PEAK
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wrist watches

Default Re: Wrist watches

EDC - My Rolex Submariner, runs spot on accurate! I put it though its paces too!

Dressy/suit - My Stowa Antea 365

Other EDC's - My Oris'

^^Click for my beamshots!!^^ My Flashlights

I got this a while back.

It is much lighter that it looks. Much lighter than my blade watch.

A Movado Valor made of scratch resistant tungsten carbide.

Fenix TK35, TK50, LD20R4, LD15, E05R2, HL20 Headlamp ** ZebraLight SC52, H501 and H600F Headlamps ** Trustfire TR-3T6 ** Ultrafire UF-T70 ** Nitecore EA4 ** Xeno E03 V3 XM-L ** DRY w/ 5 amp driver ** Solarforce L2, L2T, L2P, L2M hosts w/ Ultrafire XM-L Drop-Ins

Bought my first automatic back in June. A handsome Orient black Mako. Company based in Japan. Now owned by Seiko. The Mako line uses an Orient in-house movement. The line is known for very good accuracy among automatic watches that are non-COSC. Indeed very inexpensive and very accurate. Mine was more or less consistent over the months I owned it. Apparently I'm not the only one who thought it was a good looking watch. One of my classmates at the medical institute I attend stole it out of a secure drawer.

I've decided to replace the watch with one exactly like it. Had it on a nice 2-ring Zulu strap.

My current EDC watch is one I got back in December as a Christmas gift from my folks. Citizen Eco-Drive BM7080-03E model. Also very handsome. Quite a bit more expensive than my Mako. The Citizen is rather formal looking. Wears a bit bigger than it actually is. Eco-Drive technology works very well. All of the advantages of quartz movement, without the disadvantages. Some Eco-Drive watches have been known to last 10 - 12 years before needing the rechargeable battery replaced by Citizen.

A watch is simply too pragmatic not to wear one. And, there are some truly handsome models out there.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 12-07-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Evilgrin07 Re: Wrist watches

My Daily wrist gear is my vintage 1980 Sub ...

This one is a Dievas Divergraph. No longer in production. Has been a very good watch. I purchased it here http://www.gnomonwatches.com/images/...atoGWIndex.jpg a few years ago. They never offered a model without a rotating "Diver" style bezel. They did offer a non chrono version named "Dievas Zeta Phantom". I own a Phantom as well. Great dial layout.

Originally Posted by kaichu dento
    Weklund, who makes that watch, and do they have any non-diver models with the trits?
    Last edited by weklund; 10-09-2011 at 01:42 AM.
    ....."Happy Landings".....

Flashaholic

Most of the time: Submariner LV (wedding gift from my mother in law)

Only for very rough activity or working in project site: Seiko Black Monster

Another unused watch in my drawer (used daily prior to above seiko purchase) Swatch Chronograph. Cant find a better photo but its exactly like this one on someone else' arm

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BT132435 View Post
    i have a cell phone
    Not to be too controversial, watches are not likely to give you eyeball cancer or brain cancer that doesn't show up for 20 years.I live 1500' from an AM radio station, and (if I wasn't in a weak point in the field strength and if I wasn't so old) or (if I had kids living here), I'd move. The effect is worse with the higher freqs that cell phones use.

Flashaholic

My edit button doesn't work.Kindly changeNot to be too controversial, watches are not likely to give you eyeball cancer or brain cancer that doesn't show up for 20 years.toNot to be too controversial, but watches are not likely to give you eyeball cancer or brain cancer that doesn't show up for 20 years.

A former co-worker of mine had a so-called Smartphone.

One night, when he was supposed to relieve me at midnight, he didn't show. Now that sort of nonsense was something I've gotten used to. Well, not really. It was just no longer a HUGE surprise when it happened. Still got my blood pressure up every time it did. Thing is, he wasn't usually the one doing it. He did, early on. But he had gotten much more reliable. Usually when something like this happens, I'm stuck working another shift on less than last minute's notice, until the individual scheduled to come in at 8am arrives.

Turns out, my midnight relief was running late. But he didn't know it because he dropped his Smartphone onto the sidewalk. Touch-screen crapped out. He couldn't call to say he was running late, and he couldn't check the time because the screen was out. He also couldn't pick up if anyone called him, because the screen was out. He honestly didn't realize he was running ridiculously late, instead of somewhat late. He arrived nearly an hour later. I had to go to bat for him in order to make sure the client didn't fire his butt.

