an inbuilt cell phone

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Touch-Screen-...QQcmdZViewItem

Ive religiously worn a watch since middle school, its always been a lower end digital model from casio as thats what my brother always wore. even with a cell phone in my pocket I always wear one, like most have said here I feel naked without it. I just feel weird if I leave the dorm without my wallet, knife, and watch... even when I go to class in PJ's.

I dont take my watch off to shower, only when Im working on a diy project (dont want to short anything out ) and about once a week to wash the skin underneath it.

as a graduation gift my father gave me his dive watch thats he's worn for the last four years, I cant read it well but I still wear it everyday.

also I just think they look snazzy, watches complete an outfit and feel good on your wrists. (and how else would I ever know the date? )

Quote Originally Posted by ACMarina View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I've found my cell phone battery dead FAR more often than my watch battery..

I've worn a watch constantly since elementary school. I don't switch watches until I feel the need to do so - right now I'm wearing a Traser h3 titanium dive watch..
    Agreed. Watches are WAY more reliable IMO. I couldn't imagine not wearing a watch. I have a sweet Casio G-Shock solar that is highly reliable and has atomic timekeeping
    Register your Smart PD(D10, D20, EX10) at the official registry
    To prevent catastrophes, please make sure that brain is online before mouth moves.

Although I have a small collection of watches (Panerai, Breitling, Rolex, Chopard, Omega etc.) which I am wearing rotational, I currently prefer the Fortis B-42 Marinemaster. It's lightweight, very durable, has a good night readability and the band is rubber, not plastic. It is 200m waterproof and commodious to wear.

I can resist anything but temptation. Oscar Wilde

Ritch - thx for that picture; I wear a Sea-Dweller 99% of the time, and a Luminox with rubber strap the other 1%, and if/when the Luminox dies I'll keep the B-42 in mind as a auto winding replacement!

Flashaholic*

Do any watches use a larger lithium like a 2016?
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jayflash View Post
    Do any watches use a larger lithium like a 2016?
    Some "10 year battery" Casio watches like the MTD-1043 run on bigger lithiums.

At home, I have a Lorus watch that has a electroluminescent backlight that also used a bigger lithium.

Might have been a CR2025.

A very quick web search reveals that the following Casio watches run on 2016 batteries:
    Casio AW-80-1AVDF
    Casio AQ-160WD-2BV
    Casio AQ-160WD-1BV
    Casio AW-80D-1AV
    Casio AQ-160W-1BVDF
    Casio G-8000-1V
    Casio AQ-163W-7B1VDF
    Casio W-754H-1AVDF
    Casio DW-56RTB-7
    Casio G-8100-7
    Casio G-056B-1V
    Casio DW-56RTB-3
    Casio AQ-163WG-1BV
    Casio G-8100-4
    Casio G-8000B-3V
    Casio F-94WA-9
    Casio AW-80D-7AV
    Casio AW-80D-2AV
    Casio AW-80-7AV
    Casio G-8000F-7
    Casio G-8000F-4
    Casio WAG76001VCR
    Casio DW6900MC-7A
    Casio AQ-160W-7BVDF
    Casio G-Shock G-056B-1V
    Casio G-Shock G-056B-2VDR
    "There is a thought that stops thought. That is the only thought that ought to be stopped."
    -- G. K. Chesterton

I forget to charge my cell phone at times. Not much of a concern with a watch. I'll always wear one.

When I'm at home, I take off my watch. But when I'm outside, I always wear one (unless I'm snowboarding). Men don't usually have many jewlery or accessories, so to me my watch, knife, and flashlights are my jewlery.

Watches can be a very expensive hobby!!!

If your a "Watchaholic" you can get into debt very quickly!!

My Fav are "Automatic Skeletonized" watches. There nothing better than looking at the movement beat via the crystal.

For beginers for less than 100 bucks check these out at your local W-Mart, sears, target etc... stores

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6562456

My wish list watch is a little known swiss brand here in the US. They just started to sell them here a couple years ago....Check out the Chronomasters

http://www.zenith-watches.com/script...d=0_0&langid=0

Due to the similar name with the "Zenith" electronics here in the US they were not able to be marketed or sold here by any Authorized dealers. You could have gotten them from someone who got them from overseas or the caribean...

Once you imerss yourself into watches its a whole other world, you learn about the movement manufactures for example "ETA" they make most of the movements in name brand stuff like TAG Huer, Omega, etc.. You'll find out that the watch world has a few big "movement" maufactures that supply most of the guts to the companies who then slap the "brand name" on it. They will get the 500 - 7000 price tag... Then there are the few small watch manufactures that make "in-house" movements and you plan on paying top dollar for those 10000+ etc....

BTW Most Rolexs have movements made by "Rolex" in-house but the Rolex Daytona watch was using a modified "Zenith" movement untill a few years ago....
    SureFire6PDw/M60, CabelaXPGw/M60, Surefire6Pw/A19&M60F, Mini-Magw/5EX, Scorpionw/TL3, MagChargerw/1160, Mag3D1185, Romisen RC-N3Q5, TiabloA9, Surefire3Pw/M30, BrinkmannMFLXw/1343, Minimagw/TL3

This is what I'm wearing right now:

Arno

Crazy Re: Wrist watches

Quote Originally Posted by arnof View Post
    This is what I'm wearing right now:

Arno

Nice, but what is it? And what functions can you activate with the pushbuttons?

Banned

Buttrock Re: Wrist watches

CASIO G SHOCKS are the best i have three of them all different versions of the G shock.I am very active and use my hands alot and have never had one of there bands break on me there great.I have one that is atomic and solar.another solar and one with a ten year battery.ive had the solar ones for a few years now never a problem they are by far way more accurate than an expensive swiss or rolex or something witch can be as inaccurate as +15 -15 sec a day.my g shocks only ad between 0 to +15 seconds a month if that and my atomic solar is always exactly right down to the split second because it sets itself to the atomic clock 6 times a day.this is my newest acquisition http://youtube.com/watch?v=YtXn9-tdMz4 a good place to buy watches for a good price.http://www.xcelwatches.com/servlet/t...Gulfman/Detail
    Last edited by husky20; 05-29-2008 at 01:01 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast