...I would like think so:
1) Unlimited upgrades - as manufacturers come up with better LEDs, drop-in makers can produce better modules. We purchase them, insert them into our lights, and, voila! Upgrade!
2) The drop-ins can fit in a variety ofl lights. Who's to say that someone doesn't come up with their own custom drop-in platform?
3) Innovation - we now have a drop-in capable of multiple light levels with the introduction of the Wolf Eyes Cree 4-mode model
4) Reparability - if, for some reason, your drop-in fails, you don't have to send the whole light back, just the drop-in. You can always slap another one in. Who doesn't have just one drop-in here anyway?
5) Price - drop-ins are cheaper than a whole light.