That's one example. But I've learned over the years not to place too much faith in cellphones. Smartphones with their touch-screens are ridiculously fragile, even when carried with a protective sleeve. Plus, I'm lazy. I'd rather just turn my wrist a bit instead of digging out my cellphone from my pocket, just to tell the time. And then shoving it back in there.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

I have an automatic Invicta that I currently wear all the time, its nice but it is off about a minute every 2 weeks (acceptable for a cheap automatic IMO). I'm looking at this watch: Casio link: http://www.casio.com/products/Watche...ock/GW5600J-1/, Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GW5600J-...8205170&sr=1-6. I am considering it because a digital watch would be better when I work out, etc. Due to limited funds it would probably be a gift around Christmas. It is solar powered, digital, and it keeps perfect time based on a radio signal in Fort Collins (as do some clocks that I own). Any comments or is there any other "atomic" digital watches that anyone recommends?
    Last edited by TyJo; 10-09-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Here's a few of Seiko Automatic's

Fenix TK35, TK50, LD20R4, LD15, E05R2, HL20 Headlamp ** ZebraLight SC52, H501 and H600F Headlamps ** Trustfire TR-3T6 ** Ultrafire UF-T70 ** Nitecore EA4 ** Xeno E03 V3 XM-L ** DRY w/ 5 amp driver ** Solarforce L2, L2T, L2P, L2M hosts w/ Ultrafire XM-L Drop-Ins

Few writshots of some of mine...

Cheers

RBR

This pathfinder has really become my recent favourite

Let there be light.

Flashaholic*

That's probably the ultimate chick magnet!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post

Ironically, there is a Zulu strap made for the iPad Nano that allows it to be worn as a wrist-watch.

Flashaholic*

I've seen the adapter albeit not the zulu one, they actually look decent. But the nano is smaller than some of the watches out there too.

Sent from a Galaxy S2 far far away

Evilgrin07 Re: Wrist watches

If my Sub takes a crap this beauty will always be there for my back up dive piece.

Last edited by weklund; 03-11-2012 at 08:02 AM.
    ....."Happy Landings".....

Unenlightened

I love my G-Shock GA-120.

The normally overwrought looking G-Shock 110 suddenly goes very right in black and gold..

Bit surprised I didn't post this already. Pic of my overall best (in terms of quality, not price) watch: Citizen BM7080-03E model.

*Really wish Photobucket was more user-friendly. Pic bigger than expected.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 04-08-2012 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Clarification.

Ana-digi + carbon fiber + Red Bull..

Your phone says you have mail! And it's 10:58..

One of 4 watches 1 own.
    Last edited by alantch; 04-10-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Today on EBay: Antique luminous watch paint repair kit, contains one tin of green and one tin yellow, still glows - not a surprise given that RADIUM HAS A RATHER LENGTHY HALFLIFE..

No idea how the seller plans on shipping this, since it's guaranteed to set off any and every kind of radiation detector that comes near it..

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Today on EBay: Antique luminous watch paint repair kit, contains one tin of green and one tin yellow, still glows - not a surprise given that RADIUM HAS A RATHER LENGTHY HALFLIFE..

No idea how the seller plans on shipping this, since it's guaranteed to set off any and every kind of radiation detector that comes near it..
    You raise an interesting question StarHalo but I know you can purchase radioactive isotopes and uranium ore samples from a legitimate online dealer like United Nuclear , so my guess is it must be ok to ship radium watch paint. Maybe you need to be licensed or fill out special paperwork.
    Last edited by EZO; 04-10-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Seiko Astron; solar-powered with GPS set - just press a button and the GPS signal sets the correct time based on your location:

Cyrus Klepcys Mars watch; the scaled Mars at the lower right is an actual, correct globe of Mars, which rotates precisely at the same rate as the planet, so it functions as a sunrise/set/phase map.

I currently wear an all black Suunto core but might have to switch to a smart watch once they come to market.

Kick Starter project comments removed. Looks like this is a round about way of asking/suggesting members to contribute to the fund. This borders on spam or shilling even though the intention here by poster may be innocent. Original post saved for record..
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 04-17-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Spam or shilling

Flashaholic*

I currently wear a Gshock GW5600J and plan to get another Gshock at some point (preferably negative display with solar and atomic features if they make one). Years from now when I have the funds to spend, I would like to get an automatic watch with tritium display. I have an automatic Invicta that is off about 1-2 minutes a week, which doesn't work for me, which is why I love my Gshock that gets automatic time updates daily and is still accurate within 15 seconds a month without them. Is there a tritium automatic out there that keeps decent time?