EOS (with P4 mod) vs Lumapower LM303

DanCP

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide between a PT EOS with a p4 mod and a Lumapower LM303 flashlight. I was going to go with the LM 303 because I think it would make a good commuter bicycle light with its floody beam. It is small and I could keep it in my underseat tool pouch. I would only run the light for 1 hour max - usually less.

I have been reading about the EOS with the p4 mod and now I am not sure which light would be better for me. Here are a few questions I have when comparing the Eos with P4 mod and the Lumipower LM303:

1. Beam Quality - which would be more suitable for bicycle commuting?
2. Run times - which would last longer?
3. Regulation quality - I would prefer a flat regulation chart.
4. Which would be brighter?

I haven't decided yet whether to use rechargeables or not. I've heard that nimh's loose power over time. This light would only be used occasionally and I'd hate for the batteries to be flat if I get caught in the dark.

I like the Eos because it doesn't require a separate battery pack.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't decided yet whether to use rechargeables or not. I've heard that nimh's loose power over time. This light would only be used occasionally and I'd hate for the batteries to be flat if I get caught in the dark.

Can't address your main question as i've only used stock/un-modified Eos and a LM303 is in the mail, even as i write - so, no experience with that either. I'll leave that to someone who knows what they're talkin' about.

However, there are low-selfdischarge NiMh batteries (aka hybrid batteries) now available. Instead of losing up to 20% per month, they lose ~20% per year (or so, i've read). They can be charged in most intelligent (semi-intelligent???) NiMh chargers too. So, you probably don't have to run out and purchase a new batt. charger.

Sanyo Eneloop, Accupower Acculoop, and Uniross Hybrio are just three examples of such hybrid/lo-selfdischarge batteries. I've have both AAA and AA sizes.

Of course, you could go with Li primary batteries too (either Energizer e2 Li AAA for the Eos, or CR123A for the 303) and not have to worry about either COLD or SHELF-LIFE/TIME being factors in your ability to make use of your light.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I haven't decided yet whether to use rechargeables or not. I've heard that nimh's loose power over time. This light would only be used occasionally and I'd hate for the batteries to be flat if I get caught in the dark...

Some newer NiMH batteries are now Low Self Discharge: Sanyo Eneloops, Rayovac Hybrids and Titanium Low Self Discharge batteries don't loose much power over time. There are many threads about these batteries, and most opinions are very favorable. You do loose a bit of capacity, but they would still last well over an hour in most LED lights. IIRC they hold about 75% of their charge for six months. "Free Lumens"

DanCP

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that info! I figured that those newer nimh batteries were more powerful but I didn't know about the slower discharge.

I think I am going to order the LM303 and the Eos & modification parts. I have a need for both a headlamp and LM303 anyways. I'll let everybody know how they run when I get them.

I would still appreciate hearing from others regarding those lights.

P.S. Do lithium ions batterys hold their charge well?