Gerber Paraframes at Lowes

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
This week while at Lowes, I noticed these knives (Lowes prices are a few bucks less than these REI prices):

Paraframe Mini: http://www.rei.com/product/738186
Paraframe 1: http://www.rei.com/product/700567
Paraframe 2: http://www.rei.com/product/700568

Must say that I like the functional, minimalist design of these knives. Their blades look similar to the Gerber AR 3.0 which I've EDCed on and off for the last several years and have been generally happy with. The slim, streamlined handles and light weight make the Paraframes look to be decent EDC/beater knives that would slide in and out of a pocket easily. Unlike most of you guys, I don't EDC my more expensive knives. I'm always afraid of losing an expensive knife, and then I'm reluctant to actually use it for fear of damage.

Anyways, anyone have an opinion on the Paraframes? Most of the reviews I've seen so far have been positive.

P.S. for those who are interested, Lowes is now carrying two types of SOG folders, Twitch and Flash, IIRC.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I didnt see this sooner. They are all you say they are. The only downside is the steel, it does not stay sharp for very long.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I didnt see this sooner. They are all you say they are. The only downside is the steel, it does not stay sharp for very long.

Thanks for the response, guyg.

That's fine with me for a knife at that price level. With an EDC-beater knife, I expect to touch up its edge every couple of weeks.

If I expect to do enough cutting to dull the knife before finishing a task, I carry a telescoping diamond sharpener in my shirt pocket.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
you'll be sharpening it every time you use it.The 440 that Gerber uses,that I have gets dull just sitting around.For $30 you can do better.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Mini-Paraframe I've carried typically a couple days a week for the last few years. I usually carry it in a pocket when wearing shorts or sweats around our property. If it falls out and is lost I'm not out much money, but it hasn't happened so far. I use it for general cutting tasks, and haven't had to sharpen it yet.

I have Kershaw Vapor II's in three of our cars for emergency use, but will probably add one of the bigger Paraframes in the fourth. One of the better cheap knives around that I've found, and I have quite a few I've tried over the years.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
you'll be sharpening it every time you use it.The 440 that Gerber uses,that I have gets dull just sitting around.For $30 you can do better.

Lowes normally sells the Paraframe 1 for $19.95 - and often has knives on sale for considerably less than normal.

Even at 20 bucks the Paraframe is a solid value for a 3-inch blade, one-hand-opening framelock, that's lightweight and has decent ergonomics.

Couple of years ago I bought a black-coated, partially serrated Gerber AR 3.0 at Lowes when it was marked down from $30 to $15. That AR 3.0 has been an excellent utility knife that I carry and use every day, because I'm not worried about losing it or breaking it.

The AR 3.0 gets sharpened after several weeks of daily use - or possibly after several months - depending on how heavily it's been used. Doesn't bother me to quickly touch up the blade after several weeks of daily use.

The local Lowes also has SOG Twitch and SOG Flash available, which look decent for 40 and 45 bucks, IIRC. If you are a SOG fan, keep an eye out for Lowes sales because they'll likely have SOG knives marked down along with the other knives.

Local Lowes also has several very nice Case slipjoints at reasonable prices and the Victorinox Soldier for $10.xx IIRC.

Pistolero

Enlightened
I didn't realize Lowes carried knives!

Anyhow, I have a paraframe I that I've used for about 2 or 3 years and I've beaten the crap out of it. With a good sharpener tho, you can get a decent
blade edge.

And no, it doesn't hold the edge very well, but I'm not afraid to use or abuse this knife.

Our local wal-mart carries it too. $19 for the Para I and $25 for the Para II

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize Lowes carried knives!

Lowes still stocks knives, but sadly their selection is greatly reduced compared to a few years back. Nowdays their entire knife selection is limited to one half-height, end-cap display case.

Basically two different models of each of the following brands: Gerber, Case, Victorinox, SOG, Kobalt (Lowes house brand) and one other el cheapo generic brand, Appalachian Trail IIRC.

Anyhow, I have a paraframe I that I've used for about 2 or 3 years and I've beaten the crap out of it. With a good sharpener tho, you can get a decent
blade edge...And no, it doesn't hold the edge very well, but I'm not afraid to use or abuse this knife.

Same thing with my Gerber AR 3.0 - a couple of years of daily use and abuse. That knife can take a licking and keep on ticking. It's seen some serious cutting and a little prying, been dropped many times, been soaking wet many times, but still looks pretty good, locks up tight as ever, and takes a decent edge. A great beater knife.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Paraframe2 for about 2 years. Its saw typical work-knife abuse, but nothing outrageous, and not much in the way of lock abuse. Then one day the lock self-destructed. The framelock arm literally broke off for no reason as I was closing the knife. I'm just glad it wasn't while in-use. Couple that with a lack-luster edge holding and a HORRIBLE factory edge and I'm completely NOT impressed with the knife.

That said, Gerber did stand by their product 100% and within 3 weeks I have a brand new para 2 at my door.

All said, I would agree its a good beater knife, and with the serrated edge, even if you dull it out it'll still cut. Plus their cheap. just be careful about the lock and its a decent beater.

I also have had a paraframe mini (PE) that I've EDC a few times. Nice little knife, takes a wicked edge but again doesn't hold it well at all. And major lack of lock strength.

Now i carry a Spyderco native in S30V, and while I would rather something more like a sanvick (mabe 13C26) it does fine. For $40 its a GREAT deal t wally world, and while te S30V isn't the best at holding a RAZOR edge, it'll hold that "man I should sharpen this knife but I'm just too lazy" edge for a damn long time. Plus the lock is PLENTY strong.

ReadyFreddy23

Newly Enlightened
I bought one from Lowe's because of some of the reviews on this forum. Unfortunately, I hated the knife. The handle felt very small in my hands. The handle was slippery. The steel wasn't good. I brought it back the next day. I figured for a couple of dollars more I'll get the Boker Trance. It'll be here Monday. I'll let you know my thoughts about it.

cutlerylover

Banned
I had one iof these years ago....Not a bad knife, I got mine in a trade...Its a good knife, but I agree with the fact that these days for $30 you have alot to choose from...I will say I loved mine back in the day but I would not buy another, only because of what else is out there in the market now at a similar price....the Byrd series knives are by far the best bang for the buck these days in my opinion...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a good knife, but I agree with the fact that these days for $30 you have alot to choose from...I will say I loved mine back in the day but I would not buy another, only because of what else is out there in the market now at a similar price...

REI has Gerber Paraframes on sale:
-Mini for 8 bucks
-PI for 17 bucks
-PII for 20 bucks

At these prices, Paraframes would make decent working-EDC knives when damaging or losing a more expensive knife is likely.