4 Sevens
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wrist watches

Default Re: Wrist watches

Hi TyJo,

accuracy and automatic watches is a matter of money and / or luck and i would say in a price range that you are after it is rather luck than money, no matter if Tritium or not.

For getting only almost the same accuracy of your G-Shock with an automatic watch by price you would have to spend from 3.000 Dollars upwards and also a COSC certificate does only mean that the movement worked at a sufferable accuracy (compared to the vast mass of Quartz watches) at the date of testing.

Beside the above mentioned, the accuracy of automatic watches depends on many factors, starting with the way you lay your watch onto your nightstand...

Automatic watches do also need regular maintenance, what means that you will roughly have to plan spending approx. 10% +/- of the retail price for this all few years.

There are "cheap" automatic watches such as low range Seikos, Citizens, Orients, Maurice Lacroix... that can show pretty good accuracy too but as mentioned above, this is rather though their movement than because.

So in my opinion you should not consider buying an automatic, you will very likely only be disappointed.

Cheers

RBR

As far as watch accuracy is concerned, I've always been big fan of periodic visits to shortwave Radio Station WWV.

Take your Invicta to a local watchmaker, he can regulate it to be very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by EZO View Post
    As far as watch accuracy is concerned, I've always been big fan of periodic visits to shortwave Radio Station WWV.
    +1, this is how I set my watch yearly. For those who aren't particularly interested in shortwave radio but would like to receive the time signal, this $10 radio works nicely.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for the replys everyone, my current Gshock receives that radio signal from Fort Collins every night and I have some clocks that do the same. I realized automatics weren't the most accurate and I will probably stay away from them unless I have some serious funds I feel I need to spend. I didn't realize automatics required that much maintenance, which is the reason I found automatics attractive (no changing batteries). Looks like I'll stick with my solar/atomic (radio) Gshock 5600J and get my Invicta adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    Thanks for the replys everyone, my current Gshock receives that radio signal from Fort Collins every night and I have some clocks that do the same. I realized automatics weren't the most accurate and I will probably stay away from them unless I have some serious funds I feel I need to spend. I didn't realize automatics required that much maintenance, which is the reason I found automatics attractive (no changing batteries). Looks like I'll stick with my solar/atomic (radio) Gshock 5600J and get my Invicta adjusted.
    Honestly, you don't need to spend a huge amount of money to get an automatic that is very good at time keeping. Buy a watch, wear it daily, keep track of how many seconds it's losing or gaining. If it's too much, take it to a watchmaker and have it regulated. Still, Invicta is far from the best of the inexpensive automatics out there. Actually, Orient has a reputation for excellent accuracy (among inexpensive automatics). Before my black Mako was stolen it averaged +8 seconds. Literally just one second out of COSC. Considering I paid a little over $100 for mine, one second out of COSC was perfectly fine by me.

Just the nature of the beast . . . The cheapest quartz watch is simply going to keep better time than some automatics worth as much as a nice house. And, I'm not exaggerating when I say that. Chances are though, with a bit of care and routine servicing (about once every 5 years or sooner if the accuracy gets way off); a well-made automatic can last decades if not longer.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I do my aforementioned time setting roughly once a year because my Citizen Skyhawk loses just under two seconds a month; although I think the atomic set feature is awesome, there's no way I could limit my choice of watch to only those with the feature.

Another handy and totally free time "signal" option is the online Official NIST Time widget. (National Institute of Standards & Technology) It claims only a .01 second network delay.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    +1, this is how I set my watch yearly. For those who aren't particularly interested in shortwave radio but would like to receive the time signal, this $10 radio works nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by EZO View Post
    Last edited by EZO; 04-21-2012 at 12:09 AM.

A very important article written in the tradition of what constitutes being a man and how it relates to the thirty-two steps needed to check the power steering fluid on a Porsche Boxster and why you should be proud of your good-enough digital watch.

Screw "good enough!"

If "good enough" was just fine, We'd still be driving Ford Model-Ts and Porsche wouldn't even exist.

