Battery Junction - Olight

Thread: The S27 PD...

Default The S27 PD...

Just got home and had a nice little surprise waiting for me. This is such a cool light, probably my favorite McLight to date. The crenelations on this head are noticeably shallower than the ones on the Aluminum S27 PD, although I can't decide on which one looks better. One thing I did notice is that the twisting action on this one is not nearly as smooth as my fat tailed PD from the May wave. Why that is I don't know, but it is noticeable. Overall, Don has really out done himself with this light, the 27L head is just plain awesome! Now bring on the LunaSol's!

Last edited by TxTroubleMaker; 07-22-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Default Re: The S27 PD...

Thats so rare its not fair

What's not as smooth - the piston or the twisty head? If the head, it will smooth out over time. My Ti-27LT-S was the same way at first, but it's much smoother now. If you're talking about the piston, it may have a #016 silicone o-ring. It gives better water protection, but is slightly stiffer than the slightly smaller #015 alternative, which I prefer.

Sweet score!
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Quote Originally Posted by TxTroubleMaker View Post
    One thing I did notice is that the twisting action on this one is not nearly as smooth as my fat tailed PD from the May wave.
    I know that they need to be broken in, but the twist action on the PD from May is smoother than this light. As a matter of fact, some one had commented on that when they had just received their light back in May. I don't know if they were machined differently or what, but one is definitely smoother than the other. Not a big deal, just an observation...

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Adding to Tx's comparisons between the two, I took a couple quick pictures of the (for lack of better words) "experimental" S27 head and the standard one...

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.. and some junker light holdin' em up.

Red Trit..

As you can see from the second photo, the finish is slightly finer than the older one (besides my EDC marks ) - The tint on this one is very pure white, whereas the older S27-PD is a warmer vanilla white (preferable IMHO).

Thanks Don - very nice job with these.. not that I expected a junker!

john

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
    Thats so rare its not fair

Which one are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Yota View Post
    Which one are you talking about?
    Probably the aluminum one, if I'm not mistaken, there are only 4 in existence...

Tx, the S27s are really nice especially the black one. I am sure it is a great performer also...congrats
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

With all the ti around ... al is suddenly looking exotic and cool again ...

Nice pics there !!
    There is a type of perfection that transcends the quest for lumens. Buying a $250 1-cell light for "lum factor" is like buying a $250 single malt Scotch for the alcohol content.
    - paulr

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
    My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiessling View Post
    With all the ti around ... al is suddenly looking exotic and cool again ...

Nice pics there !!
    Yes, soon Don's Al lights will go for more on B/S/T than his Ti lights.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Quote Originally Posted by jch79 View Post
    Adding to Tx's comparisons between the two, I took a couple quick pictures of the (for lack of better words) "experimental" S27 head and the standard one...

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.

Standard on left, "experimental" on right.. and some junker light holdin' em up.

John, these pics are outstanding for describing the difference in the bezel styles from Don's latest run. EricMack and I were just talking yesterday about the S27 PD's that we received from it. Mine is the more pronounced crenelation style (like the one on the left) and Eric's is the newer "experimental" version with virtually no crenelation (like the one on the right). Interesting.

I have to say that I like the low profile crenelations. I've already dubbed it "Stealth Crenelations"

I'll also add that machining fit and finish on this light is superb, the most perfectly finished light from Don ever!

I'm really digging this experimental S27 !!!!!
    In looking at the "quasi before and after" Pics i think the flutes on the experimental model may be deeper as well on mine. I'll have to compare it to my friends Pile-O-S27's some time soon and confirm or deny that.

here are my pics

and just for fun my McFamily Money Shot.
    the only oddities here are my Mule Cx2 is a 611/125 high/low set up(I love tweakin!!!)

I love the s-27 and my Mcfamily!!!
    now its just a hold out for the LunaSol!
    thanks for all your great work Don.
    Jimmy
    "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user" Colonel Jeff Cooper >>>100% safe Queen Free!<<<

Very nice collection you have there knifebright!

Thx Tx
    its the very first time they've been alltogether so I decided to take advantage of the shot before they all ran to there respected pockets/bags/car/jacket homes!
    Even though its only lowly aluminum, i'm really really really diggin my new tacticool mounted Aleph19.
    Jimmy
    "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user" Colonel Jeff Cooper >>>100% safe Queen Free!<<<

Quote Originally Posted by knifebright View Post
    Even though its only lowly aluminum, i'm really really really diggin my new tacticool mounted Aleph19.
    Jimmy

I saw that, very cool and I bet it works well in that application.

Hi guys,
    I am in Berkeley this week sorting out the old shop and putting one last shipment together to send off to Maui. I received the balance of the new S27 heads just before I left but I didn't have a chance to unpack them and see where the crenelation detail ended up of if there isn't some more variation from part to part. Because the crenelation is primarily a cosmetic issue as long as there is some crenelation there to provide light excape on head down orientation, I left the shop plenty lattitude. They planned to come up with the best solution based on edges and bur consideration. I believe the opted for the shallower cuts but I really don't know at this point.

Since this new S27 head takes a different set of window O-rings, I am now thinking that it would have been best if all had been obviously different from the previous S27 heads to allow for identification. Duh!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**

Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad View Post
    John, these pics are outstanding for describing the difference in the bezel styles from Don's latest run. EricMack and I were just talking yesterday about the S27 PD's that we received from it. Mine is the more pronounced crenelation style (like the one on the left) and Eric's is the newer "experimental" version with virtually no crenelation (like the one on the right). Interesting.
    Thanks Troy! Did you happen to compare the.. umm.... butts on yours? I've got a skinny butt on the new S27-PD, and a fat butt on the old one.

We're lucky these switches aren't made of rubber... PSM would be trying to see if the bigger butts smell different!

john

I dont' think it matters, John, I believe he sniffs o-rings, too!
    Ray
    Good people need to be there for each other. It's the only way to stay sane in a sometimes insane world.

Quote Originally Posted by TxTroubleMaker View Post
    Probably the aluminum one, if I'm not mistaken, there are only 4 in existence...
    NO there are five in existence, I know this because I just picked one up from the MAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Yota View Post
    NO there are five in existence, I know this because I just picked one up from the MAN.
    Good for you, I was just going by the original sales thread where he stated that there only four of these made. Now that there five, mine doesn't feel so special anymore...

For a point of clarification, Yota's light is in a sub class all of its own. It has some interesting cosmetic uniqueness to it. It was so "special" that I held it back from the offering here on CPF. In form and function, it is akin to the other four. In looks and skin tone, it is different.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

These lights are of course beautiful either way, but I like the experimental version with the barely visible crenellation better. Crenellation has always looked too faux-tactical for my tastes.

yota,
    We need to see this "unique" light! Pics, we need pics!

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    For a point of clarification, Yota's light is in a sub class all of its own. It has some interesting cosmetic uniqueness to it. It was so "special" that I held it back from the offering here on CPF. In form and function, it is akin to the other four. In looks and skin tone, it is different.

McGizmo,

What's with the Face? I love the light even more because it's different than all the rest. When I have more time I will try to post up some pics.

My parts came in today from modmag's exotic coating GB. I really like the way that my PD body and clip came out, it really gives my aluminum S27 PD a stealthy look...

Last edited by TxTroubleMaker; 07-22-2007 at 10:22 PM.

TXTroubleMaker, can you please resize your pictures to 800x800 or smaller?

TIA!

Modamag always does great work. Which coating is that?
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    TXTroubleMaker, can you please resize your pictures to 800x800 or smaller?

TIA!

Modamag always does great work. Which coating is that?
    Pic fixed...

The body is HA III and clip is poished AlTiN.