Use your computer's idle CPU cycles for research!

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use your computer\'s idle CPU cycles for research!

Yes, you've heard of SETI, FightAIDS@Home, and UD. These client programs use your idle CPU processes to research and process information. If you want to help, please download these clients and join a team I created especially for CPF called... CPF. This is for SETI and FightAIDS @ Home only. Thanks a lot!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Use your computer\'s idle CPU cycles for resear

My system has 1117 hours of research time with 29 data units completed for SETI.

<font color="red">Question </font> : Is there a way to change my "account" to the CPF Team?
<font color="blue">Answer </font> : Yes, however I need to "find" my original password to do that. I have it somewhere, perhaps they have a "lost password" feature...

<font color="red"> Question </font> : What is joining the "CPF Team" going to do for me/us? I see something about "rewards/points" or something, but have never checked it out.
<font color="blue"> Answer </font> : ??

<font color="red">"Last" Question </font>: I see there are quite a few "add-ons". I've not "dabbled" with any of those either. Is anyone familiar enough with the whole SETI "program" to recommend any of these as "gotta haves" or "nice to haves"?
<font color="blue">Answer</font>: ??

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

Use the link above to change your account.

"What is joining the "CPF Team" going to do for me/us if my account can be switched? I see something about "rewards/points" or something, but have never checked it out..."

Err... to be honest with you... I have no effing idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I just discovered the add-ons. I'll try each one and see if they are good or not. Stay tuned...

aso

Enlightened

I just joined the team.

I use the commandline client, and three add-ons: SETI Driver, SETI Spy and SETI@ Support.

SETI Driver is a WU caching utility( download more than 1 WU at a time).
SETI Spy is a client watcher( tracks the progress of of the commandline client, basic graphical charts, computer performance, keeps logs, sky map)

SETI @Support is a java based skymap that shows you the position of the wU's you completed on a sky chart. It also keeps logs and basic graphical charts.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="red">Question </font> : Is there a way to change my "account" to the CPF Team?
<font color="blue">Answer </font> : Yes, however I need to "find" my original password to do that. I have it somewhere, perhaps they have a "lost password" feature...

[/ QUOTE ]

They do, right on that page above...

Brock

Flashaholic

Hummm, I have 6000 or 7000 on seti, I don't remember. If I add cpf does this change my personal stats? I know it says I won't, but I am confused.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Hummm, I have 6000 or 7000 on seti, I don't remember. If I add cpf does this change my personal stats? I know it says I won't, but I am confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just your personal affiliation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We got lots of people interested in SETI, but no one in FightAIDS @ Home or UD?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't bother with SETI, for the simple reason that truly advanced civilizations are not going to be limited to lightspeed and the "It is impossible" mindset of Earth 'Scientists'. Lightspeed is way too slow for interstellar communications and travel.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I pretty much agree Charles, however after my two teenage sons watched "Contact"...they were sort of "fired up" and I thought it was a good "science shot in the arm" for them. They are interested in astronomy as well, so it sort of goes hand in hand. Besides, I like science fiction too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

I like UD best personally and ran it for a bit. My sister is still running it. Did you make a CPF group for it? If so I'll go switch her over. Maybe install it on my dads computer again and look into it for Linux (Which can probably run SETI if not UD)

Monsters_Inc

Banned

Don't forget Folding@Home, run by Stanford University. It's researching the way natural proteins in our bodies interact with itself or "fold". Understanding this would help greatly in the fight against cancer.

I fold for Team 24 (OCAU) - Hey Star882, you Aussie too?

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened

I just jumped ship and am now a full fledged memeber of the CPF at Seti group (user Terry). The team leader gave up on the group last year and stopped submitting results so I figure now was as good a time to leave as ever.

While I don't believe that we'll ever communicate with E.T.'s., the best I think we'll ever do is ease drop on them and vice versa. The Seti project is there to help us know if we are infact all alone in the universe. Like in the movie contact, if an alien race pointed a listening device at Earth 50 Years ago, they would have concluede that they were all alone. Its just a matter at looking at the right place at the right time. No results mean look again.

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Re: Use your computer\'s idle CPU cycles for research!

It's worth pointing out that a computer's power consumption goes up when running these things. The expense is not a problem in most cases but the power consumption increases by 200 watts on my workstation, and the fans sound like a Hoover.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

WooHoo!
I'm in 179129th place.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Siriuslite

Newly Enlightened

Your getting to close for comfort /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, time to set up a server farm

I rank: 107,054th place.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could not find/was lazy and could not make a CPF team for UD. You can create one if you want and show me how to join...