Digital watches are "good enough." And that's the problem! There's nothing special about them. No one passes down a digital watch. They're pragmatic to the extreme. Nothing special, sentimental, or emotion-evoking about them.

Personally, I've got my eye on an Oris Artix GT Day Date. (Something a bit more than just "good enough.")
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    If "good enough" was just fine, We'd still be driving Ford Model-Ts and Porsche wouldn't even exist.

Digital watches are "good enough." And that's the problem! There's nothing special about them. No one passes down a digital watch. They're pragmatic to the extreme. Nothing special, sentimental, or emotion-evoking about them.
    Nothing surprising about this sentiment on a forum for flashlight enthusiasts!
    There are items in my possession that belong to either the 'good enough' classification as well as those which possibly qualify for the 'obsessive' rankings!
    If finances allow I'll eventually have one of my favored Omega Constellations, but will most likely never find myself in possession of a Piaget.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Nothing surprising about this sentiment on a forum for flashlight enthusiasts!
    There are items in my possession that belong to either the 'good enough' classification as well as those which possibly qualify for the 'obsessive' rankings!
    If finances allow I'll eventually have one of my favored Omega Constellations, but will most likely never find myself in possession of a Piaget.
    I must admit, I'm extremely happy that there's nothing in the $4,000+ range of watches that appeals to me. (And only one model just below that range.)

Under $2,000 has some really good watches that have caught my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I must admit, I'm extremely happy that there's nothing in the $4,000+ range of watches that appeals to me. (And only one model just below that range.)

Under $2,000 has some really good watches that have caught my eye.
    I wish I could say the same, but at least I no longer think of Piaget's like this one, which is available used for just a bit over $12,000!
    Thankfully I like quite a few watches under $2,000 too!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    I wish I could say the same, but at least I no longer think of Piaget's like this one, which is available used for just a bit over $12,000!
    Thankfully I like quite a few watches under $2,000 too!
    I hate that Blancpain turned the iconic Fifty Fathoms into such a gaudy-looking timepiece with their current iteration. But my wallet and bank account are happy about it.

It's odd how many folks assume that you get increased durability when you buy a watch worth several thousands of dollars. Then they learn the hard way that luxury and even high-end watches really don't work that way.

Some recent shots of the new dual time watch. Was a challenge to find the version I wanted. In the end I wound up getting the leather strap version and ordering a rubber strap. As far as I was told, this was mainly an Asia market time piece. The Hamilton dealers I spoke with here were able to order them but delivery time from Switzerland was 6-8 weeks out and no warranty since this is not a USA market watch.

Last edited by RA40; 10-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Mike

No warranty but you bought it from a Hamilton AD?

Wish I could say I was totally surprised, but the B.S. from the Swatch Group knows few bounds.

A good-looking watch though.

The dealer I bough from is an AD for Hamilton and other Swatch Co. brands. With this one it is a gray good with in store warranty of 2 years. The box was complete with all papers less the dealer stamp in the book. I started my search for this model back in '09 and was unsuccessful then. The dealers would show me the book but when calling the eastern distribution, this was not a US market watch. Plenty were here but I could not locate one with US papers for warranty. After giving up and finding less of them as time wore on, I bought what was available.

Same with Seiko, many models seen for the Asia market but the nice ones aren't here. Lots of watches that just don't get to these shores and or the shops distributing them are slim pickings. An online buddy just took delivery of a Sinn 103 Ti DIAPAL. I see those in magazines but have yet to lay my eyes on one.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
    The dealer I bough from is an AD for Hamilton and other Swatch Co. brands. With this one it is a gray good with in store warranty of 2 years. The box was complete with all papers less the dealer stamp in the book. I started my search for this model back in '09 and was unsuccessful then. The dealers would show me the book but when calling the eastern distribution, this was not a US market watch. Plenty were here but I could not locate one with US papers for warranty. After giving up and finding less of them as time wore on, I bought what was available.
    Sounds like you did an excellent job of convincing an AD to break the rules for you. Either that or the watch sat unsold for a long time. Please do not mention the actual name of the AD. If Hamilton or the Swatch Group found out that an AD was dabbling in the grey market, they'd likely lose their AD status.